Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 15th Apr 10, 11:03 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Volcanic ash cloud grounds UK flights: your rights
    • 15th Apr 10, 11:03 AM
    MSE News: Volcanic ash cloud grounds UK flights: your rights 15th Apr 10 at 11:03 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Hundreds of thousands of passengers face massive disruption as thousands of flights remain grounded ..."

Read the full story:

Update 20 April, 7pm: Due to the fast-moving nature of this crisis, we've written the new Q&A guide above. See the original Volcanic ash MSE News story published last week.

Update 05 May, 12pm: With further flight cancellations today, see the Iceland volcano causes further disruption MSE News story.
    Last edited by MSE Guy; 05-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Page 32
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Feb 11, 7:23 PM
    • 78,805 Posts
    • 92,595 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Well done George!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • glendo90
    I have had a very quick response from BMI to my small claims court action, still denying any responsibility (of course), and increasing their offer from 300 to 600 plus my court fees (very nice of them) out of my claim of 1167.

To accept or to push on for full amount? I am inclined to push on... Your experiences and advice appreciated.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Feb 11, 4:37 PM
    • 78,805 Posts
    • 92,595 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I say push on, that's what I will do if Monarch offer anything less than I am claiming.

These rogue Airlines have taken too long to simply refund us for bills which were theirs to pay right at the beginning. Many people, like us, had no choice but to pay their bills so why on earth should those of us who have not given up, settle for less?
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • glendo90
    I am pushing on. I have just penned my response.
  • glendo90
    I am not claiming interest, nor my obligatory two (expensive) phone calls as I just want an end to this. The 1200 I am owed will pay for a nice short holiday for us this year as a suprise for all the family. We won't be using BMIBaby.

I have just penned a response outlining again the key points of my claim (mostly that they offered no help at all - although they are claiming they did - in clear breach of EC 261/2004) and the fact I am pushing on until a full amount is offered.

Thanks for all your help and guidance Cityboy. I feel a satisfactory conclusion is now just around the corner.
  • glendo90
    Just got news from my wife of a letter arriving from BMIBaby offerring the full amount claimed plus Court Fees.

I have won.

Thanks all (especially Cityboy) for your help, support and guidance. I will be posting my story in full idc to help others.
  • sanderr2
    Has anyone actually made it to Court?!
    I now have a court date with Monarch on the 11th of April (Kingston upon Thames) - I just wondered if anyone had any experience of a court hearing against Monarch?
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Rob
  • HXDave
    sanderr2 - i believe that Cityboy went to court with Monarch (and won), and gmassoc had a court date with Monarch (who then eventually paid out before going to court). So both seem good omen's for yours, and i would now envisage Geoff Atkinson from Monarch contacting you and hopefully coming to an amicable soloution. If not, then i'm sure that Cityboy will wish to know where the court case will be held, as he his dying to get his popcorn out and attend another court case.

HXDave
    I used to be a Travel Agent
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • sanderr2
    Get the popcorn ready...
    Hi Cityboy,
    yes re ash cloud - we were stranded in Portugal for 10 days and stayed put in our apartment. I sent the claim to Monarch along with receipts for the 2450 we had incurred on accommodation and meals.

Then we got Monarch's completely arbitrary 8pppn offer which I refused. I offered to go through mediation prior to the court appearance - which Monarch rejected (too expensive for them presumably) and my court date is this Monday (Kingston upon Thames).

So far no contact from Geoff. Get the popcorn ready!
    Cheers,
    Rob
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Apr 11, 9:38 PM
    • 78,805 Posts
    • 92,595 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    we were stranded in Portugal for 10 days and stayed put in our apartment. I sent the claim to Monarch along with receipts for the 2450 we had incurred on accommodation and meals.

Then we got Monarch's completely arbitrary 8pppn offer which I refused. I offered to go through mediation prior to the court appearance - which Monarch rejected (too expensive for them presumably) and my court date is this Monday (Kingston upon Thames).

So far no contact from Geoff. Get the popcorn ready!
    Cheers,
    Rob
    Originally posted by sanderr2

Good luck, Sanderr2!

Just hoping that Monarch aren't trying to call your bluff on any technicality - did you lodge the claim in the name of the person who paid for your flights? I recall seeing one (non-flight related) Small Claim case that was mentioned on a forum, which was kicked out on the day on a technicality. The husband had lodged the claim but the wife - who was not present in Court - had been the one who had entered the contract (her credit card used for original payment of goods/services).

Hopefully the judge will find in your favour, have all your receipts (not copies) and all paperwork with you of course.
  • Yoyosam
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone.

On Friday 1st April I finally got a cheque from bmi for the 226.90p for my prolonged stay in Portugal last year. Thought it was an April Fools joke at first!

I'd had the usual correspondence backwards and forwards like many of my fellow stranded travelers and it wasn't until I wrote and told them if they didn't settle my claim within 28 days of this letter I would go to the small claims court. Bmi wrote to say they would revue my claim and please send original receipts and the letter from my insurer saying they would not pay out, which luckily I had not sent with my initial correspondence.

So with the cheque banked and cleared I can finally close my file......Thank you
    Sealed Pot Member 1111 = 29.43 2 Coin Savers Member No 20 = 52
    Debt December 2010 = Overdraft 1,150.00 Credit Cards 10,635.39

"Pay off as much as you can in 2011" challenge
    was 11,785.39 - 519.12 = now 11,266.27
  • Yoyosam
    Oh my goodness! I have just panicked they familiar blue envelope of bmi has just dropped through my letter box. Hoping they do not want the cheque back I open to find a letter addressed to me and another cheque this time for 112.03. Wow must be my lucky day bmi are compensating me for stress......No such luck the cheque is made out to Mr. D---- B------ what fools

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Apr 11, 5:40 PM
    • 78,805 Posts
    • 92,595 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Oh my goodness! I have just panicked they familiar blue envelope of bmi has just dropped through my letter box. Hoping they do not want the cheque back I open to find a letter addressed to me and another cheque this time for 112.03. Wow must be my lucky day bmi are compensating me for stress......No such luck the cheque is made out to Mr. D---- B------ what fools
    Originally posted by Yoyosam

David Beckham? Did he get left stranded by bmi as well then?
  • Yoyosam
    David Beckham? Did he get left stranded by bmi as well then?
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    I would have gladly paid bmi to be stranded with David Beckham

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,967Users online

Martin's Twitter