Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 13,938Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 38
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th Nov 19, 9:50 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 54,674 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Not sure about stockings, Sorry. I had the same problem last year. I’ve seen some nice ones this year and am going to splash out (£20 I think they are) as we’ll keep them for years to come.

Does anyone have any cheap, ethical hamper ideas? Not for the gifts inside, but the hamper itself? I want to make minimal work for myself this year, but also not waste money on things that aren’t going to be used again. I have a couple of hampers to make up, saw some little rattan box things in Wilko this morning, they were £2.50 each on 3 for 2 but looked a bit naff. Then again, can I really be bothered trawling the shops for something better? Probably not..
    Originally posted by Beshki
    How about wrapping some boxes in brown paper and decorating them yourself, either with embellishments you have around or even some holly / festive greens if you can find them? Bits that can easily be removed or left on (i.e. No glitter) for recycling.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• junior_j
    • By junior_j 18th Nov 19, 12:01 AM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 19,596 Thanks
    junior_j
    Thank you , GTQ xx added to the list. I wish I hadn't of given her two sloth presents earlier , however that'll replace one of them.

Long shift at work tomorrow, Tuesday staying at a friends , unfortunately for a funeral on Wednesday.

Have a great week everyone.

Xx
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • Skibunny40
    • By Skibunny40 18th Nov 19, 1:30 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Skibunny40
    How about wrapping some boxes in brown paper and decorating them yourself, either with embellishments you have around or even some holly / festive greens if you can find them? Bits that can easily be removed or left on (i.e. No glitter) for recycling.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I've done this! Banana boxes wrapped in either plain brown kraft paper or cheap Christmas wrapping paper are really sturdy. If you have a paper shredder, shred some of the wrapping paper to use as stuffing around the items (I keep previous years paper for this) and then cellophane (ebay/Amazon are good) round it to give it height with a bit of ribbon to attach it - looks SO much more expensive than it actually is.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 18th Nov 19, 1:59 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,918 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Not sure about stockings, Sorry. I had the same problem last year. I’ve seen some nice ones this year and am going to splash out (£20 I think they are) as we’ll keep them for years to come.

Does anyone have any cheap, ethical hamper ideas? Not for the gifts inside, but the hamper itself? I want to make minimal work for myself this year, but also not waste money on things that aren’t going to be used again. I have a couple of hampers to make up, saw some little rattan box things in Wilko this morning, they were £2.50 each on 3 for 2 but looked a bit naff. Then again, can I really be bothered trawling the shops for something better? Probably not..
    Last year for my parents hamper I got some hessian bags from sea salt with Christmas berries all over it. They do an offer online 2 for £7.00. They are strong and they can be reused throughout the year for shopping https://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/accessories/2-for-7-cute-jutes

I bought some handmade stockings on Etsy two for just under £20.00 for the both. Worth looking and it’s buying from a local/ independent business.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    Save for Christmas 2020 £1 a day challenge, 18 - Treasurequeen £ / £366
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 18th Nov 19, 2:03 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,918 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    I have nearly finished buying the gifts, just need to get something for my grandad. It’s his birthday at the beginning of January too.

In Iceland they are doing gluten free Christmas puddings for £1.00 and mince pies £2.00.

I’ve ordered my nut free advent calendar, stuffing, ordered my vegetarian roast and is now stored in freezer.

Hope everyone is ok. X
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    Save for Christmas 2020 £1 a day challenge, 18 - Treasurequeen £ / £366
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 18th Nov 19, 2:31 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 29,233 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    For anyone who has little ones in the family you can request a free book here

https://reindeerready.co.uk/storybook
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Nov 19, 6:20 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 17,936 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks STOKIE, have ordered one for the GDSs’ Christmas Eve box.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 18th Nov 19, 7:04 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 54,674 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Thanks Stokie have ordered one for my DN
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 18th Nov 19, 9:14 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 54,674 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I need some help from you lovely people. I would like to give my DN * 2 gifts in bags because the paper is mixed and it means I just need to tag the bag with their gifts in rather than tagging each gift.

I am looking for large bags with twisted handles, as cheaply as possible. Something like these. Any suggestions on where I can pick them up cheaply apart from eBay? My plan this year was not to spend more on tags / paper / bags and use what I have so I'm a bit reluctant to buy packs of 5-10 when I need 3.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brown-Twist-Handle-Paper-Party-and-Gift-Carrier-Bag-Bags-With-Rope-Handles/392333104751?var=661334816312
    JAN NSD 11/16

• StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 18th Nov 19, 10:39 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 29,233 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Maybe worth trying The Works or The Range Kerri?
    • murie
    • By murie 19th Nov 19, 6:11 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 10,353 Thanks
    murie
    Home Bargains do those kind of bags, they market them as sandwich bags. Not sure how much they are though.
    lovin' this site!
    • Redredrobin
    • By Redredrobin 19th Nov 19, 6:26 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Redredrobin
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brown-Twist-Handle-Paper-Party-and-Gift-Carrier-Bag-Bags-With-Rope-Handles/392333104751?var=661334816312[/URL]
    by kerri gt;

[URL

Might work out better to buy off Ebay and use the others for next years birthdays of Christmas .

I try to have something to give Dd in the first minute of the new year this year ive booked tickets for her and hubby to go see Cirque Du Soleil in March .

Last day at work Sunday until December 7th yay .

Getting our cases down from the loft tomorrow now just got to remember where ive put everything !
    Finally Debt free June 2019

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Nov 19, 1:06 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 54,674 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Thanks folks, I found these on The Works site, going to see if they have any in our local store

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/fashion-bags/christmas-reusable-shopping-bag---assorted/5052089250307

Although they're not what I originally planned, I thought they might actually be more useful, DN x 2 mum / dad can always reuse them for shopping after xmas and they might be handy for the kids gathering xmas gifts up together to carry up to their rooms and the like.

Redredrobin amazing gift for Cirque, I looked at going a few years ago but we were late to the party and tickets were eye wateringly priced for not very good seats.

I just read your post that you were getting your tree down from the loft...thought 'that's a bit keen'
    JAN NSD 11/16

• alja
    • By alja 19th Nov 19, 5:38 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    alja

Has anyone seen any really nice but not too expensive xmas stockings? I don't really want to be paying £10+ each if possible but the cheaper ones I've seen look really cheap this year
    Originally posted by mandco
    H0mebase have some nice looking ones for £8, one in white and one in red too in a knitted style with pom poms. Haven't seen them in person, but thought they looked nice online when I saw them the other day
    Save £6k in 2019 - £6400/£6k #83
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Nov 19, 11:00 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 54,674 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I picked up the bags in The Works, they're quite big and roomy, although did feel a little thin. Nice designs though, one was red with a santa belt round it.
    Then I saw similar but slightly smaller and also £1 in Poundstretcher, but they looked more robust ... not quite as fun designs, one had daschunds on, and there were some nutcracker characters on another. Also a sloth one saying 'merry skothmas' so I ended up getting 3 of those too to see what's better. The nutcracker one also turned out to be 69p. So now I need to choose and take the ones I don't want want...or keep for shopping.

Also couldn't find sprout tags to go with the sprout paper I have ....so the boys might just get mis matched tags.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 20th Nov 19, 8:54 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Thanks Stokie - Ordered one for my 3 boys

I was in Lidl on Monday and picked up a Chocolate Orange (99p!!!) and a bag of Christmas SE Wine Gums. My kids do love wine gums! lol

Looking at getting personalised mugs for relatives.....I can get 20% cashback on Funky Pigeon but don't know whether they're any good?
    DFBX19 #148 - 28/11/2019 - £3,256/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,247
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 21st Nov 19, 12:08 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Beshki
    Kerri Gt, there are quite a few sprout tags if you google. Cheapest seem to be Sainsbury’s for 8 for £1. X
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 21st Nov 19, 12:10 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Beshki
    Thanks for all the great suggestions re a hamper. Whilst searching online for options, I actually came across a filled one by Thornton’s, with all of the things I was going to use in it, for £25! I would easily spend that on just a few of the items and the basket, so this was a fantastic find. And zero hassle, Yeay!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 21st Nov 19, 12:31 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 54,674 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Kerri Gt, there are quite a few sprout tags if you google. Cheapest seem to be Sainsbury’s for 8 for £1. X
    If you mean these, they're showing as not available.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-tags-8pk---sprout?storeId=10151&langId=44&krypto=wGWd1R1o64Eg RpwQs8f6Q2gYDbLUmYV0zDS2%2Fhe3vgzLEp4rxhOIjTMO1ur3 j8ZbTTtNRtJkKEzWI9SicfwJT7bIVW9bVl35WkwpgUNoSjBioi GbsSZGa1pCD%2BSVeJJl&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries% 2Fsainsburys-tags-8pk---sprout

They are the ones that would actually go with the paper I have as I got in from Sains a few years ago in the sales. Had a look in store the other day but they don't have them stocked. I assume it's just an old link, but thank you.

Paperchase have packs of 3 with Googly eyes, but I do somewhat at £2 for 3 tags.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 21st Nov 19, 1:41 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 12,864 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, I've been MIA recently as Squeak tripped and cut his head open a couple of weeks ago! It's been extremely stressful as two year olds and head injuries don't mix very well, we've already been back to have it re-glued for a second time, so i've been having to watch him constantly. My dad has also been in hospital so it's all been going on. Everything has been on hold for a while but i'm just starting to get back on track with things now. It's my dad's 70th in two weeks and we're going over to visit, so I have to get everything we need for Christmas ready to take up there then as we won't have room in the car for everything at Christmas time so I've got to get on with some wrapping! Anyway just popping in to say hi, sorry I haven't been able to catch up so I hope everyone is ok and I hope to get back on here a bit more now as I love all the Christmas chat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,325Posts Today

6,904Users online

Martin's Twitter