Nuaire Drimaster location

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The warmer it gets I turn the speed up so more fresh air into the house!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • joshly
    joshly Posts: 150 Forumite
    For the end of January and all of February I had it on speed setting 2 and had no condensation on the windows, humidity was around 55-60% which is my goal. I have a small detached 2 bed bungalow.

I have raised the speed setting to 3 as I have noticed the humidity level rising over the last 10 days and now it is 68% and rising, outside temperature 14 degrees. Still no condensation but even before installing the PIV condensation stopped around Spring.

Before I had the PIV in the summer I used to get white mould growing on my furniture, I don't know if the fresh air circulating will prevent that despite the humidity level or if I need to somehow reduce the humidity to under 60%.

I am assuming the more humid air coming into the loft via the soffit vents is being pumped into the bungalow raising inside humidity.
  • richardc1983
    The key is fresh air. As long as the air is being replaced and diluted you won't get damp on items or walls. 68% isn't bad at all. As long as it's fresh air you will be fine keep the air moving like you are.
  • Hi,
    I had a flat a while a go which I installed a Flatmaster in, and I was very impressed with the results. So I need no convincing as to how effective these systems are. The problem is how to install a system in my new place.

I have a chalet bungalow with two bedrooms upstairs, and two down. Because of the construction of the loft conversion we don't really have a loft, just a small void above the upstairs bedrooms which we can't gain access to. We do have "eves" to the sides of the upstairs bedrooms which aren't insulated so have similar properties to a conventional loft space.

The upstairs doesn't seem to suffer with condensation, but the downstairs bedrooms do.

Based on all this info I am unsure as to how to go about the installation. My intention is to install a standard loft space drimaster in the eves, but have it venting into the downstairs hallway...? I know this goes against Nuaire's instructions, but i can't install it upstairs and my condensation issues are downstairs anyway.

What do people think? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
  • I moved away from the drimaster as wanted fresh cooler air in the spring and summer to be pumped into the house, I went for one of these:

https://www.systemair.com/en-GB/UK/Products/fans--accessories/circular-duct-fans/ec-circular-duct-fans/k-ec/k-200-ec-sileo/

They are very powerful EC motor fans designed for ventilation, this thing moves a huge ammount of air and is fully adjustable down to a trickle. I run it on a timer plug and it has a built in fan speed controller, the advantage is that it pulls air from the outside as I have it ducted through the wall, or you can just have it ducted into the loft if you want. I have inline a filter before the fan to clean the air like the drimaster -

https://www.systemair.com/en-GB/UK/Products/fans--accessories/accessories-ventilation/filter-cassettes/fgr/fgr-200-filter-cassette-g3/ - you can buy a G4 filter instead to match the drimaster.

If you want to go a step further you could install a bag filter box instead which gives you G7 filtration quality - the drimaster is G4

This is at a fraction of the cost of the drimaster and does the same thing and you have the benefit of summer cooling.
    Hi,
    I had a flat a while a go which I installed a Flatmaster in, and I was very impressed with the results. So I need no convincing as to how effective these systems are. The problem is how to install a system in my new place.

I have a chalet bungalow with two bedrooms upstairs, and two down. Because of the construction of the loft conversion we don't really have a loft, just a small void above the upstairs bedrooms which we can't gain access to. We do have "eves" to the sides of the upstairs bedrooms which aren't insulated so have similar properties to a conventional loft space.

The upstairs doesn't seem to suffer with condensation, but the downstairs bedrooms do.

Based on all this info I am unsure as to how to go about the installation. My intention is to install a standard loft space drimaster in the eves, but have it venting into the downstairs hallway...? I know this goes against Nuaire's instructions, but i can't install it upstairs and my condensation issues are downstairs anyway.

What do people think? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
  • Thank you for your reply.
    It looks potentially an interesting alternative. I especially like the idea of the cold air in summer.
    Could you give any idea of what mounting/pipework/vents you used?

Cheers
  • Thank you for your reply.
    It looks potentially an interesting alternative. I especially like the idea of the cold air in summer.
    Could you give any idea of what mounting/pipework/vents you used?

Cheers

Heres what I used below, shop about on ebay for the parts although the company below is cheap and I do not work for them so shop around on ebay for comparisons etc. The fan is approx £160. You have to remember that whilst the drimaster is an excellent product its marketed specifically for a certain thing but it is just a fan and a filter and a temperature control for summer so that it turns off but then you end up with no ventilation unless you have doors windows open, letting in the dust and pollen.

Flexi Duct: https://www.systemair.com/en-GB/UK/Products/other-products-ventilation/other-products/flexible-ducts-and-details/flex-ducts/semiduct---200mm-x-3-metre/

Supply Grill for inside the house: https://www.systemair.com/en-GB/UK/Products/air-distribution-products/air-valves/supply-metal-valves/tff/TFF-200-Suppl-Valve-RAL9016/

Grill for air intake through the wall to the outside: https://www.systemair.com/en-GB/UK/Products/air-distribution-products/external-louvres/supply--return-louvres/igc/igc-200-intake-grille/

Taped together with - https://www.tradefixdirect.com/tapes/clothgaffa-tape-silver-1?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgNrQBRC0ARIsAE-m-1wZexmEXOHpNY3BBRXnEHB2otc1pCylP96Tfqu7JPSW3Bg7D7vuR1UaAqzPEALw_wcB
  • Janeyfs
    Janeyfs Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's been a while since the last post but I've read the thread with great interest. We've bought a 150sq m victorian house with a further 70sq m cellar. It hasn't been lived in for a while and is suffering badly from damp with mould on all outside walls and some ceilings and in the cellar. Some joists are so wet they've gone rotten and need replacing. The surveyor said heating and ventilation and ventilation and more ventilation is the key! So thinking about a system that could help us. Other future issue is that we may want to convert the loft leaving a very small space above the loft rooms and very small spaces at the eaves. We like the idea of the air being a little warmer than the outside air temperature in the winter months so thinking about having the 'heating' element to take the chill off... but like the idea of cooler air in the summer that you could get from an outside air source; suppose you can't have both with one system!? Also the cellar is accessed from the outside rather than from inside the house so thinking we would need a separate unit to help with the damp down there? Any advice, ideas, solutions or comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
  • richardc1983
    Drimaster heat model will do the job but uses the loft air but has built in heater, if your wanting to use outside cooler air in summer you'll need the Drimaster 365 of Noxmaster which is ducted to the outside. These two models don't include a heating element but it's fairly cheap to buy and install at the same time an in-line duct heater. You can either buy an electric element version which is cheaper or do what I did and buy a hydronic water coil which plumbs into your central heating system so when your heating is on warm air blows out the vent.

I no longer have the Drimaster I went even bigger as filtration was key for me as my house doesn't have a damp problem. I bought an in-line filter box which contains a pre filter and bag filter to F9 standard, inline EC Duct fan 200mm size and the hydronic coil. It's all ducted to the outside and I have a simple speed controller mounted inside my walk in wardrobe that I can regulate it on. Prob cost me £500 for all the bits whereas the Drimaster is an all in one kit.
  • Janeyfs
    Janeyfs Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thankyou, your set up sounds interesting as I am also concerned with indoor air quality and, in this house, the thought of mold spores amongst other things, is a worry at present. In terms of running costs do you find it more cost effective than the nuaire because you're not using an electric heater, and presumably the air is also warmed more effectively or does the more powerful fan make it more expensive to run? Is your system in the loft but ducted to the outside?
    TIA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport