Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Hi I was rejected by 4 different suppliers so don't fancy adding any more negativity to my credit report, i am on BG cheapest tarrif but since having smart meter installed my bill jumped to £800 so another bill i have to deal with, i have checked if this is correct and they are adamant it is:eek::shocked:
    I will be straight one day!
  • SimbaSimon
    SimbaSimon Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Smooth switch from me. I was with First Utility who's prices have been rising steadily, not surprising given they are now owned by Shell group. My fixed term ended so I looked at Ovo as I don't trust some of the very small companies, and wanted a smaller, more ethical company then the big 6.

My previous smart meter has moved over without me having to call or do anything. Online account looks good and has all the necessary info like daily figures. All in, a very smooth transfer and a good first impression.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Alfiesmom wrote: »
    . . . i am on BG cheapest tarrif but since having smart meter installed my bill jumped to £800 so another bill i have to deal with, i have checked if this is correct and they are adamant it is. . .
    If the smart meter was installed during the winter months then it may be just coincidence that the bill is higher recently.

Now you have the smart meter try to use it to figure out when and where you are using your energy to try to control it.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    SimbaK2K wrote: »
    My previous smart meter has moved over without me having to call or do anything.

I am very surprised. I thought it was almost impossible to move supplier without older smart meters becoming dumb.

A bit of googling is in order unless someone can point me in the right direction.
  • We switched to Ovo via Cheap Energy Club last autumn, paying by monthly direct debit. Our new smart meter was installed in November.
    Since then, our payments have been taken monthly, with no additional comment from Ovo until today.
    Today we received an email out of the blue, saying that there was 'a delay creating a statement after your Smart Meter exchange' in November (ie just over 6 months ago) but that they now need additional payment of £170 asap!
    Following a conversation with one of their staff, we have increased the DDM, but I did mention that somewhere between last November and now, they should have sent at least an email to keep us informed!
    It was not just the shock of the additional amount, it was the tone of their letter I found particularly insulting.
  • Originally I was with EDF and I had no problems with them but for the fact that they raised their prices so I did a switch to Ovo.

I have regretted it ever since. I gave them my accurate meter readings but some faceless wonder decided to estimate my gas reading. I did complain so they then credited me with the difference.

I do not find their monthly accounts easy to understand. I have been paying over the odds ever since I joined them because on doing a comparison at the end of last year which was done on extra readings because I was washing and drying for other family members so it hiked my readings.

Since the beginning of the year my usage is back to normal and very low readings, but one month when I gave my readings as I was told should be given on the 14th of the month I found they had estimated me again.

I have already had one refund of £140 because living alone my usage is low and they said they would reduce my DD, however last week they said I should increase it. Beggars belief.

Now I'm looking to change.
  • kd99
    kd99 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've happily read my gas and electric meters monthly and sent figures off to OVO, and, tho' their database, annoyingly would do an 'estimate' a couple of days after my input, it didn't too much affect the numbers, so i let it ride. Their graphical interface (spreadsheet column style) started to get less and less accurate, but you could still review your numbers - and it was useful seeing month by month how much running the house was costing - especially when a new boiler was installed, one touch kettle, little things like that. Imagine my horror when all the history disappeared. No warning was given.. I emailed their customer services.. only to be told..

In reference to your account and your usage history, unfortunately, your My OVO online portal only shows the yearly usage since January 2019 onwards. This is due to the meter exchange to a Smart Meter; the information displays your actual usage. Whereas, previously this was reliant on us receiving your meter readings in order to determine your consumption history.

Looking into your account, I can see we did send your annual; consumption statement which displayed your usage for the full year. I have attached these within this email for you to view this information.

... now, I can see no reason why they can't retain or display my previous (some 18 months) history. As a customer, I am left in the dark as to my previous monthly usage - I do wonder if it's a symptom of the review of their practices being run... and ollie north is busy shedding in the background!
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kd99 wrote: »
    ... now, I can see no reason why they can't retain or display my previous (some 18 months) history. As a customer, I am left in the dark as to my previous monthly usage - I do wonder if it's a symptom of the review of their practices being run... and ollie north is busy shedding in the background!
    My usage display graph never represented my actual usage and they advised me I should use the monthly statements for that information. Whilst the usage data is not in graphical form, you are not actually in the dark.

It is likely they are now relying entirely on data stored by the "smart" meter and that data will only have started when the meter was installed. They were never interested in installing smart meters and it seems they are making life as difficult as possible for those who have them.

For what it's worth, I'm glad I left them.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • [FONT=&quot]I’ve been with OVO for 2 years and had no problems until my fixed rate ended.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I couldn't find anything cheaper than the tariff OVO had been supplying me with so I took my fist leap away from the Big 6 (to Igloo) via the MSE Club (as usual) just to get the best deal I could.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No smart meter to contend with so just a straight-forward change of supplier.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Everything seemed to be going OK; Igloo to start being my energy supplier 17/09/19, meter readings to both OVO and Igloo around that time were submitted and the first direct debit taken by Igloo shortly after..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I checked my OVO account and the final energy usage to 16/09/19 was billed, leaving my account £156 in credit. On 26/09 I cancelled my direct debit to OVO.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On Friday last week (27/09) I received an email from OVO welcoming me to my new OVO electricity account (!). I phoned OVO who, I have to say, seemed puzzled about why I had this email (“Maybe we switched you instead of a neighbour” was one excuse) and suggested that I contact Igloo to let them know I wasn’t leaving them. The person I spoke to confirmed I was in credit and started the refund process.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As I was at work, I didn’t have time to phone Igloo but sent them an email (no reply yet).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On Saturday 28/09 I received another email from OVO telling me to restart my direct debit so they can collect my usual monthly payment (the gas and electricity amount) and threatening to pass my account to their “Collections Team”. Being Saturday, they are shut so I’m afraid that someone is coming into an angry email from me on Monday morning.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’ve switched supplier lots of times without trouble so why is this so hard now? Actually, when I think about it, I did have trouble once – when I switched from OVO years ago. I won’t ever be in that situation again…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Phil[/FONT]
  • I was an OVO customer from 2015. They were absolutely fantastic during the initial switch and throughout the period I was with them. I loved the interest paid on credit balances so I doubled my monthly payments and used the account to make more interest than I could get from any bank. At one time I was about £5000 in credit which would have breached their T's & C's but they never raised any issue.
    I also loved the fact that you could telephone and speak to a friendly human being. In August 2018 OVO installed my Smart meter and I loved that as well.
    Unfortunately, in November 2018 I was tempted away by EDF in the belief I could save a few pounds on my utilities. BIG MISTAKE!
    First. My Smart meter was too smart for EDF to read it automatically and they would not fit a replacement within 12 months. I therefore had to manually read my meters.
    Second. EDF could not tell me which of the readings I needed to give them from the numerous digits scrolling across the meter. Was RO1 or RO2 day electric or night electric?
    Third. Having got a monthly bill of over £1000 and EDF increased my DD from £140 to £256 without telling me, I contacted them and after sending several videos of the meter readings, nothing has happened.
    Fourth. EDF say that they cannot accept my correct meter readings because they are so much lower than the readings on my records!

I don't care if OVO is not the cheapest energy supplier. I will be going back to OVO in the next few weeks. I am more than happy to pay them more if they can continue providing the previous excellent service. It's worth it!
    Unfortunately
    CAUTION: Grumpy Old Man In Training.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport