Tesco Savings DDs

Comments

• I have just realised that you can "Auto Top Up" your Amazon.co.uk account by £1 per month from any of your credit cards on your account.
    I am going to use this to have a regular monthly payment of £1 on a credit card I don't use that much (or you could open one just for this)and then link that card to my current account as a regular monthly £1 DD.
    Then I can just spend the amazon balance every now and again when it builds up.
    (Not sure but I suppose you could do it for several Credit Cards linked to the same amazon account)
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 November 2017 at 3:58PM
    Chessy wrote: »
    I have just realised that you can "Auto Top Up" your Amazon.co.uk account by £1 per month from any of your credit cards on your account.
    I am going to use this to have a regular monthly payment of £1 on a credit card I don't use that much (or you could open one just for this)and then link that card to my current account as a regular monthly £1 DD.
    (Not sure but I suppose you could do it for several Credit Cards linked to the same amazon account)

Did you check it on your current account that the transaction appears as DDs on your DD list, or they just taking it as one offf payment on your account ??
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Chessy wrote: »
    I have just realised that you can "Auto Top Up" your Amazon.co.uk account by £1 per month from any of your credit cards on your account.

....or simply use your credit cards in the normal way and ensure each one gets used for at least one small purchase each month.

It isn't rocket science :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So what banks do we have left that accept DD.
    I know we have the Post Office any others?
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Looks like we all have some work/research to do. Just come across this thread and have loads of Tesco DDs
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    adindas wrote: »
    Indeed not a rocket science and if you could that it is great,
    But presumably not many people are buying eight different items (or whatever) each month from Amazon.

Presumably not. But most people buy food from supermarkets or other shops, buy coffees, sandwiches, train tickets, top up Oyster cards, buy petrol or diesel, eat out, do non-Amazon online shopping.... in fact all the things which credit cards were designed for or have found a use for.

Very few people make fewer purchases in total each month than the number of credit cards they possess. So apart from navigating around cashback considerations all you need to do is to use your credit card(s) for normal everyday purchases.

There is no need to 'invent' clever ways of spending exactly one pound per month on each card.

People being overly clever is quite likely one factor in why we are all hunting out alternative DD arrangements right now.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hmm, this is going to be difficult, seems like we will need 6 DDs paying out monthly each for our MrT current a/c's to maintain the 3% interest, and her indoors will need another 6 DDs to maintain her Vantage 2% interest on her BOS accounts.

Luckily the YB will have paid out the £250 bonus to each of us before this kicks in - one small conciliation.

Looks as though we could end up with at least 3 charities gaining minimum payments monthly from both of us, although with BOS at 2% it may just be easier and cheaper to close them and stick the money in Fixed rate bonds instead as it is never touched anyway.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Presumably not. But most people buy food from supermarkets or other shops, buy coffees, sandwiches, train tickets, top up Oyster cards, buy petrol or diesel, eat out, do non-Amazon online shopping.... in fact all the things which credit cards were designed for or have found a use for.

Very few people make fewer purchases in total each month than the number of credit cards they possess. So apart from navigating around cashback considerations all you need to do is to use your credit card(s) for normal everyday purchases.

There is no need to 'invent' clever ways of spending exactly one pound per month on each card.

People being overly clever is quite likely one factor in why we are all hunting out alternative DD arrangements right now.

Well that depends on how many credit cards you have and how many DDs you need - we would need at least 6 each which we don't have at the moment, on top of that there is the extra admin needed to keep the accounts paying the DDs full up...
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 November 2017 at 8:43PM
    harz99 wrote: »

Looks as though we could end up with at least 3 charities gaining minimum payments monthly from both of us, although with BOS at 2% it may just be easier and cheaper to close them and stick the money in Fixed rate bonds instead as it is never touched anyway.

May I respectfully draw your attention to post #392 (page 20) in this thread, where you could consider helping a charity, resolve you DDs.. And there is also the possibility of a windfall, too, as it's via their charity lottery.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm charitable, but I can't bear the thought of receiving mail from various charities year on end...:(
    Free thinker.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport