Nuaire Drimaster location

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    arrtex wrote: »
    thanks, for the details, I have one last question if I may, if I understand it right this reading is from inside of your house where your drimaster is pushing the air into the house. what I was wondering is, what is the humidity where the drimaster is actually sucking the air from (in my case it should be loft area, which is currently more humid than the house)

Well as the loft temperature is currently 2c warmer than outside and outside last night was reading 90% @ 2.3c it is now 88% @ 1.6c so the loft will be similar to that. The loft temperature will prob begin to rise today with the sun shining on the roof so that little bit of free heat is better than opening the windows. I can't check humidity of the loft (don't have any ladders at the moment) but as the loft has 100% outside air then I expect it to match outside. Again we come back to the relative humidity explanation of warm vs cold air humidity wise.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • arrtex
    arrtex Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, this is what I wanted to hear, some real life readings.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Introducing cold air from outside will lower the humidity but also the indoor temperature. You will have to add more heat to raise the internal temperature. The cheapest way of heating is using gas (central heating) not an electric resistance heater in a Drimaster unit.

If you assess the cost of a Drimaster plus installation, say £500, how does that compare to your heating bill? You could just open all your windows for 10 minutes every day and air your house instead.

Before doing anything, buy a few cheap LCD moisture/temperature meters from the big auction site or the website that sells books and everything else. Try airing your house and see what difference it makes to your internal relative humidity readings.

Running a Drimaster has a massive effect on internal temperatures/heating costs. I admire the way Numaster promote their product so cleverly and have a couple of 'champions' who shout down any comments that are less than fulsome praise.
  • richardc1983
    edited 5 January 2015 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Please Robwiz this has been covered many many times... It is not specific to the drimaster product which is just a fan. Any posirive pressure ventilation fan does the same. It does not have a massive effect on internal temperature neither has it caused an increase at all in my heating bills. If anything the house is warmer from not having every window open. My drimaster and install didn't cost £500 to include install either so you need to get your facts straight, what frustrates me the most is people who vent off about a product they have never used or have experience of. This product works, in fact any fan from any manufActurer would work and do the same job - it's just a fan at the end of the day but as I have the drimaster I can only comment on that product.

Airing the house does not work, you don't know get the postive pressure which is what is needed to allow air exchanges. Notice how the house is nice and aired if u open windows on a windy day, that's because the wind pressurises the house if u open a window upstairs and downstairs on opposite sides you get a through draught. These conditions are not always there though so mechanical ventilation is required.

You obviously don't understand what the Heater is for... Have you read the website I linked into previously? http://www.drimaster-piv-condensation-system.co.uk

The heater is literally for our comfort so you don't feel a blast of cold air on the landing when you walk from the shower to the bedroom Etv. We don't have a radiator on the landing to heat the air so even when it's 0c outside my landing is only 18c when the heating is on but the warm air rises from down stairs and mixes with the cooler air to give an even temperature. That's before we even switch the heater on which we run for 2 hours morning and then 2 hours come night. Whilst I agree with you that gas is cheaper to heat than electric many people want the option on the unit so they don't experience those cold moments particularly after showering. Currently it's sunny and drimaster is blowing into the house at 11c it's 6c out. So that's 5c warmer than if I was to open the windows and have the noise and dust as well as the raw outside temp of 5c coming straight in. These systems do work it's very simple there's no jargon it's just a fan that pushes air into the house and stale air out. You can speed it up or slow it down depends how fresh you want the air.

Anyone who says this product is making their house colder needs to realise that A: nothing is free in life, fresh clean air does cost to heat if you want fresh air in the house, b: they are being tight with the heating and most importantly they probably have the speed set too high. It takes a bit of tinkering to get the right setting that works for you and your comfort.

I'm certainly no champion or connected with the company I'm just an everyday consumer (check my posts on here) who has an interest in indoor air quality in my home.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    I would also like to point out that we had some roof repairs and roof slates fixed yesterday. The drimaster was turned off whilst they was doing it but they have used a sealant on the roof that takes 48 hours to cure. When it switched back on yesterday the whole house smelt of the sealant so it just shows that this fan pushes the air right to the other ends of the house especially if you can smell that.
  • arrtex
    arrtex Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2015 at 4:20PM
    Options
    the reason I came to this forum and asked the question was that I have done all the above mentioned (opening windows every morning, heating the house with gas boiler, buying the humidity meter, and so on) all this didn't solve the problem and that's why I was investigating the Drimaster, based on the answers here and reviews everywhere else it seems that this "fan" will do the job, so I have bitten the bullet and bought it today (including heater attached to the unit) once I will install it I will report back how it went :), it will probably take few weeks as I was just told that I will have surgery in few days

I forgot to add, even though I don't have mould problem at the moment I would like to avoid it at all cost (even £500) as my past experience with mould in rented house was terrible
  • richardc1983
    Options
    the reason I came to this forum and asked the question was that I have done all the above mentioned (opening windows every morning, heating the house with gas boiler, buying the humidity meter, and so on) all this didn't solve the problem and that's why I was investigating the Drimaster, based on the answers here and reviews everywhere else it seems that this "fan" will do the job, so I have bitten the bullet and bought it today (including heater attached to the unit) once I will install it I will report back how it went :), it will probably take few weeks as I was just told that I will have surgery in few days

I forgot to add, even though I don't have mould problem at the moment I would like to avoid it at all cost (even £500) as my past experience with mould in rented house was terrible

Yes i chose the heat version as I thought at least I have the option if I want it. Don't forget to ask back here if u need any advice. Start off on speed 3 or 4 and increase/decrease as needed. It will take a week or so before it settles down but you should notice within a day the air feeling fresher.
  • smifffy1989
    Options
    Hello All,

We got a unheated Drimaster around October time to reduce the condensation and mould on the windows. I am relatively competent at DIY and installed it myself in a couple of hours.

I started it on setting 4 (3 bed semi) and it became apparent that this was too much! We are now on setting 2 and you the landing is slightly chiller but we literally have little to no condensation.

It must be installed on the landing in answer to the question.

In terms of the chill factor, yes it is noticeable but so would opening the window to clear the condensation.
    Start Feb 2013 £148,900
    Initial MFD Feb 2043 --- Target Feb 2035
    Current balance [STRIKE]Jan 2014 £146,652[/STRIKE], Nov 2014 £143,509

:beer:Current MFD Oct 2042 (5 Months Early) :beer:
    2013 OP: £255 / 2014 OP: £815
  • pd001
    pd001 Posts: 871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

£500.00?
    I assume that it the cost of the Drimaster together with the installation cost?
    Best wishes with regard to your surgery.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Install cost of drimaster from an electrician is approx £60-£80
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure