Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Oct 17, 7:50 AM
    • 13,435Posts
    • 227,417Thanks
    greenbee
    "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:50 AM
    "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it." 3rd Oct 17 at 7:50 AM
    So after lurking on other people's diaries for the last few years it's time to start my own.

I'd almost paid off my mortgage 4 years ago when I decided to move to somewhere a lot bigger and a lot more expensive. It was also a project. So for the last few years there have been no overpayments as everything has gone into savings for the next bit of work on the house.

I remortgaged in August, reducing my payments by £200/month.

I'm now preparing for the final (I hope!) phase of the renovation work, so while avoiding getting up and ready for work this morning I thought I'd check the overpayment calculator. If I increase my payments to what they were previously this will knock over 8 years off my mortgage.

I'm not ready to start overpaying yet. I need to finish the essential work and build up some savings, but I hope that early next year I'll be in a position to start reducing my liabilities.

So I thought I'd start a diary now, while I'm motivated, to record my progress in getting to the point of overpaying...
Page 14
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Oct 19, 10:03 AM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Blood test done first thing (apparently results will be back in the next day or two, so I should be able to pick them up on Monday to take to the dentist) which also means I can start taking iron & vit D again without worrying about it impacting the tests.

Joiner came round and has measured up for the doors, suggested solutions to the window and flooring, and also has a roofer. So lots off the list there.

Packing almost done - warm running kit and treadmill stuff both included. I was planning on going for a short run this morning, but am cold and tired. I'm not sure whether it would help or make things worse.

I'm also not sure that I've packed appropriate clothes for the weather, but we'll have to see. Part of the problem is that airports tend to be hot, but then it's freezing either end, so coats etc are an issue. I'm not sure I need a thick coat yet, but might wear a down jacket under my coat. I have plenty of options, so it's just a question of trying to take the right stuff.

Cleaner has also been this morning (she's still here...) and for once turned up on time (in fact early!) so all the window frames have been wiped down with meths in the hope that it puts off the cluster flies that have been trying to hibernate in them for the last few weeks.
    Last edited by greenbee; 29-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Blood tests were normal, but dropped them off with the dentist when I went to the hygienist (must submit the receipts to my health insurance company in the hope that they'll pay at least some of it!).

Haven't heard from the joiner, so need to chase (checking that he could read my writing and got my email address right ).

Managed to run in Sweden last week, although it was a bit slippy on Thursday so I skipped Friday. Didn't manage it this week (although I did run at home on Monday and Tuesday. Physio says I need to be careful with hills so that's a good excuse... I also need to book some regular massage (not sure how that's going to happen).

Last week also involved a haircut (so all day given it involved the train into London and back) and new colour.

Lots up in the air at work too, with changes in the leadership team. Part of me is worried that there won't be a job for me - but on the other hand there seem to be a couple of people trying to entice me to join their teams. So who knows?

Mortgage OPs are still miniscule but I'm hoping to get to £1500 by the end of the year. Big numbers happen at the end of the tax year, when hopefully work on the house will be pretty much done and I can stick the rest in pension/ISAs and maybe a bit in the mortgage.

Blinds are due to be delivered tomorrow, so hopefully will be fitted (and other odds and ends done) w/c 18th. I must make a list.

Christmas is going to be here, so I'm wondering whether I can get a least one half of the kitchen in by then... realistically, probably not!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Nov 19, 8:27 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 16,278 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I think the tiniest OPs are worth it, its money you will never pay rent on again after all.

Worst case here is round it up the nearest ten, better than nothing.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    I haven't done anything about sending the dentist's bills in to my health insurer yet. But then again my office is a tip after having the new blind put up on Sunday - and I'm reluctant to sort it out as I need to take the wall plugs out from the curtain pole. The person who put the blind up filled the holes with the plugs in which is hugely irritating as they'll now be a PITA to get out as they're filled and sanded. Two minute job to get them out when you remove the screws... major upheaval once filled. I suspect I'll have to drill them out which means clearing most of the room (certainly removing all the IT kit).

I have, however, got that blind and 3 others up, the hearth is finally grouted, two of the three water butts are connected (just in time to need draining down for winter...). A friend has given me a wardrobe (so it's lucky the one I ordered didn't turn up) which someone failed to collect when she was selling her house. It's bigger than I was looking for, and means I need to rearrange the room, but solves the storage problem.

Another friend came today and took away a whole lot of stuff - a desk, coffee table, two small cupboards, wash stand and a chair. There are a couple more things here that she'll take at some point. The great thing with moving things around between friends and family is that we all know we can have them back if/when we need them at some point... She's also helped me work out what needs to go where in the kitchen, so next thing to do is to go and get a design done properly. Which means making some phonecalls to find out whether the kitchen company I like the look of a. fits kitchens down here and b. is in budget!

I've also had someone round to look at the blinds/curtains etc that need making/altering. She's happy to work with all my second-hand fabric and alter things rather than wanting to do everything from new which is ideal. So she's going to give me some quotes, then come back in January to finalise exactly what we're going to do. In the meantime I need to try to track down some fabric I hope I haven't (but suspect I have) got rid of.

Even if the kitchen isn't done this year, I should be able to get upstairs sorted out over Christmas (after all, my mum will be here), and the curtains and blinds sorted in January. I just need to keep chasing the builder (so have emailed him to 'check he has the correct email address'), tree surgeons and landscaper. The latter two should have been and gone by now but I find it hard to find the energy to keep chasing.

Dental surgery still isn't booked as I'm still waiting on my hospital appointment. As it should be for January I'm guessing I'll probably hear in January, by which time it'll be too late to schedule it.

Which reminds me... I must do my expenses for last week (there's a hotel bill on it!) and book some holiday!

Oil bill has arrived, and I have to pay for the work done on Sunday, but there should be a small OP going to the mortgage again this month, and a little bit left to go into savings once my salary goes into the bank.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 20th Nov 19, 1:08 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    If you can see the outline of the wall plugs screw in screws again then use pliers to pull them out with plugs attached. Easier than drilling and hopefully less mess.
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 23rd Nov 19, 11:14 AM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    If you can see the outline of the wall plugs screw in screws again then use pliers to pull them out with plugs attached. Easier than drilling and hopefully less mess.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    Thanks! I'd forgotten about this - it's a long time since I've had to fix idiotic mistakes. I'll wait until I'm feeling up to making mess in there...

My mum is staying today, so I'm hoping to get quite a bit done. So far I've been to my waxing appointment, paid for Thursday's taxi, submitted my expenses, made a physio appointment, submitted my dental bills to my health insurance (even if they only pay part of them it'll help), changed the batteries in one of the CCTV cameras and put two lots of batteries in to charge. Plus written a LONG list. So while my mum slowly wakes herself up I'm going to go and shove some stuff into the garage roof so it's a bit tidier and see whether the new-to-me leaf blower also hoovers...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 23rd Nov 19, 5:10 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Leaf blower also collects, but it's far too damp to use it, so we've been raking and cutting back. 4 bags are out for collection, 2 bags are too far gone and are in the bin, and another huge sack is waiting for the current ones to be emptied.

Sun loungers are all in the garage roof along with a wooden bed guard that I promised a friend I'd keep for when his daughter is a bit older. One camera is back up, all batteries are charges so I'll sort the other two out tomorrow before we go out. Log baskets are filled and in the garage to dry out a bit more, stove is lit and a bucket of bark and offcuts is being used as kindling. Another load of washing is in, but I haven't tackled the ironing yet... might leave that for tomorrow.

Made carrot soup for lunch (my mum had said she was giving up the low-FODMAP diet as it hadn't made any difference, and then decided that actually she's worse since stopping, so we made the soup without onions and as I only have non-dairy milk and yogurt that should help) and have one portion in the freezer. Salmon defrosted for tonight with spinach and courgettes (must check whether that's all OK for my mum), and there will be salmon left over which I can cook tomorrow and will do for Monday as well.

I'd like to get some more done indoors today - there are bookshelves to move upstairs and clothes to shift from one bedroom to another, but the raking has made me feel old and creaky!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 24th Nov 19, 9:56 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Bookshelves have been moved, and some clothes relocated to the new wardrobe.

Out for the day with family to London for an art exhibition which was nice but exhausting. Managed to give my brother a picture that's his, all my Rosemary Sutcliffe books to my nephew who is doing the Romans at school, plus a jar of mincemeat, some triple sec and the dregs of orange curacao plus the blueberries that have been in my freezer since I picked them...

Also managed to get some laundry done - but I have a HUGE amount of ironing to get done tomorrow before I pack (3 cities in 4 days this week, then away all next week as well, so next Saturday will be hectic!) so tomorrow will be busy.

I'm also seriously considering getting a range cooker - I've always preferred eye-level ovens and separate hobs, but as redofromstart reminded me, if I get a range cooker I can have it delivered now and build the kitchen round it. Which means I could be cooking on something sensible at Christmas.

So I need to find time tomorrow to do a rough kitchen design and make a decision as to whether to go ahead (this also means trying to track down the electrician to do the installation - I've emailed him, but need to call him tomorrow just to be sure). I can potentially save £100 due to Black Friday, but also need to make sure I'm getting the right thing as it's a major investment and probably more expensive than what I'd buy if I was getting a double oven and separate hob (although I really wanted two single ovens and a hob, which is much more similar in price).

It's hard work making all these decisions...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 24th Nov 19, 10:54 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Also need to check that the wiring can cope with both the cooker and induction ...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 25th Nov 19, 7:08 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Electrician has texted in response to my messages so hopefully I'll be able to speak to him in time to get a cooker ordered and delivered in time for Christmas.

Salary paid, so left-overs from last month have been moved - the odds & ends to the mortgage and the bulk to savings. I will have a fairly substantial credit card bill to pay this month as the bill for blinds and some of the new clothes I've bought will be arriving. But I'm up to date on my expenses (two lots as yet unpaid, and I'll be generating more this week).

I managed to locate a frozen turkey crown when I was shopping today, so I now have emergency Christmas dinner sorted. I also found fresh cranberries which are in the freezer with it. And bought 10 boxes of mince pies to take to the office - I just have to work out how to fit them into my suitcase (they're now in plastic boxes as they take up less space, but I'll be dragging them around a long way this week so they might not all fit).

Laundry is done. I just need to iron and pack...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Nov 19, 9:23 PM
    • 32,623 Posts
    • 192,915 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh my, yes, you work *so* hard on your house! I hope it will be the house of your dreams. And you know, the steps you're describing sound like you're pretty near the finish!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 25th Nov 19, 11:00 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    I don’t work that hard KC. I’m not doing much of it myself - I keep outsourcing!

Cooker is ordered and electrician booked, with a couple of other small jobs to do at the same time.
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Nov 19, 10:21 AM
    • 8,276 Posts
    • 84,045 Thanks
    greent
    If that's the case then you clearly work hard to pay for all the outsourcing!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £5207/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £626.25/£500
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 27th Nov 19, 9:13 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 16,278 Thanks
    redofromstart
    redofromstart[/B] reminded me, if I get a range cooker I can have it delivered now and build the kitchen round it. Which means I could be cooking on something sensible at Christmas.
    by greenbee;76531811

I'm also seriously considering getting a range cooker - I've always preferred eye-level ovens and separate hobs, but as [B
    Blame me Mind you, you positively forced me to make mincemeat

All joking aside I love my range cooker, and its done rather well on pence for use after 12 years.
    Last edited by redofromstart; 27-11-2019 at 9:15 PM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 30th Nov 19, 3:59 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Blame me Mind you, you positively forced me to make mincemeat

All joking aside I love my range cooker, and its done rather well on pence for use after 12 years.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Must be coming up to florentine season

I was away most of last week - taxi to Newbury 8.30am Tuesday, train to London Tuesday evening (stayed with a friend which was nice), meetings in London till just after 4pm and just made it to Heathrow for my evening flight to Stockholm and got to the hotel around 11.15. Out with a friend on Thursday night, left the office just after midday to get the flight that lands just after 5... rush hour traffic as usual, so got home around 7, called my mum (for the second time in a day as it's 3 years since my dad died - my brother and the kids were with her which was nice) and was tucked up in bed with my book by 7.30pm!

I'm off again tomorrow afternoon - but it's a full week in the office which means a week in the same hotel and not too much rushing about which is nice. So today is a quick turnaround on laundry and packing the big suitcase for a change (I'm taking lots of mince pies with me as well as clothes!).

I've managed to clean the WM filter and put it through a cleaning cycle with a cleaning tablet, empty all the bins and recycling, go to Tesco for tights (they don't seem to have the ones I want - high-waist shapers in sheer black, so I'll have to hunt elsewhere), do a couple of loads of laundry, strip my bed, get the robot to do some hoovering (where on earth does all the dirt come from?) and order a new tree stand and lights (my brother and nephew are going to get my tree for me while I'm at the physio next Saturday and last year the stand was only just big enough so needs upgrading!).

I should have been for a run but CBA. Lunch was pork scratchings, cheeselets and guacamole, so I think I have some work to do on my diet! However, next week is my last travel until the end of Jan, so hopefully I can get myself sorted out over the next few weeks.

I'm having trouble finding someone to take my freezers/dresser etc - the first charity I tried won't take them, and BHF only collect from here on Wednesday mornings (I have pilates and I'm not prepared to miss it because they're on such a rigid schedule - if they can't be more flexible than 9-12 on Wednesday then that's tough). So it looks as if I'll have to be nice to my brother and see whether I can get him to bring the trailer over one day and go home via the tip... in theory there will also be a cooker soon (and that definitely needs to go to the tip as it's not very good, but I don't want it taken by the people delivering in case there's a problem with the new one!).

My cleaner (who isn't the most reliable - she usually tells me she's not coming after I've already worked that out for myself) is going full time at her PT job sometime in the NY, so I'll have to start looking for someone else. Preferably someone who also irons. Although I might see how I get on without for a bit as it'll save some money.

The plan for the rest of today is to lie on the sofa reading trash in between loads of laundry. And once the robot has finished hoovering this room I'll light the wood burner.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Nov 19, 6:04 PM
    • 32,623 Posts
    • 192,915 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Must be coming up to florentine season
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I lurve florentines

... got home around 7, called my mum (for the second time in a day as it's 3 years since my dad died - my brother and the kids were with her which was nice) and was tucked up in bed with my book by 7.30pm!
    I hope you're okay too, greenbee.

I'm off again tomorrow afternoon - but it's a full week in the office which means a week in the same hotel and not too much rushing about which is nice. So today is a quick turnaround on laundry and packing the big suitcase for a change (I'm taking lots of mince pies with me as well as clothes!).
    Your work schedule is just astonishing. Astonishing. You're a heroine!

My cleaner (who isn't the most reliable - she usually tells me she's not coming after I've already worked that out for myself) is going full time at her PT job sometime in the NY, so I'll have to start looking for someone else. Preferably someone who also irons. Although I might see how I get on without for a bit as it'll save some money.
    You've got the robot, you can do it!

Have a lovely relaxing evening
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 30th Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 227,417 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks KC. I have to confess I actually have TWO robots... one upstairs and one downstairs. One I got in a deal last year (I think it was a year ago), and then it was on offer again for black friday so I decided it made sense to get one for upstairs. I wasn't using it as much as I could have done because it needed moving around. Given the amount of dirt the upstairs one has picked up, it seems I was right!

I've cooked the veg that needed eating together with the end of a bag of frozen prawns and some creme fraiche and had that for supper. Otherwise I'm just supervising the last couple of loads of laundry and then will make my bed and have an early night as I'll have to get my act together and pack in the morning!

Luckily I love my job most of the time And it was snowing when I left on Friday - I think it might still be cold at the beginning of the week but warming up towards the end of it. So I need to think about what I take.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

5,589Users online

Martin's Twitter