Job Hunt

What jobs are available for a 62 year old male with no job experience/record and limited educational qualifications?

Comments

• daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    How can you get to 62 without any job experience and/or limited educational qualifications??

18 year old national lottery winner who has now ran out?
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    daytona0 wrote: »
    How can you get to 62 without any job experience and/or limited educational qualifications??

18 year old national lottery winner who has now ran out?

Careing for Parents & House Husband
  • daytona0
    aardvaak wrote: »
    Careing for Parents & House Husband

Sounds like you have some skills which may transfer into at least some types of employment.... ;)
  • aardvaak
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have some skills which may transfer into at least some types of employment.... ;)

What though?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Care work?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • aardvaak
    elsien wrote: »
    Care work?

I am told that is very dirty and not very well paid for the amount of work involved
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You asked what jobs may be available for no job history or formal qualifications.
    Unless you have a hobby/interest on the side with more relevant transferable skills, you're not going to be starting at the top of anyone's pay scales. You need to get a foot in the door with something and demonstrate competence, and that may well involve minimum wage to start with. Care work, retail, bar work, whatever, it's a start.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • daytona0
    I am told that is very dirty and not very well paid for the amount of work involved

and I am told that beggars can't be choosers :)

But in seriousness, your best bet for SKILLED work is something *like* care work, if you don't necessarily want to get your hands dirty.

Failing that you'd probably be best looking at entry level jobs. McDonalds, corner shops, call centres, delivery driving (or what about driving instructor? That's actually a good shout!). Schools are also a good place too, maybe like a janitor or a lollypop man?
  • aardvaak
    I am not a begger

lollypop man is'nt that unpaid voluntary work?
  • daytona0
    I sam not a begger

lollypop man is'nt that unpaid voluntary work?

I don't mean "beggar" in a literal sense, but if you want a job so bad then you may have to not be too picky :)

Nope, I actually applied for that job about 6 years ago when I was out of work for a few months :D I believe they paid 12k pro rata if I remember correctly.... only that you were needed for 10 hours a week and so you were only getting about 3k a year. Applied via my local council.

Actually got an interview (don't know how, I was only early 20s!!) but just didn't fancy it, so didn't even turn up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure