Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Comments

• I finally manage to cancel you can see how i did it here

devsforrest.com/web/how-to-cancel-equifax-30-day-free-trial

You can email Member.Benefits@equifax.com
  • this is the real number to call and cancel your account i hope it helps

800-829-4577
  • I used this freephone number 0800 1214752 and got straight through to a lovely woman. It took me less that 2 minutes to cancel

Miss P

Thank you Miss Piggy. After spending 10 mins on hold on premium number I called this free phone one (0800 1214752). Still waited 20 mins and got the hard sell (including year of free alerts sell), but did manage to cancel and hopefully won't have been charged a fortune to do it. So much hassle wish I had never bothered with the so-called free trial!
  • mavvysmum
    mavvysmum Posts: 234 Forumite
    hi, wonder if anyone can help. a few months ago i did the equifax 30 day trial and cancelled as soon as i'd got my credit report, and got an email to confirm.
    I've since been the victim of credit card fraud and wanted to check my report once more so logged back in. I opted for the free credit report. Obviously they will still hold my card details from when i joined - does anyone know if they will start charging me monthly now that i logged back in? There were no messages or anything to say i'd be charged.
    November 2018 make £10/day - £21/£300
    November 2018 NSDs 1/15
    Emergency Fund /£1000
    Weight Lost lb/100lb
  • mandcj
    mandcj Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2012 at 1:55PM
    HI

Posting this as a warning to others. Four months ago Equifax started charging my credit card £2.99 monthly. On realising this I phoned their customer services (01274759759 option 1 if you want to avoid 0844/0845) and ended up speaking to a (sounded like) Indian subcontinent call centre. Nothing against this in principle but the strong accent of the service agent was difficult to follow. That didn't help an already disgruntled 'customer'.

I admit to having 'bought in' to a free credit report service, back in 2010. What I was completely unaware of was that when I cancelled this at the end of the introductory offer period, I was put on to some sort of 'lite' service with Equifax. This was apparently free for 12 months, after which I would start paying. If I understood the Indian (?) agent correctly, the onus was then on me to cancel the 'lite' service before the 12 months were up to avoid the monthly debit kicking in.

Now, I am the sort of person who diarises when payments etc. are due for action and I've never had this sort of problem before because I keep on top of the reminders. So I would have set myself a reminder to cancel at about 11 months. And that's assuming that I would have agreed to the 'lite' service in the first place, which for me is quite unlikely.

Apart from the above - even if I did have a brainstorm and missed the 12-month deadline - I think Equifax should have a practice of sending out reminders. Rather it seems they rely on people 'forgetting' they ever had the arrangement in the first place to make some money out of them. Using free trial periods is fine as a loss-leader to encourage customers, it is NOT fine if the likely aim is that at least some customers will get caught out and end up paying unintentionally.

Are credit reference agencies moderated by any watchdogs? Is there not some form of regulation against this sort of dodgy practice? I suspect not, Equifax are probably adhering to the letter of the law but that does little to protect consumers!

Rant over, I hope it helps someone else out there. I've only lost a few quid, it could be more for someone else. Needless to say I have now cancelled the arrangement.

Strong coffee now...
  • PurpleFox99
    PurpleFox99 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 June 2012 at 9:57AM
    Had the same experience as MANDCJ below:
    I opened an account with Equifax for a 30 day free trial in May 2011 so I could get the cashback offered through Quidco. I called to cancel during the trial period so I wouldn't be charged and spent at least 15 minutes trying to convince them that I didn't need it and openly stated I was just in it for the cashback.

Eventually I had the account closed, but was offered 1 years free alerts which I agreed to. What I was not told that was after a year it would automatically renew and I would be charged £2.99 a month. I did not receive anything in writing about this, nor a reminder within a reasonable period towards the end of the first years subscription telling me about this so I could cancel and the £2.99 just started coming out of my account even though I do not have a direct debit with them and my visa card number had changed!

When I spoke with Equifax they explained I did agree to this, I told them I did not, they said the couldn't refund me I'd have to raise a dispute via the website, but they would cancel the subscription. I have this in writing and am awaiting a response from their online team about my refund.

When dealing with this company I suggest confirming any fees and renewals and getting everything confirmed in writing.

I am no longer a member on the Equifax website so couldn't log in to get to any of the contact numbers! I used the 01274 759 759 number and option 1 for customer services as MANDCJ suggested and luckily I got someone who spoke good English which I see is rare.

I'm sure there are hundreds of people who have fallen for this after signing up for the trial to get chasback and contacting Equifax at this very moment after taking up the free alerts offer and suddenly being charge £2.99, it's a money maker for them relying on people to forget what they signed up to and not sending them reminders. A bit sneaky if you ask me!

Fingers crossed I get my money back and so does anyone else that raises a dispute...
  • edd2709
    edd2709 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 13 June 2012 at 12:36PM
    I have just used the 0800 1214752 number in misspiggy82 post and I cancelled in less than two minutes, thank you Miss Piggy :beer:
  • eviesdad
    eviesdad Posts: 418 Forumite
    Nightmare, 20mins on phone. They started taking £2.99 a month and have done for past 5 months without me noticing. Cancelled now but would only refund 1 payment, so I'm waiting for a call back.
  • I signed up to this again to get a free report, phoned to cancel today and was told their systems were down so either call back after 2:30pm or email them by going to https://www.equifax.co.uk/ask.
    In doing that you find you then need to register your details with that part of the website then selet from a drop down list the question category you want to use. Stragely there is no 'I want to cancel' options, so I just used one of te other options.
    I wonder how soon they'll cancel, I did put 'please don't call me just cancel it' but I'm sure I'll get a call.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OH has just had the same problem as others:
    Took out free trial in June 2011 and cancelled after getting 1 report. June and July 2012 received £2.99 charges. Wrote 4 emails to Equifax customer (dis) service and got no reply.
    He's jsut phoned and after 20 mins or so finally got a supervisor to understand what the problem was. He was told at the time he cancelled he agreed to take out the free years 'alerts' and the be charged £2.99 amonth for them. He did not agree to this at the time, and they have no proof so they are confirming the account is closed and refunding the 2 payments from his credit card.

Maybe Martin should warn others about this in his weekly email??
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport