PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

lanlord cancels day before tenancy

Options
Hi,

yesterday I signed a 12mth tenancy agreement and today I was supposed to be collecting tge keys. I have paid a 6 week deposit and 6 mths rent in advance.

Last night (6.50pm) I received an email from the agent saying they had to cancel the check in, under instructions from the Landlord.

My question is, can they do this? I have signed the agreement paid over all the monies, purchased curtains, packed all my belongings, and I also had a removal van hired for today.

Is this is a breach of contract and what happens to the agents fees of £550 that I have already paid?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the landlord want to cancel the contract completely or just delay the date of check-in?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Have you phoned the agency to find out exactly what's happening?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the tenancy has been signed by both parties go to their office to collect the keys.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • jumari
    jumari Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I signed the tenancy agreement yesterday, not sure if landlord has. Estate agent says its never happened before and so is out of their hands. result = Home in boxes with nowhere to go. Disabled daughter in tears along with my 5 & 6 yr olds
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jumari wrote: »
    I signed the tenancy agreement yesterday, not sure if landlord has. Estate agent says its never happened before and so is out of their hands. result = Home in boxes with nowhere to go. Disabled daughter in tears along with my 5 & 6 yr olds

Have you got a copy of the Agreement?
  • Heather2603
    Options
    Did they give any reasons? Is it a cancellation of tenancy altogether or just a delay? If cancellation have they advised when you will receive a refund of all monies paid?
  • jumari
    Options
    Landlord has decided they don't want to let to us period. No explanation, the agent will refund £9000 minus referencing. Not sure if I can claim for the curtains I have purchased.

I was just trying to find out if there was a breach of contract.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think you have any claim with regards to the curtains or any other furnishing you have purchased. I would however be asking for the referencing fees back. Either the letting agent should waive them or claim them from their client.
  • cooltt
    cooltt Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jumari wrote: »
    Landlord has decided they don't want to let to us period. No explanation, the agent will refund £9000 minus referencing. Not sure if I can claim for the curtains I have purchased.

I was just trying to find out if there was a breach of contract.

If the TA was signed by both parties then yes the landlord is in breach of contract and you are entitled to damages for the cost of finding somewhere else to live and the cost of referencing.

This is why you make sure the TA is signed by the agent / landlord BEFORE you sign it.
  • jumari
    Options
    Thank you, some good advice x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business