3 Getting there own back?

Recently received a letter through the post from 3 advising me that the 12 month minimum term on my Sim only contract has now ended and they have provided me with some discounted deals on new contracts but of course the price has increased.
My current contract started in January 2014 and i have letters to prove this, and there only now telling me that my 12 month minimum term is over? hmmmm something smells fishy to me......

My current contract is:

Unlimited data, text and 200 mins for £15 per month

The deal they have offered is:

Unlimited data, minutes and i think text too for £19 per month

Now i know this new deal sounds good (£1 less if i bought off the high street) but i don't even use 200 mins and I'm a bit peeved off to have to pay £4 more than what i did for essentially the same thing.

What makes me laugh is:

December 2016 i complained about poor service (loss of phone signal and 3G service) and during 3 weeks of December had very little to no service what so ever!
So of course i complained and at first they offered me £5 refund but i argued with them until they refunded me the full months bill (£15)

Now all of a sudden my minimum 12 month contract is up, 2 years later may i add and I'm having to move contracts! Personally i think 3 are trying to pull the wool over my eyes and are getting sweet revenge over having to refund me £15

Anyone else been in a similar position?

Should i take it further or just except that 3 has won this battle?:rotfl:

Ive checked and no other phone provider can beat what 3 are offering.

Advice and tips welcome.

Regards.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Yes 3 have created this deal just to get back £15.....
  • srisport
    srisport Posts: 198 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Yes 3 have created this deal just to get back £15.....

Not quite the advise i was looking for but thanks......

P.S

I know they haven't created a special contract just for me for as pay back.... but they were ok with me going over my minimum term by 2 years and now all of sudden they have a change of heart?

Regards.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    srisport wrote: »
    Not quite the advise i was looking for but thanks......

P.S

I know they haven't created a special contract just for me for as pay back.... but they were ok with me going over my minimum term by 2 years and now all of sudden they have a change of heart?

Regards.

You didn't "go over your minimum term by two years". Your T&Cs will state it will either go to a rolling 30 day contract or a rolling 12 month contract if you don't cancel.

If you're not happy, leave. its that simple. I have no idea what you're looking for here, three aren't "getting their own back" - tariffs and price plans change all the time, and they are just readjusting yours in line with what is now their standard. either agree to the new terms or leave and give them their 30 days notice.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I signed up with Three a few months ago. After cashback, it costs £6.50 a month for unlimited minutes and texts and 4GB data.

£15 a month for just 200 minutes is insane!!! It's definitely worth shopping around as a "new" customer... :-)
  • srisport
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    You didn't "go over your minimum term by two years". Your T&Cs will state it will either go to a rolling 30 day contract or a rolling 12 month contract if you don't cancel.

If you're not happy, leave. its that simple. I have no idea what you're looking for here, three aren't "getting their own back" - tariffs and price plans change all the time, and they are just readjusting yours in line with what is now their standard. either agree to the new terms or leave and give them their 30 days notice.

Im not quite sure what I'm looking for either, maybe this is all a coincidence. But i thought i would post the query anyway.

Thank you for your response.

Regards.
  • srisport
    edited 7 March 2017 at 6:32PM
    esuhl wrote: »
    I signed up with Three a few months ago. After cashback, it costs £6.50 a month for unlimited minutes and texts and 4GB data.

£15 a month for just 200 minutes is insane!!! It's definitely worth shopping around as a "new" customer... :-)

Thanks for your tip, I'm still looking at alternative contracts but if I'm honest no one comes close to three and what their offering.

Did you still get the cashback?

Regards.
  • esuhl
    Thanks for your tip, I'm still looking at alternative contracts but if I'm honest no one comes close to three and what their offering.

Regards.

Yeah -- it's annoying when it works like that. It'd be a bit of a faff, but you could get a free PAYG SIM on another network and port your number to that. As soon as it's ported, sign up to another Three deal (and move your number back) and you'll qualify as being a "new customer"...
  • srisport
    edited 7 March 2017 at 6:32PM
    esuhl wrote: »
    Yeah -- it's annoying when it works like that. It'd be a bit of a faff, but you could get a free PAYG SIM on another network and port your number to that. As soon as it's ported, sign up to another Three deal (and move your number back) and you'll qualify as being a "new customer"...

Don't think i would have to do that, the terms only say on new contracts, so as long as i cancel my old contract and purchase a new contract then that should meet their criteria for cashback, i would then have to transfer my old number as well.

Just out of interest, was your contract on sale when you got it? If its the one I've seen then is it 4GB data, Unlimited texts/mins for £11 (was £17) on a 12 month contract?

Did you get £50 Cashback

Regards.
  • esuhl
    Don't think i would have to do that, the terms only say on new contracts, so as long as i cancel my old contract and purchase a new contract then that should meet their criteria for cashback, i would then have to transfer my old number as well.

If you cancel your old contract, won't you lose your phone number...?
    Just out of interest, was your contract on sale when you got it? If its the one I've seen then is it 4GB data, Unlimited texts/mins for £11 (was £17) on a 12 month contract?

Did you get £50 Cashback

Regards.

I can't remember the details, but there was some kind of promotion on the Three site. And I got cashback via Quidco too.

I think it might have been £30 or £35 cashback because the discount on the Three site was already pretty good.

I think I just timed it right and got a really good deal. I'd been looking around for a while and the prices and cashback seem to fluctuate quite a bit over time.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Same here - had three of these contracts and had letter on all of them in the last couple of months. You're right, the £19 deal is good if you need the data but I expect to have to renegotiate again 12 months.

I don't think they're required to tell you when the original contracts end, I don't remember a provider who has told me tbh. The contract is still in force, albeit on a 30 day rolling contract. They're entitled to change the terms at this stage, just as you can cancel when you like now

Have a look at your bills and see if you really need all the data - my step daughter thought she was data heavy but only actually used 7Gb and was able to find a better deal elsewhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure