How to prove unemplyoment if not in receipt of benefits?

Options
My son enrolled for a welding course at the local college that was free to the unemployed or people that were earning under £17,500. After attending for 2 days he has been told that he isn't eligible for funding for the course as he doesn't fit the criteria and can no longer attend. He hasn't worked since June but isn't in receipt of any benefits so they are not classing him as unemployed. As he isn't working he can't show a pay slip to prove income under £17,500. It is a ridiculous situation, has anyone been in this situation or know of a way round this? All help gratefully received!

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Full bank statement for the last few months showing no income? Letter from previous employer about end of contract or school/college? I don't know if they'd be accepted but it might at least be worth a try.
  • Hellykay
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. He gave in his P45 with all components as a type of proof when he enrolled and they say statements don't count for anything.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is he registered as unemployed?
  • Hellykay
    Options
    He applied for UC but was turned down. He has nothing from them saying that he was registered as unemployed at that time. Could that be done separately? All I can find on Gov UK is how to apply for benefit and been on hold for JCP to find out for 45 mins now! Doesn't say what time the phone lines close and beginning to suspect they may have gone home......
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think as a general thimg it's to be expected that if you're unemployed you should really be claiming the benefits, because otherwise you're sort of doing yourself down. Of course that's up to your son.

It may well be that the college can claim something back with regards to the funding if they can show that the students are unemployed, maybe a grant or something, same for people below a certain income threshold. Probably no different to "on the job training".

A bank statement showing no income for months on end may not necessarily prove unemployment, it just means nothing went into that account. Presumably your son lives at home with you?
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    On what grounds was he turned down for UC? Did he attempt to claim New Style JSA which is based on previously paid National Insurance?

He could still have claimed for NI credits even if not entitled to financial help, this would have classed him as registered unemployed.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Hellykay
    Options
    Hi Neil, he tried to claim benefit and isn't entitled to anything. The college get full funding for eligible students which they now say he isn't.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    On what grounds was he turned down for UC? Did he attempt to claim New Style JSA which is based on previously paid National Insurance?
    Please answer these questions.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hellykay wrote: »
    Hi Neil, he tried to claim benefit and isn't entitled to anything.
    Do you know why not?
    Even if not entitled to payment he could still register as unemployed and receive NI credits provided he carries out required work search activities. I believe he would do this by applying for new style JSA even if he doesn’t meet the NI qualifying conditions.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hellykay
    Options
    @poppy12345 he's not entitled to UC, he was working part time while studying previously and hasn't hit the earning threshold for stamp. He's only 20.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure