Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 8th Jul 19, 12:16 PM
    • 287Posts
    • 79Thanks
    MSE Luke
    How to URGENTLY reclaim PPI for a deceased relative
    • 8th Jul 19, 12:16 PM
    How to URGENTLY reclaim PPI for a deceased relative 8th Jul 19 at 12:16 PM
    See Martin's blog:

'How to URGENTLY reclaim PPI for a deceased relative'

And let us know your thoughts.
Page 1
    • Magicmerlin72
    • By Magicmerlin72 9th Jul 19, 10:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Magicmerlin72
    • 9th Jul 19, 10:01 AM
    Claiming bank charges for deceased
    • 9th Jul 19, 10:01 AM
    Hi There,

I'm reading alot about claiming back PPI for a deceased relative, but I've been going through my deceased fathers bank statements, and have found, that while he was alive, the Halifax were charging him 30 everytime he went into an unauthorised overdraft. One time, he did this over the course of a week, and the bank kept letting him withdraw cash, or use his debit card despite not having this authorised overdraft. My father was suspected of having alcohol induced dementia, and was due to have a mental health assessment a few weeks after his death. My question is, am I able to try and claim these charges back from the Halifax as his next of kin and executor? Any advice would be great - many thanks.
    • Headbear
    • By Headbear 10th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Headbear
    • 10th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    PPI for deceased father, I don't know the bank or company
    • 10th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    Hi
    Interested to read about claiming PPI for deceased relative. I know my father had finance for a car and those extended warranty policies. Are these the sort of thing that PPI may have been on? How do I claim?
    Is there a site where I can just put his surname / details in and it tells me if he had any PPI?
    any advice most welcome

We claimed PPI for my partner a while back, can't remember how, he got a couple of hundred back which was unexpected but very appreciated!
    • rosieposie4
    • By rosieposie4 10th Jul 19, 9:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rosieposie4
    • 10th Jul 19, 9:55 AM
    My husband died in 2002 (age 36) but I've no details of his finances before we married?
    • 10th Jul 19, 9:55 AM
    I know we didn't have PPI as a couple but it's possible he might have had it when he was single and before we had joint account and mortgage etc? I have no details whatsoever though...

Had considered asking a claims company but then dismissed as presumed as such a long time ago now it's unlikely that anyone would have any records? Am I right in thinking it's just one of those things that I should forget about? (Bit like the fact that he paid NI for 18 years but for some age related reason/rule I wasn't entitled to any widow's state pension which I think is unfair - although thankfully he did have a modest private one).
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 19, 10:09 AM
    • 24,365 Posts
    • 27,161 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Jul 19, 10:09 AM
    • 10th Jul 19, 10:09 AM
    Never use a claims company. All they do is sell the world's most expensive stamps, and they're not even rare ones.

If you know who the policy was with and you have reason to believe it was mis sold, then put in a complaint.

If you have neither, then there's no further action you need to take.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jul 19, 3:40 PM
    • 35,359 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Jul 19, 3:40 PM
    • 14th Jul 19, 3:40 PM
    Hi
    Interested to read about claiming PPI for deceased relative. I know my father had finance for a car and those extended warranty policies. Are these the sort of thing that PPI may have been on? How do I claim?
    Is there a site where I can just put his surname / details in and it tells me if he had any PPI?
    any advice most welcome

We claimed PPI for my partner a while back, can't remember how, he got a couple of hundred back which was unexpected but very appreciated!
    Originally posted by Headbear

Could be wrong but I don't think warranty policies are something you can claim back (its not something you even claim back when alive) but there's no harm in sending a letter saying your father had an extended warranty policy and your wanting to claim it back.
    • wackojackouk
    • By wackojackouk 16th Jul 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    wackojackouk
    • 16th Jul 19, 12:19 PM
    • 16th Jul 19, 12:19 PM
    Afternoon folks.

I've done the PPI stuff for myself and not had any success but tbh never took loans etc and was always careful about taking out the insurance etc.

However, my mother passed away over two years ago so interested in checking her stuff as anything owed can be passed on to my step-father. I am the Executor of the estate and have the relevant paper work but not sure how to proceed.

On Martin's article here; it states "To find out what lender(s) they were with you can get their credit file from one of the credit reference agencies. The simplest way is to ask for the free statutory report from Experian, Equifax or TransUnion with proof that you are the executor/administrator. They will also usually want two original documents to confirm your residency at the address you want them to send the report to."

Stupid question, but how do I ask them? (it just links to their main page). I'm sceptical about setting up an account in her name as she's no longer with us but it would show me pretty quickly if she had anything and then I could contact them

Also, would it be better to use the MSE Credit Report rather than them directly, if the above was an option?

• wicca1688
    • By wicca1688 16th Jul 19, 2:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wicca1688
    • 16th Jul 19, 2:30 PM
    PPI for deceased mother
    • 16th Jul 19, 2:30 PM
    Hi all

I'm after some advice about trying to find PPI for my mother who passed away October 2015.

I know when my father left, he left her with numerous loans to pay off which she did but have since thrown the paperwork away and unsure if any of them had PPI. This would have been back in 1995 ish

I've asked Santander for assistance (then Abbey national) as I know she was with them for along time in the hope something comes back from their records but does anyone have any advice on trying to get old bank statements or credit reports for that far back as I'm aware the usual 6 year rule applies for experia etc and I dont have a clue where to start.

Thanks Jade
    Last edited by wicca1688; 16-07-2019 at 3:00 PM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jul 19, 2:44 PM
    • 24,365 Posts
    • 27,161 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Jul 19, 2:44 PM
    • 16th Jul 19, 2:44 PM
    does anyone have any advice on trying to get old bank statements or credit reports for that far back as I'm aware the usual 6 year rule applies for expedia etc and I dont have a clue where to start.
    Originally posted by wicca1688
    Experian, Equifax and Transunion hold the last 6 years of your credit history. Expedia only hold details of any holidays you've booked with them.

If the accounts aren't in there, then you'll only find them in your own filing or memory.

However, given you're talking about accounts from a quarter of a century ago, it's highly unlikely there will be any records remaining, due to data protection.
    • randm
    • By randm 18th Jul 19, 2:08 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    randm
    if information is only kept for six yrs, then what on earth do you do if you have no paperwork?? mum dead over ten yrs, all paperwork would have been thrown by now. ????
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Jul 19, 10:59 PM
    • 24,365 Posts
    • 27,161 Thanks
    zx81
    If you don't have any record of who you had PPI with, then short of writing to every lender, there's nothing more you can do.
    • problemcashback
    • By problemcashback 29th Jul 19, 12:49 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    problemcashback
    if information is only kept for six yrs, then what on earth do you do if you have no paperwork?? mum dead over ten yrs, all paperwork would have been thrown by now. ????
    Originally posted by randm

the executor should know which accounts she had and thats a good place to start, also if you know of any other banks she used send them a letter, then it would be a case of trying to hit as many of the others you can. Pitty resolver doesnt allow you to simply copy or I may have missed that you can.
    • DBdfly02
    • By DBdfly02 4th Aug 19, 12:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DBdfly02
    How to complete form?
    Hi all, Looking to claim as executor for my deceased daughter, how do I complete the Resolver form - with my name at the top or hers e.g. NAME - (deceased)?
    Or both names in that field?
    Last edited by DBdfly02; 04-08-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: error
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 4th Aug 19, 4:04 PM
    • 36,725 Posts
    • 47,400 Thanks
    McKneff
    Please remember that you have to have some sort of proof that ppi was miss sold.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • blackgothic
    • By blackgothic 4th Aug 19, 4:14 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    blackgothic
    Could someone give me advice on how to fill in the resolver PPI form as our mortgage was taken out in both our names but now my husband has been deceased since 2012 and he was the one covered through PPI insurance as the payments came out of his bank account do i fill the resolver form in my name or his thanks.
    A little grunt a little squeeze and out it comes like lemon cheese
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Aug 19, 11:11 AM
    • 24,365 Posts
    • 27,161 Thanks
    zx81
    Don't use Resolver. Send your complaint direct.

It's too close to the deadline to hope that a third party will forward on your complaint in time.

Your complaint needs to be in his name, but you need to prove your right to make the complaint.
    • RedheadsRule
    • By RedheadsRule 10th Aug 19, 8:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RedheadsRule
    My Dad passed away in July 2017 leaving everything to my Mum. Sadly, she also passed away in June this year (2019). Everything then passes to myself.
    However, everything is going through Probate at this moment in time, but I recently learned about Martin Lewis saying that we can now claim for any possible PPI refund for a deceased relative(s).

As Probate is STILL going through, I am wondering if a PPI enquiry to the relevant banks etc is made NOW, will it still be looked into after the 29th August deadline if the Grant of Probate hasn’t been completed by then?

From what I have read, it would appear that proof of Grant of Probate has to be sent to the relevant banks etc, which, of course, I don’t have at this moment in time. I’m hoping that it will be through within the next few weeks, although there’s no guarantee of that.

Or, should I ask my solicitor who is dealing with Probate to look into it on my behalf – although I suspect that should I do this, there would be yet another Solicitor’s fee.
    • seville_2003
    • By seville_2003 20th Aug 19, 11:36 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    seville_2003
    Hello, just looking for some advice regarding reclaiming PPI for my Dad who passed last month.

Firstly I know of mortgages and car finance loans and possibly a bank loan he had and I'm pretty sure of each bank/lender. For a couple it would have been between 2000 and 2008. There may have been others pre this period.

For things dating back over 10 years if I know where they were from is there much of a chance of being successful?
    If my Dad defaulted on any of the loans would you not be able to claim?

Secondly I haven't read to much into PPI but I'm trying to work out how likely it is my Dad may have taken it. Its worth putting in a claim anyway but how was it sold, I read on Martins page that for many it was just added in automatically. My dad isn't the type of guy who would take such a thing if it was offered to him so I have my doubts.

And finally what is the best way to apply. I know the deadline is next week I was going to use the resolver template but someone sad above your best not using that???

any advice would be great thankyou
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 21st Aug 19, 12:04 AM
    • 469 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    Hello, just looking for some advice regarding reclaiming PPI for my Dad who passed last month.

Firstly I know of mortgages and car finance loans and possibly a bank loan he had and I'm pretty sure of each bank/lender. For a couple it would have been between 2000 and 2008. There may have been others pre this period.

For things dating back over 10 years if I know where they were from is there much of a chance of being successful?
    If my Dad defaulted on any of the loans would you not be able to claim?

Secondly I haven't read to much into PPI but I'm trying to work out how likely it is my Dad may have taken it. Its worth putting in a claim anyway but how was it sold, I read on Martins page that for many it was just added in automatically. My dad isn't the type of guy who would take such a thing if it was offered to him so I have my doubts.

And finally what is the best way to apply. I know the deadline is next week I was going to use the resolver template but someone sad above your best not using that???

any advice would be great thankyou
    Originally posted by seville_2003
    What would your complaint reasons be? They have to be factual and not wild guesses.
    • seville_2003
    • By seville_2003 21st Aug 19, 1:09 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    seville_2003
    What would your complaint reasons be? They have to be factual and not wild guesses.
    Originally posted by NCC-1701
    that it was mis-sold

My dad was self-employed meaning it was innapropriate and the plevin rule for pre 2008 policies he had
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,330Posts Today

8,328Users online

Martin's Twitter