SORN status?????

ohreally
ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
I transferred the insurance from a 4x4 that I didn't require to be on the road, approx. May 17 (MOT valid Nov and Tax till Dec). I disposed of a car Oct 17 and transferred the insurance policy to the 4x4 and MOT'd it last week.

On checking Gov site the 4x4 is showing as SORN (due to tax by the look of things) but the tax is valid until 12/17.

Why is it shown as SORN when all tax, mot and insurance is valid and in date?

Am I required to inform of anything?
Don’t be a can’t, be a can.

Comments

• Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    I transferred the insurance from a 4x4 that I didn't require to be on the road, approx. May 17 (MOT valid Nov and Tax till Dec). I disposed of a car Oct 17 and transferred the insurance policy to the 4x4 and MOT'd it last week.

On checking Gov site the 4x4 is showing as SORN (due to tax by the look of things) but the tax is valid until 12/17.

Am I required to inform of anything?

Can we clarify that in May this year you "transferred" (thus cancelling cover) your insurance from a 4x4 to another car? If so, did you declare the 4x4 as SORNd?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes........
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    When you declared SORN any remaining tax would have been refunded to the RK.

You need to re-tax the car.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can't even think how that would be displayed on the vehicle enquiry site. When it shows it's SORNed, you just get a green block with SORN and a tick. No date. Further down, it says "Vehicle status: SORN in place".

Screenshot? PM the reg?

You are checking on... https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ ...right?

SORN/Tax is a simple three-way choice.
    It's taxed - or - It's SORNed - or - It's unlicenced.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Check pm...
  • AdrianC
    edited 7 December 2017 at 10:03AM
    The OP's PMd me the reg - and it checks out perfectly normally. SORNed (no date shown), MOT expires Nov 18.

I can only think that it was a different site being checked...

OP - I can't reply by PM, as your storage is full...
    Silver 1.8 petrol Mitsubishi?

On the official gov't site, I'm not seeing anything but "SORN", no date, and the MOT expires on 24/Nov/18... having been tested on 25/Nov/17 at 110k miles, no advisories (from the official MOT history site).

Exactly what you'd expect to see...

What site did you check on?
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »

What site did you check on?

The gov vehicle enquiries site.

I’m on the road today so may need to catchup as sndvwhen.

Thanks.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Any thoughts on why Sorn is showing then?
  • AdrianC
    Any thoughts on why Sorn is showing then?

Because, from what you've said, that's correct.

You must have SORNed it when it wasn't insured - because you would have had a continuous insurance penalty through by now otherwise. Taxed cars must be insured - that's been legally in place since 2011.
    You MOTd and insured it over the last few weeks... but you don't mention re-taxing it.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The tax was never cancelled and all summer the tax status showed tax until 31/12/17.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport