Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wisk
    • By Wisk 5th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Wisk
    Paypal have blocked my husband and I and won't tell us why!?
    • 5th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    Paypal have blocked my husband and I and won't tell us why!? 5th Oct 19 at 11:45 AM
    Hi

I received an email from Paypal which said my account had been permanently limited. I contacted them by email and received no answer. I then called them and they said that my account had been limited due to 'links with someone with the same surname'. I asked, do you mean my husband - our accounts aren't linked - I don't understand why you have done this. Paypal said - we're not a bank and if we think there is a risk to the account due to similar surnames we are within their right to stop the account! I questioned this - I have the same surname as my husband's cousin but we are not related or linked. My sister has the same surname as my mum but there is no financial link - this makes absolutely no sense to me. My husband then received a similar email from Paypal and then had a similarly frustrating phone call. They refused to tell him why his account had been closed (permanently apparently) but said it was due to links with another rogue account.
    Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone suggest what's going on? What course of action can I take to resolve this? It's hugely frustrating and worrying.

Thanks
Page 1
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 5th Oct 19, 6:10 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:10 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:10 PM
    They have a Facebook Community Forum, might have some suggestions. Or maybe their own community help centre, someone may have been in your position.
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/home
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 5th Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 11,110 Posts
    • 131,306 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    Are you sure it is not a scam?
    Sun, Sea

• I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 5th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 6,360 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    I would be wary of any emails from Paypal . If I receive one, I never reply to it or click on any links connected to it, I log into my account separately to see if there is an issue.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 5th Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    • 17,785 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 6:42 PM
    Have you asked your husbands cousin if he's had a problem
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 5th Oct 19, 7:07 PM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 11,853 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 5th Oct 19, 7:07 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 7:07 PM
    Spam email.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    • 35,370 Posts
    • 22,322 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    I would be wary of any emails from Paypal . If I receive one, I never reply to it or click on any links connected to it, I log into my account separately to see if there is an issue.
    Originally posted by I Love comps

That's not what the OP has done though, the OP has called PP and asked them about the issue.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    • 11,374 Posts
    • 13,010 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 5th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    Calling Paypal is okay providing that they found the phone number on the Paypal website (after going to it by typing the address in themselves and not clicking on an e-mail link) and didn't use a phone number that was supplied on the e-mail.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 5th Oct 19, 8:27 PM
    • 17,785 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 5th Oct 19, 8:27 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 8:27 PM
    Will the op return to the thread..?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Oct 19, 8:44 PM
    • 11,374 Posts
    • 13,010 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Will the op return to the thread..?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Looking at the other two threads that the OP has started in the past, I would say that the odds of them returning to this one are fairly poor.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 5th Oct 19, 8:47 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    I don't allow my c/c details to be saved on Paypal & I check often that no-one has set themselves up as an 'authorised merchant'.

A few years back that is what had happened & 200 USD had been taken by 'Facebook Ireland' for advertising! I had to raise a dispute & Paypal did sort it out with no loss to me pretty quickly, but I found 16 pages on the community forum of others in the same predicament, from many different countries, all monies taken in any currency but their own, & for some, numerous times.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Wisk
    • By Wisk 8th Oct 19, 10:02 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Wisk
    I did return to the thread! As one of you has noted - it's been a few years since I had to ask a forum question but I've always thought the MSE community was a smart one.
    I spoke to PayPal, as did my husband, via their genuine contact number so the message isn't spam (I am aware that dodgy links are sent on email so was wary of accepting the contents on face value).
    I might try the Facebook link. I was hoping for some more practical advice but I'm not going to let it drop.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 8th Oct 19, 11:52 AM
    • 6,416 Posts
    • 11,172 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Have either you or your husband had any sort of activity on your account recently that could have upset PayPal? Disputes, refunds, anything?

I think you'll struggle to get your account reinstated. PayPal have a reputation for doing things like this and they're quite stubborn in their decisions. They're a private company, they have no obligation to do business with you. Ultimately if they don't want you as a customer there's little you can do about it.
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 10th Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    hpuse
    Just note a few points, which might help in future.

As far a paypal is concerned:
    • Each individual accounts and account holders (personals) are unique, stand-alone entities.
    • They have various fraud monitoring policies in place for payment/transcations, which they will not discuss/disclose to customers.
    • If a person uses the same creditcard numbers (or linked credit card accounts) in multiple Paypal accounts, their internal monitoring mechanisms may flag this up as potential fraud (I suspect this is what may have happened in your husbands case, (resulting in suspension) and hence they will refuse to discuss this any further with you)
    The option for you/your husband is to close both your paypal accounts & wait for 6 months and open another with a different payment card.

Hope this helps!

I did return to the thread! As one of you has noted - it's been a few years since I had to ask a forum question but I've always thought the MSE community was a smart one.
    I spoke to PayPal, as did my husband, via their genuine contact number so the message isn't spam (I am aware that dodgy links are sent on email so was wary of accepting the contents on face value).
    I might try the Facebook link. I was hoping for some more practical advice but I'm not going to let it drop.
    Originally posted by Wisk
    Last edited by hpuse; 10-10-2019 at 1:27 PM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    • 17,785 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    hollydays
    Just note a few points, which might help in future.

As far a paypal is concerned:
    • Each individual accounts and account holders (personals) are unique, stand-alone entities.
    • They have various fraud monitoring policies in place for payment/transcations, which they will not discuss/disclose to customers.
    • If a person uses the same creditcard numbers (or linked credit card accounts) in multiple Paypal accounts, their internal monitoring mechanisms may flag this up as potential fraud (I suspect this is what may have happened in your husbands case, (resulting in suspension) and hence they will refuse to discuss this any further with you)
    The option for you/your husband is to close both your paypal accounts & wait for 6 months and open another with a different payment card.

Hope this helps!
    Originally posted by hpuse
    But what about the addresses?
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 11th Oct 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    Addresses arent normally a problem, there are 2 at my house and even more when I lived with my parents, at least 3.

However, if one of the accounts at that address is doing some dodgy dealings (or Paypal thinks so) and Paypal gets rid of them, then yes they can also tie in those with the same address, as lets be honest, if I got my paypal blocked chances are Id ask to use my brothers/partners account and send them the money etc. Its a risk Paypal wont take.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 11th Oct 19, 12:09 PM
    • 17,785 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    hollydays
    Addresses arent normally a problem, there are 2 at my house and even more when I lived with my parents, at least 3.

However, if one of the accounts at that address is doing some dodgy dealings (or Paypal thinks so) and Paypal gets rid of them, then yes they can also tie in those with the same address, as lets be honest, if I got my paypal blocked chances are Id ask to use my brothers/partners account and send them the money etc. Its a risk Paypal wont take.
    Originally posted by KatrinaWaves
    Yes, that's the point I was hinting at, as that's the ops problem..
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 11th Oct 19, 12:18 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    Yes, that's the point I was hinting at, as that's the ops problem..
    Ah, major whoosh on my part, sorry.
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 14th Oct 19, 11:00 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    hpuse

I think you meant the billing address of the payment card(s) linked to paypal?. Unless there is a suspicious/dubious series of paypal transaction activity of various card with different 'names' (and I thought that was OP's original problem) linked to the address, paypal shouldn't bother blocking the other persons account?

For e.g lot of students sharing the same address (or within rooms/flats) of the same door number operates multiple paypal accounts.
    • SelmestonFTB
    • By SelmestonFTB 15th Oct 19, 9:52 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    SelmestonFTB
    Paypal banned me at 24 years old for being underage. They decided that because I'd opened the account almost a decade prior when I shouldn't have, that banning me at 24 made sense. Delayed punishment at it's finest...
    I just opened a new account with a different email, not sure if that is an option because of the surname thing.
    Mortgage starting June 19: 140,500.00
    Mortgage currently: 138,000.00
    Overpayments TD: 1,050.49
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,660Posts Today

7,780Users online

Martin's Twitter