I want to put back access in my house

Currently in my back garden, there is a small concrete wall, probably 5 foot in height, then a taller (maybe 10ft) metal fence similar to this http://www.aafencing.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/b6f89a59e620b3e9e55f59213b061530/p/a/palisade_wt_close_3.png
Then a smaller wooden fence, then finally around 2 foot of hedge.

The metal fence, from what my neighbor (who's lived in her house for 50 years), was put there because the land at the back of the property used to be a school, however it has now been built on by the housing association for elderly people. The land directly behind my property is grassed but (for some reason) the council have put in a L shaped footpath across the grass.

I would like to a gate at the back of my property as it's a pain for example when I get logs delivered as I have to either chuck them over the fences or carry through the house. Would it be the local planning department I would need to speak to to gain permission or at the very least to see if this is doable?
Dwy galon, un dyhead,
Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
Dau enaid ond un taith.

Comments

• Your starting point would be whoever owns the land behind your property. There!!!8217;s no point putting in a gate unless you have permission to access it via their land.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your starting point would be whoever owns the land behind your property. There!!!8217;s no point putting in a gate unless you have permission to access it via their land.

I'll have to have a look at land registry, I think it is owned by our local housing assocation & at present is just a piece of grass land with a stupid L-Shaped path running through it.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Do any of your neighbours have a gate to this grassed area?

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What is the purpose of the footpath the Council have installed on this grass area, where does it lead to?

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If all you require to be altered is a gate in your wall I don't think anyone can stop you doing that but the Council might object to you using it to access their land.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You can ask the question of the Council but you may not get the answer you want.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Alternatively you could just install a gate, as inconspicuous looking as possible, and see if anyone objects.[/FONT]
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Do any of your neighbours have a gate to this grassed area?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What is the purpose of the footpath the Council have installed on this grass area, where does it lead to?

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If all you require to be altered is a gate in your wall I don't think anyone can stop you doing that but the Council might object to you using it to access their land.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You can ask the question of the Council but you may not get the answer you want.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Alternatively you could just install a gate, as inconspicuous looking as possible, and see if anyone objects.[/FONT]

No, no one else has a gate.

This is the land...
    1z6avt3.jpg
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Looks like council amenity land, not sure what the footpath is for, maybe there were some benches on the land from the look of it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It does not look like the sort of place the council would grant you access rights to and it also looks as if you would have to hack a hole in the bushes to access your back garden making it pretty obvious what you were doing.[/FONT]
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It does not look like the sort of place the council would grant you access rights to and it also looks as if you would have to hack a hole in the bushes to access your back garden making it pretty obvious what you were doing.[/FONT]

^^^This.

The council are unlikely to be happy with you crossing over their nice planted flower bed to gain access to your property, and if the shrubs/bushes are theirs, then you cannot cut them down without permission.

But I would still consider contacting the council to ask about the possibility of having an access way - it is something they could potentially do using a licence which permits you access without granting any permanent right. Expect to have to pay the council's legal costs, plus the cost of making the access safe.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport