PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would you need to know as a LL if a tenant wanted an OH to move in?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Sure and that's great, I've had landlords like that in the past. Just don't let them take the mick

Ha I would certainly get annoyed if she just popped over all the time, I don't like my space being invaded!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Ha I would certainly get annoyed if she just popped over all the time, I don't like my space being invaded!
    Anyway back to the other point.

A guest can be a guest for as long as you want them to be a guest. You and you alone decide who can be in your property.
  • System
    Anyway back to the other point.

A guest can be a guest for as long as you want them to be a guest. You and you alone decide who can be in your property.

Okay thank you, perhaps I'll have him stay with me as a guest for the first few months (I'm a realist and I know it may not work out as living with someone is a big test of a relationship) and then perhaps when I renew my tenancy in April ask for him to be added at that time given I'll be renewing anyway.
  • Guest101
    Okay thank you, perhaps I'll have him stay with me as a guest for the first few months (I'm a realist and I know it may not work out as living with someone is a big test of a relationship) and then perhaps when I renew my tenancy in April ask for him to be added at that time given I'll be renewing anyway.
    That's very sensible :)

Now go get a bottle of bubbly and tell him the good news
  • System
    That's very sensible :)

Now go get a bottle of bubbly and tell him the good news

He comes to visit tomorrow, I'll have the beers ready!!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The issue could arise if you are currently in receipt of benefits as a single person for instance, and she was concerns that this would stop with your boyfriend moving in and potentially not being able to afford the rent together.

Saying that, what would she do? As stated above, just wait until the end of the fixed term.

I still think it would be good manners to let her know and provide her with the assurance that it won't change anything to your ability to pay rent, but it's up to you whether to do so or not.
  • System
    FBaby wrote: »
    The issue could arise if you are currently in receipt of benefits as a single person for instance, and she was concerns that this would stop with your boyfriend moving in and potentially not being able to afford the rent together.

Saying that, what would she do? As stated above, just wait until the end of the fixed term.

I still think it would be good manners to let her know and provide her with the assurance that it won't change anything to your ability to pay rent, but it's up to you whether to do so or not.

Thanks for your advice, I'm not in receipt of any benefits aside from 25% council tax discount which naturally will be sacrificed once we have registered him at the property.

Having considered the other points made I will have him move in on a guest basis and e-mail her to let her know my boyfriend is staying at the property on a trial basis to see if it works for us living together. I supposed I sometimes forget that even though I rent it is still my home, I feel so obliged to notify my landlady of everything I'm doing!
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I ( as a landlady) am going to disagree with most of the advice already given.
    You have a good relationship with your LL and have clearly thought through all the important points about your OH ( employed, no criminal record etc etc) I think those points ARE relevant.
    I would email her and give all the info you gave here and ask permission for OH to reside at the property, with you remaining as named tenant. I cannot see that any half decent LL would object but IMO it's far better all round to be completely honest about the situation.
  • Guest101
    Well I ( as a landlady) am going to disagree with most of the advice already given.
    You have a good relationship with your LL and have clearly thought through all the important points about your OH ( employed, no criminal record etc etc) I think those points ARE relevant. - Why are they relevant? If she doesn't want him on the tenancy yet?
    I would email her and give all the info you gave here and ask permission for OH to reside at the property, with you remaining as named tenant. I cannot see that any half decent LL would object but IMO it's far better all round to be completely honest about the situation.
    What do you mean permission? She doesn't need permission.
  • abuttyout
    abuttyout Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can have whoever you want round whenever you want.

Its got nothing to do with the LL end of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure