PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House listed for sale - Owner not signed anything to agree this

pippinh
pippinh Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 16 May 2018 at 7:06PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all here is my original question - on behalf of a friend who is having a horrendous time.

PS - apologies to those I offended for trying to delete the post originally??!!!

Hi a friend of mine has a home and her ex hub has thrown her out recently, changing the locks and not allowing her entrance into her home (the ex is not the homeowner and is not listed on the deeds)

Today my friend was shocked to discover the family home has now been listed for sale via a local EA.

My obvious question is - is he allowed to do this? Surely the EA would require documents to be signed by the actual owner of the home?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If it's her house, what's she doing allowing herself to be thrown out?

When you say ex huh, are they divorced as yet, have the financial splits been agreed/auctioned?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Who is the owner?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    pippinh wrote: »
    Today my friend was shocked to discover the family home has now been listed for sale via a local EA.

My obvious question is - is he allowed to do this? Surely the EA would require documents to be signed by the actual owner of the home?

I would guess that he lied to the EA. If he presented himself to them as the owner, they'd believe him. It's not until any solicitors become involved in the actual sale that the deeds are checked.

I would suggest your friend get in contact with the EA sharpish with evidence showing she is the owner!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • pippinh
    Hello Elsien!

Believe me, diddly squat - no other parties involved as far as I know, her now ex has just said that they don't want to be with her anymore and had the locks changed whilst she was at work.

Anyhoo, any advice on EA and signing documents allowing listing for sale? x
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Asked and answered. Does she own the house? If so, she should call the EA and take along proof of ownership.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • pippinh
    They have literally been split up for a month - they were together up until she got home and locks had been changed. The home is in her name only. I really feel for her, her head is up her you know what!
  • pippinh
    Cheers guys I've told my pal to go into the EA first thing in the morning with proof of ownership (hopefully she will have emails because all her paperwork is in the flippin house! argh!)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is nothing to stop her getting a locksmith to get access. She has as much right to be there as he does. Depending on the length of their marriage, possibly more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    She needs to get a solicitor involved pronto. The guys an idjut does he really think I he can get the money from the sale? Also involve the police as a priority. Make sure she takes proof of ownership.
  • pippinh
    Thanks Elsien I think she is just scared and feeling out of her depth right now. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure