Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MeesaJarJar
    Jet2 claims and travel insurance
    • 21st May 10, 1:36 PM
    Jet2 claims and travel insurance 21st May 10 at 1:36 PM
    Hello,

I have just received a form off Jet2 (after 3 weeks) to claim accomodation and food expenses due to the ash cloud.

On the form it is asking for details of my travel insurance.

What is the relationship between Jet2 compensation and travel insurance compensation?

Will Jet2 deduct any travel insurance I might recieve (which won't be much)?

The truth is I will still be out of pocket if Jet2 reimburse all I am claiming and I get the travel insurance for a delayed/cancelled flight.

Do I have to tell them about my travel insurance which has nothing to do with them?
Page 2
  • franky chipps
    Jet 2 follow up, after going to MR ,airport check in desk, 81 98p appered in My bank account,but no explanation,but the total I paid them for the flight was 154.17p.Whats that about?????
  • aitch-aitch
    Got our cheque last week for 454 - slightly less than we were expecting but we had claimed for additional car hire and they have paid us a transfer fee instead.

I specifically wrote on my claim form that I didn't want vouchers and looks like they took notice.
  • Begize
    Still nothing from them for us.

Just checked, their acknowledgement of our claim form is dated 2nd June, so by my calculations, that's 8 weeks ago today.....

Bearing in mind they were estimating 35 days for processing up until last week, that seems a bit of a joke too me, especially since they are claiming they have now done 90% of the forms and they are being done in the order they were received. Hmmm.

If I haven't heard anything by Monday, it's time for a letter threatening them with the AUC and CAA.

On a better note, they've refunded the 1091 for the other booking I made but not took my "airmiles" off me! Yaay, one free return flight, at a time to suit them, obviously....
  • aitch-aitch

Just checked, their acknowledgement of our claim form is dated 2nd June, so by my calculations, that's 8 weeks ago today.....

Bearing in mind they were estimating 35 days for processing up until last week, that seems a bit of a joke too me, especially since they are claiming they have now done 90% of the forms and they are being done in the order they were received. Hmmm.

If I haven't heard anything by Monday, it's time for a letter threatening them with the AUC and CAA.

On a better note, they've refunded the 1091 for the other booking I made but not took my "airmiles" off me! Yaay, one free return flight, at a time to suit them, obviously....
    Originally posted by Begize
    Our claim was acknowledged later than yours and we have now been paid out - they sent the chq by recorded delivery. I would defo chase them up.
  • MeesaJarJar
    Originally posted by Begize
    Same here.

How do you chase them up?

They said don't send anymore communications because that would just slow them down.
  • Begize
    Same here.

How do you chase them up?

They said don't send anymore communications because that would just slow them down.
    Originally posted by MeesaJarJar
    Ignore that. I will send a letter on Monday, recorded delivery, telling them they have seven days to make me my offer or I will contact the CAA / AUC.

I've sent them a few letters and had replies - one was to get an insurance letter / statement about the delay (although to be fair, I had to write twice before they sent one), and another was to get my second refunds (which again, I had to write twice about, and even then, they never replied, just credited the money back to my card.)

There's no point in calling as you pay 50p a minute to speak to someone in India who has less idea than you what is going on.

The website today is claiming 95% of forms processed
  • Begize
    Further update, didn't send the letter last Monday. Typed and printed it ready to send, but left it on my desk at work and forgot. Got home to find a card saying RM had a special delivery letter that needed signing for. Wasn't expecting anything so waited till I could pick it up on Saturday..... only to find it wasn't from Jet2

So, sent the letter this Monday instead and decided to give them 10 working days to make me an offer or I will take it further.
  • Begize
    ....and another update.

Had a missed call and voicemail yesterday from Jet2. Seems they thought a cheque had gone out on June 10th, but it appears it was never sent. I spoke to a very helpful lady called Suzanne Cooper a few minitues ago who explained they are sending one out today and apologised for the mix up.

Best bit is..... I have a phone number for their customer services team now..... and it's a direct UK number, not a call centre or 0870 one.

If anyone want's it, PM me.
    Last edited by Begize; 18-08-2010 at 12:44 PM.
  • MeesaJarJar
    Today Jet2 sent us a cheque for half the amount we claimed, they made some flimsy excuse about the other half that I'm sure I could chase them on.

It says "paid without prejudice".

What does that mean?

I would like to bank the cheque and then argue the toss about the other half, but will banking it mean I accept the offer and that's that?
  • Begize
    Today Jet2 sent us a cheque for half the amount we claimed, they made some flimsy excuse about the other half that I'm sure I could chase them on.

It says "paid without prejudice".

What does that mean?

I would like to bank the cheque and then argue the toss about the other half, but will banking it mean I accept the offer and that's that?
    Originally posted by MeesaJarJar
    As far as I know it means that you can bank the cheque but still get back to them to claim the rest if you want. It's basically saying they are making you a payment without prejudicing your rights to any further action. If they had put "in full and final settlement" then by banking the cheque, you accept the matter is finished.

Incidentally, we got our cheque and they paid up in full, I even got more than I thought because they used a higher exchange rate. We didn't claim any costs for accomodation, phone, fax, internet or transport as we managed to stay with relatives. The only costs we had were a few supermarket trips and one meal out. I think they must have decided that 226 for four people for six days was a bargain!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Aug 10, 12:49 AM
    • 78,844 Posts
    • 92,647 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No, I'm sure the words 'paid without prejudice' aren't there for the passenger's benefit!

I'm not a lawyer but I believe they've used it to mean that having made a partial payment they are not 'allowing' that payment to prejudice their defence if taken to Court for the rest. When it's used at the top of a letter it stops the contents of that letter from being used against them in a Small Claims Court case.

So I read it that by paying a partial amount they are not admitting liability for the rest.

I think if it were me with that Jet2 cheque, I would give them 7 days notice that you intend to bank it strictly as an interim payment, and that in banking that amount it in no way suggests that you have accepted it as 'full and final settlement'. Conclude that the absence of any clear response from them to the contrary within seven days will be deemed as their implied acceptance of your conditions of banking that partial payment.

Finish by saying you'll reserve the right to take them to Court for the remainder without further reference to them, in which case Court costs, expenses and interest at 8% per annum will be added to the amount owing. Head the letter up 'Letter before Claim' or Letter before Action' (Google searches will show examples of this sort of letter). It's the step before Court action and is what a judge will expect you to have done to show you have been reasonable and tried to get your money back without Court first.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,934Posts Today

8,794Users online

Martin's Twitter