Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amieloustew
    • By amieloustew 21st Oct 19, 11:30 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    amieloustew
    House Viewing -AWKWARD!!
    • 21st Oct 19, 11:30 AM
    House Viewing -AWKWARD!! 21st Oct 19 at 11:30 AM
    Myself and my partner are first time buyers and have been looking for properties for the past couple of months. Budget £100K and hoping to put down between a 8-10% deposit.

We had a viewing at a property last week and we really like it - great area, property needs next to no work (just personal decor changes), sellers move into new build property fairly soon.

However, the viewing was really awkward. I was expecting to meet with an estate agent or a representative of the estate agent however it was the property owners showing us around and it felt really awkward. It felt like they were trying too hard and I felt I couldn't have a proper nosey around as they were in the house.

My question is, can I arrange a second viewing and request that they aren't present? I assume they have chosen to deal with viewing themselves and oped not to involve a representative. Is this rude?

Any advise is much appreciated.

Amie
Page 3
    • newsgroup_monkey
    • By newsgroup_monkey 21st Oct 19, 2:34 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    newsgroup_monkey
    With all due respect, surely there's not much you missed on a first viewing on a house worth £100k?

What are you planning to do, look through their drawers?
    Originally posted by MaxiRobriguez
    That's quite presumptuous and rude.
    It's the usual. When people say "With Respect", then you know full well whatever they are about to say has no respect. In the same way "Without meaning to be rude" you know they will be.

There are currently 394 3+ bed houses for sale within 40 miles of Glasgow (for instance).
    There are 2,353 within 40 miles of Newcastle.

Not everyone lives in the overpriced South of England.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 21st Oct 19, 2:49 PM
    • 11,106 Posts
    • 131,292 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I just ask 'is it ok to wander around on my own' never yet has anyone said no.

But equally I have not looked in wardrobes etc, if I wanted to and the house was occupied, I would ask the owner, 'is it ok if you open the wardrobes for me so I can see the layout / how deep they are' and leave it at that.
    Sun, Sea

• Comms69
    • By Comms69 21st Oct 19, 2:59 PM
    • 10,365 Posts
    • 12,536 Thanks
    Comms69
    That's quite presumptuous and rude.
    It's the usual. When people say "With Respect", then you know full well whatever they are about to say has no respect. In the same way "Without meaning to be rude" you know they will be.

There are currently 394 3+ bed houses for sale within 40 miles of Glasgow (for instance).
    There are 2,353 within 40 miles of Newcastle.

Not everyone lives in the overpriced South of England.
    Originally posted by newsgroup_monkey
    I understand the joke, but... Where Beds/Bucks/Herts meet!

On a different note, I would consider a £100k house to be of a lower standard, even up north. Certainly for a 3 bed, I would expect the area to be less than desireable.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 21st Oct 19, 3:26 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    ThePants999
    With all due respect, surely there's not much you missed on a first viewing on a house worth £100k?
    What an odd thing to say. You can decrease the value of a house by 90% just by changing its location - how did there suddenly become less to see in a viewing?
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 21st Oct 19, 7:33 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    No its not 'standard'. I have only ever shown around a perspective buyer if the EA was not available. It was just part of their service.
    Originally posted by Niv
    When we were housebuyng in west London we had both in equal measure
    some wanted to show us themselves and some disappeared and left the agent to it.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 21st Oct 19, 7:45 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I would feel more awkward as the vendor if I was in the house but the agent was showing people round!!

I've always done the viewings myself - I know the house better, I know the best routes (eg better to go into the garden via the conservatory then have to walk past the bins at the back door...) and so on.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 21st Oct 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Funny story, viewing one property end of last year, male owner showing me around, swings open a wardrobe door to show a space where I assume his misses, had tried to hide her sex toys
    House owner as of 27.3.2019
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Oct 19, 9:48 PM
    • 26,343 Posts
    • 26,211 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Funny story, viewing one property end of last year, male owner showing me around, swings open a wardrobe door to show a space where I assume his misses, had tried to hide her sex toys
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    Maybe it was deliberate, and an invitation...?
    • ethank
    • By ethank 21st Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    ethank
    It is awkward. I've done a number of viewings without an estate agent. I always try to put people at ease and say this is really awkward, if I were you I would want to look in cupboards and under the stairs - I've got a few things to do in the garden, why don't you let me know when you are done. People appreciated that.

If the vendor does not offer, don't be frightened to say, do you mind if I walk round again on my own.
    • amieloustew
    • By amieloustew 22nd Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    amieloustew
    On a different note, I would consider a £100k house to be of a lower standard, even up north. Certainly for a 3 bed, I would expect the area to be less than desireable.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    It is a 13 year old 2 bed flat in Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/52714437
    Last edited by amieloustew; 23-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    • RelievedSheff
    • By RelievedSheff 22nd Oct 19, 12:50 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    RelievedSheff
    I understand the joke, but... Where Beds/Bucks/Herts meet!

Originally posted by Comms69
    You really do come across as a bit of a knob!

There are plenty of very nice high quality houses to be had in the UK for £100k and not all of them will be in "less than desirable" areas.

Outside of the stupidly over priced southern regions housing is very affordable and of no lower quality.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 22nd Oct 19, 3:29 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    shortcrust

What are you planning to do, look through their drawers?
    You can miss pretty much everything on a viewing if all your attention is taken up by navigating a weird social situation. We’re social creatures and it’s hard to divert your focus away from people.

I don’t know why people get it so wrong because it seems so obvious to me. Show people around quickly then wait somewhere out of the way and let them have a look by themselves.

ETA: It’s daft (and a bit snobby?) to suggest there’s less to notice in 100k house compared to a 300k house.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 22-10-2019 at 3:32 PM.
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 22nd Oct 19, 3:59 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Caraway90
    I'm in East Anglia, we viewed 5 houses and 4 we were shown around by the owners. The fifth was the estate agent as the owner worked away. It was always a little awkward, but the norm seemed to be they showed us around and then let us wander around again alone.
    I would prefer the owners showing me around as its their house so they know everything about it!
    FTB 2017
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 22nd Oct 19, 9:53 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Maybe it was deliberate, and an invitation...?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I'm a rough looking chap, he was out of my league
    House owner as of 27.3.2019
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 22nd Oct 19, 11:33 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    capital0ne
    When i sold my house I generally made myself scares......
    Originally posted by Niv
    Haloween season
    • ChasingButterflies
    • By ChasingButterflies 23rd Oct 19, 2:28 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 7,871 Thanks
    ChasingButterflies
    It is a 13 year old 2 bed flat in Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland. I can't post link.
    Originally posted by amieloustew
    The plus side of the owners conducting viewing is you can ask if there is a Factor, who the Factor is, annual charge etc an estate agent is unlikely to immediately know the answers to these questions.

Taking someone else along to view can be useful in terms of they may well spot something (positive or negative!) that you didnít on your first viewing.

It isnít unusual up here for owners to conduct viewings, it is in their interest to make you as welcome as possible so donít feel awkward about asking to see x,y,z if they havenít shown you.

All the best.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Oct 19, 7:51 AM
    • 29,936 Posts
    • 103,219 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You can miss pretty much everything on a viewing if all your attention is taken up by navigating a weird social situation. We’re social creatures and it’s hard to divert your focus away from people.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I agree. That's why, all other things being equal, I'd not be offering on a property until after a third viewing, when I'd bring along two family members with long building experience and give it a real going-over....but we still wouldn't look in those wardrobes.

First viewing: get a feel for it and let the owner talk. They often say too much!

Second viewing: focus on the things that you missed or need clarification. Answer the question,"Could we see ourselves living here?"

Third viewing: take at least one person who really knows about building, if you have one, or send in the surveyor, hopefully targeted to examine specific things.

The social situation isn't necessarily tricky, but it can be, so we have a pact on first viewings, never to give any visual indication to each other of what we're really thinking. It isn't helpful, especially if the situation begins to resemble certain comedy sketches!
    The BBC recently called Little Mix a girl band. To avoid confusion, this is a real girl band:
    youtube.com/watch?v=pj5ue3M-v6o

• davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 23rd Oct 19, 8:26 AM
    • 13,791 Posts
    • 15,942 Thanks
    davidmcn
    The plus side of the owners conducting viewing is you can ask if there is a Factor, who the Factor is, annual charge etc an estate agent is unlikely to immediately know the answers to these questions.
    Originally posted by ChasingButterflies
    That information should (mostly) be in the owner's questionnaire part of the Home Report, which you can read through at your leisure before deciding even to book a viewing.

I agree though that agents are unlikely to give you useful answers to any questions about the property. I find that accompanied viewings are often conducted by people who know absolutely nothing about the property and just tell you to ask the office if you have any queries.
    Last edited by davidmcn; 23-10-2019 at 8:29 AM.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 23rd Oct 19, 9:05 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 11,069 Thanks
    warby68
    For OP, bear in mind that it is largely the vendor's choice how viewings are carried out rather than yours.

For that reason, I'd probably not risk causing offence by asking via the agent for them to be gone (especially after you've actually met them !!) but learn to toughen up a little and manage the viewing and vendors better. There is nothing wrong with asking for some time alone - if you go back again just say you spent a little too long chatting than concentrating on the property. The vendors might be learning too. If you're really struggling take a chatty family member and get them to engage the vendor with questions while you wander alone, a bit of divide and conquer.
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 23rd Oct 19, 10:21 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    I used to hate viewing houses where the vendors were around. Once we viewed a house where one of the vendors, an elderly man, was in bed, terminally ill. It was very, very uncomfortable.

The other thing I hated was the look of expectation on the vendors' faces once you'd viewed the house. That was particularly difficult if the house was just awful and there was no way on earth that a offer could be contemplated.

But, on the flip side, we sold our last home ourselves so had to do the viewings. But we'd show people around and then let them wander about by themselves. Second viewings we just let them get on with it. I remember one couple who had a second viewing, complete with both sets of parents and a camera. Not a problem, agreed that they could take photos as long as my children were not in any. All was fine until they started opening cupboards (without asking, mind) and we heard a very large crash as a load of things fell out....exit very red faced prospective buyers!

We thought that was the last we'd hear from them but they got over their embarrassment enough to make an offer. I think that they made three offers in the end but couldn't complete with someone else so we went with the highest offer.

With hindsight, that may have been a mistake as the people we sold to were the most awful people ever. The young couple may have been easier to deal with!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,656Posts Today

9,424Users online

Martin's Twitter