Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 24th Jul 14, 1:04 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Individual Electoral Registration changes voting registration
    • 24th Jul 14, 1:04 PM
    Individual Electoral Registration changes voting registration 24th Jul 14 at 1:04 PM
    The way we register to vote in England and Wales has changed and will change in Scotland from 19th September 2014.

The change means, rather than one person registering all members of a household each individual will need to register themselves.

You need to register in order to be able to vote

If you arent registered, you dont get a say on who represents you.

It can also help boost your credit score as if you're not on the electoral roll it's unlikely you'll get accepted for credit. This is because credit reference agencies use the register to confirm where you live in order to counteract fraud.

How to register

You can register to vote online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Or if youre unsure whether you are already registered under the new system, contact your local electoral registration staff via the www.aboutmyvote.co.uk site.

Do I need to do this?

Even if you were registered in the past, you may need to register again, particularly if youve moved in the last 18 months, so do check.

Read More

Read more about the changes in our 60 Seconds... on changes to the electoral roll
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 01-10-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Page 6
    • scrasie
    • By scrasie 27th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    scrasie
    assistance required
    hi i have tried speaking to mse and the credit reference agencies and no one seems to comeback with an answer. my address that all my bills are registered too, the one that was given to me by my landlord is completely different to the one on the electoral roll. i am hoping to apply for a mortgage but i dont want to move all my creditors to the electoral roll address as it may look like i have moved. can anyone help me out?

Thank you

Caroline
    • Geoff48
    • By Geoff48 15th Jan 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Geoff48
    If you live in rural England you may create a rating fail by registering. Local Authorities are creating the address for the elector not from the postal address submitted but from the National Gazette; they dont always match and you only find out normally if you election card happens to arrive (I know of one elector relocated by the LA to another parish). If the credit provider compares the Electoral Roll with the Postal Address, you will normally be rejected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

895Posts Today

6,828Users online

Martin's Twitter