Foodbank thread - please link to any suitable bargains for bulk purchases

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Approved Food - you can search for in date items only. Delivery is not cheap, but they sometimes have offers on that.

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/latest_products

There's a thread on here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2624867

Some people have had problems, but I think they've really got their act together. The real bargains are 'case prices' but you have to spend to save.

What a great idea this thread is.
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    bylromarha wrote: »
    I think most people on this website are already savvy shoppers and good at getting value for money.

Why not do what I do and just pick up extras of what you're buying for yourself? I know I'm getting a good deal anyway, so have no qualms about putting in extra tins/packets/loo roll for foodbank.

Our local Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys all have collection points after the checkouts, as well as the church who run it. Dead simple to bag up the goods purchased for foodbank, then drop it off after my shop at Aldi.

This doesn't quite work for me in the same way as I tend to buy bulk for my family because this works out cheapest. Our foodbank has a fair lot of single people/single mums with one child so they have said that they find it much easier to deal with smaller packs of a variety of food rather than one huge pack.

I did start off just adding an extra pack of heinz baked beans but then it got me thinking - why give 4 tins of heinz, if I can buy 8 tins of another for the same cash. Hence the thought of collating what were good buys - as I think Aldi/Lidl/savers brand can be hit or miss unless you are in the know.

Plus, rather than just buying a couple of extra items each shop, I'll save up our nectar/clubcard points or spare cash and do a £50 shop every few weeks or month for them - so the challenge for me is to get as much value out of that as I can :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    bluep wrote: »
    Thanks Polaria - that's really useful. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about on one hand wanting to buy as much as I can quantity-wise for my money to donate to the food bank but on the other hand why should people have to eat really rubbish food!?! So I'd rather pay 13p for a tin of rice pudding instead of 96p but not if its not very nice to eat at all!

I now only buy the sp or value rice pudding, 15p at the moment and its really nice.
    Slimming World at target
  • The sainsburys basics range is actually really good. Except I prefer the tesco cheapo tea bags. I use most of it myself.

I try to put at Least 2-3 items in the foodbanks trolley eyery week.
    People seem to put in a lot of higher value but no better quality stuff I've noticed which is a shame IMO as they could be feeding more for their money although obv all donations are good.

I put in kidney beans, chopped toms, baked beans, rice, pasta, dried milk, flour, coffee, juice, pasta sauce, tinned potatos, pudding rice, soya milk, raisins, sainsburys basics white choc - which if you haven't tried you must as it tastes much nicer than 30p quite a lot.

They won't accept fruit or veg fresh at my local one
  • bluep
    I agree - I think there is far better value for money to be had than what people currently donate (but hey, better to have something donated than nothing at all!). I also think its a shame that so much of it are things like biscuits, instant noodles, instant potato mash, tins - I'd rather buy big sacks of potatos and veg that will last a while (I'm sure carrots/potatos/onions would be viable for quite a while as would a huge sack of rice and splitting it into smaller bags at the food bank). Anyhow, I'm thinking of stocking up when I next go to Costco on whatever they have on special offer that fits what they've asked for. I reakon I can spare around £50 a month to donate so find it a challenge to get value for money!
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    bluep wrote: »
    I agree - I think there is far better value for money to be had than what people currently donate (but hey, better to have something donated than nothing at all!). I also think its a shame that so much of it are things like biscuits, instant noodles, instant potato mash, tins - I'd rather buy big sacks of potatos and veg that will last a while (I'm sure carrots/potatos/onions would be viable for quite a while as would a huge sack of rice and splitting it into smaller bags at the food bank). Anyhow, I'm thinking of stocking up when I next go to Costco on whatever they have on special offer that fits what they've asked for. I reakon I can spare around £50 a month to donate so find it a challenge to get value for money!

Our local foodbank does not take fruit and veg also they say not allowed to split sacks of rice and pasta so only take small packs.
    Slimming World at target
  • bluep
    Sorry if that was unclear, I know they don't split large sacks but I was saying that it is a shame as it would be far more economical if they did.
  • mrsHall2b
    mrsHall2b Posts: 521 Forumite
    just wanted to post people putting all kinds of beans and pulses etc in, they will likely be thrown away as alot of people using the food banks arnt going to know how to use them or have other ingredients to use them with.

i know of a few people who have used it and all they where interested in where the crisps and canned meal type things. many people dont have the skills to cook properly now
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mrsHall2b wrote: »
    just wanted to post people putting all kinds of beans and pulses etc in, they will likely be thrown away as alot of people using the food banks arnt going to know how to use them or have other ingredients to use them with.

i know of a few people who have used it and all they where interested in where the crisps and canned meal type things. many people dont have the skills to cook properly now

They need this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Called-Jack-delicious-recipes/dp/0718178947 then or a few print outs from http://agirlcalledjack.com/tag/recipes/
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • bluep
    I tend to stick to the list that the food bank gave me and a bit of common sense - most people can deal with a tin of sweetcorn but kidney beans and chick peas aren't going to be that popular! It's emergency survival food really rather than long term "what am I going to make today" sort of thing. That said, I do agree with Richard - there are some great cheap recipes out there...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure