Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 1st Jan 17, 9:53 PM
    • 5,010Posts
    • 2,156Thanks
    aardvaak
    Job Hunt
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:53 PM
    Job Hunt 1st Jan 17 at 9:53 PM
    What jobs are available for a 62 year old male with no job experience/record and limited educational qualifications?
Page 1
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 1st Jan 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:14 PM
    How can you get to 62 without any job experience and/or limited educational qualifications??

18 year old national lottery winner who has now ran out?
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 1st Jan 17, 10:29 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:29 PM
    How can you get to 62 without any job experience and/or limited educational qualifications??

18 year old national lottery winner who has now ran out?
    Originally posted by daytona0
    Careing for Parents & House Husband
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 1st Jan 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:31 PM
    Careing for Parents & House Husband
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    Sounds like you have some skills which may transfer into at least some types of employment....
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 1st Jan 17, 10:32 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:32 PM
    Sounds like you have some skills which may transfer into at least some types of employment....
    Originally posted by daytona0
    What though?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 1st Jan 17, 10:33 PM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 51,429 Thanks
    elsien
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:33 PM
    Care work?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 1st Jan 17, 10:36 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:36 PM
    Care work?
    Originally posted by elsien
    I am told that is very dirty and not very well paid for the amount of work involved
    • elsien
    • By elsien 1st Jan 17, 10:43 PM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 51,429 Thanks
    elsien
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:43 PM
    You asked what jobs may be available for no job history or formal qualifications.
    Unless you have a hobby/interest on the side with more relevant transferable skills, you're not going to be starting at the top of anyone's pay scales. You need to get a foot in the door with something and demonstrate competence, and that may well involve minimum wage to start with. Care work, retail, bar work, whatever, it's a start.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• daytona0
    • By daytona0 1st Jan 17, 10:43 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    daytona0
    I am told that is very dirty and not very well paid for the amount of work involved
    and I am told that beggars can't be choosers

But in seriousness, your best bet for SKILLED work is something *like* care work, if you don't necessarily want to get your hands dirty.

Failing that you'd probably be best looking at entry level jobs. McDonalds, corner shops, call centres, delivery driving (or what about driving instructor? That's actually a good shout!). Schools are also a good place too, maybe like a janitor or a lollypop man?
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 1st Jan 17, 10:47 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    aardvaak
    I am not a begger

lollypop man is'nt that unpaid voluntary work?
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 1st Jan 17, 10:52 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    daytona0
    I sam not a begger

lollypop man is'nt that unpaid voluntary work?
    I don't mean "beggar" in a literal sense, but if you want a job so bad then you may have to not be too picky

Nope, I actually applied for that job about 6 years ago when I was out of work for a few months I believe they paid 12k pro rata if I remember correctly.... only that you were needed for 10 hours a week and so you were only getting about 3k a year. Applied via my local council.

Actually got an interview (don't know how, I was only early 20s!!) but just didn't fancy it, so didn't even turn up!
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 1st Jan 17, 11:14 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Somewhere like Timpsons as with the greatest of respect they take on people with criminal record and therefore often limited pasts so they might be worth a go.

Also could look at jobs adverts via your job centre as that might produce less then fussy employers. I live in a small town and when I go past mine it usually boasts part time handy man, cleaner, betting shop assistant etc.

Failing this register with agencies, stick the CV on reed's 'available immediately for temporary work' and see what pops up (might be factory or warehouse at first) or try and keep an eye on shop windows for cleaner positions as I know one 'bargain supermarket retailer' does this, just pops a handwritten note in the door for a few hours at 7.20
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 1st Jan 17, 11:35 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    aardvaak
    I do not have a criminal record

I also have a full clean driving licence

I have nothing really to put on a CV
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 1st Jan 17, 11:44 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Your question has been answered, lets agree that you wont be getting whatever answer you was hoping for. Good luck.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 2nd Jan 17, 1:04 AM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Your question has been answered, lets agree that you wont be getting whatever answer you was hoping for. Good luck.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    I don't think my question has been answered
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 2nd Jan 17, 1:07 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,057 Thanks
    marliepanda
    All of this with the utmost respect.

You only have caring and 'house husband' experience. Therefore, I'm guessing cooking, cleaning, and caring.

Jobs involving cooking, cleaning and caring tend not to start out as high paying jobs. And because you have no job experience you cannot go in as a head chef, or a care manager. You have to start at the bottom.

You say the jobs are dirty. Well many people do them. You've done it unpaid for probably forty plus years. What's so bad about doing it for low pay?

With regards to your age, that isn't really the age to start a career in the minds of many employers. This is the age most people are starting to think about what to do in retirement.

You say you're not a 'beggar' well in job terms, you are. You are looking for unskilled work. Cleaner, carer, shop worker, etc. No ones going to hand you a high paying easy job just because you have a drivers license and no criminal record.
    • xbrenx
    • By xbrenx 2nd Jan 17, 8:20 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    xbrenx
    You're taking things too literally. keepcalm's comment didn't say you had a criminal record, it was to highlight the limited working past of yours.

Your question has been answered multiple times, just not with the answer you want to hear. If you've been caring for relatives your whole working life you should have some great transferrable skills, but you'll have to put some effort into finding someone who needs those skills.

I hope you find something

Somewhere like Timpsons as with the greatest of respect they take on people with criminal record and therefore often limited pasts so they might be worth a go.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I do not have a criminal record

• Stigy
    • By Stigy 2nd Jan 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Stigy
    What jobs are available for a 62 year old male with no job experience/record and limited educational qualifications?
    Supermarket, Carer, Delivery Driver etc etc. Domino's are always looking and will recruit pretty much anyone for driving and/or in store roles. money is rubbish, but that's life I'm afraid. Care work in comparison is very well paid, or can be, with hourly rates reaching 10 or 11GPB sometimes.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Jan 17, 10:48 AM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 51,429 Thanks
    elsien
    You will have things that are relevant to a basic CV but I think you may need help working out what that is and how to sell yourself.

These people may be a useful starting point.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

• pupgrum
    • By pupgrum 2nd Jan 17, 12:40 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    pupgrum
    Honestly, I don't think OP will ever get a paid job without volunteering first. At his age and complete void of work experience and limited/no education...

A housewife is accepted in modern society, but nobody expects a man to remain at home, never working at all.

If you want to look into becoming a carer, you still need qualifications.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

2,992Users online

Martin's Twitter