Lottery Win - where would you bank it all?

Options
I havent won the lottery, but if our syndicate did win, say £2m each, where do you put such a large sum of money?

Given each financial institution will only guarantee upto I think 85k under FSA protection, how do you keep it all safe?

Do you have to accept the element of risk inherrent, spread it around all the financial institutions, then into stocks/shares etc?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Win it 1st and then stress about it, at that figure you will get financial advice from camelot, indeed I guess a lot of people have wondered similar....me?
    Whatever I won I would intend to somehow spend it all eventually rather than stress out about keeping it, depending on your age that figure isn't as much as you may think.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    NS&I direct saver or income bonds will have protection for the full amount (max £2 million I believe)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    beaker141 wrote: »
    I havent won the lottery, but if our syndicate did win, say £2m each, where do you put such a large sum of money?

Given each financial institution will only guarantee upto I think 85k under FSA protection, how do you keep it all safe?
    How boring! Winning the lottery is meant to be a life-changing experience, so throw caution to the wind and live a bit.... :)

Yes, of course we mostly preach financial prudence on this site, and rightly so, but if your primary consideration, even before winning the lottery, is putting it all in savings accounts then I'd humbly suggest that your bucket list needs some work!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Win it 1st and then stress about it, at that figure you will get financial advice from camelot

You only get help from Camelot if you agree to all their publicity.

I've heard lottery winners say that they put a lot of pressure on winners to accept the publicity and advisers.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    You only get help from Camelot if you agree to all their publicity.

I've heard lottery winners say that they put a lot of pressure on winners to accept the publicity and advisers.

I hear the same, as I understand it, above a figure you get FA for at least a few months, if you go public the FA remains, however I haven't won the figures to worry about it just yet and definately wouldn't go public or pack up working.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    I hear the same, as I understand it, above a figure you get FA for at least a few months, if you go public the FA remains, however I haven't won the figures to worry about it just yet and definately wouldn't go public or pack up working.

The winners I heard interviewed said it was more stark than that - they were told they could walk out with a cheque for millions and have to learn how to manage it without any support or agree to the publicity and get loads of advice and plenty of personal support.

It was all done in the few days after winning when their heads were spinning anyway and they were made to feel that they wouldn't be able to manage, that they'd get ripped off, that the papers would find out anyway, etc. The pressure to sign up to the Camelot machine was very strong.
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    How boring! Winning the lottery is meant to be a life-changing experience, so throw caution to the wind and live a bit.... :)

Yes, of course we mostly preach financial prudence on this site, and rightly so, but if your primary consideration, even before winning the lottery, is putting it all in savings accounts then I'd humbly suggest that your bucket list needs some work!

Oh dont worry - the plans for spending it are discussed frequently - but the day our syndicate of 7 wins the euro millions I'm curious to know where to put it!

Alternatively - high net worth individuals, companies with cash available - where do you keep millions.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Nice house, car and holiday.

£200k in NS&I products.

A series of medium risk investments in pensions, ISA and outside tax wrappers, 4% income on £1m. The rest for growth.

(Makes numerous assumptions about age, attitude to risk, size of house, future earned income and shouldn't be taken as advice).
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beaker141 wrote: »

Do you have to accept the element of risk inherrent, spread it around all the financial institutions, then into stocks/shares etc?

Well firstly the Food Standards Agency offer no guarantee for money in your bank, so if you did win you might need to take their offer of financial advice :rotfl:

But i wouldn't worry about keeping it in the bank; it wouldn't take me long to get what i wanted into decent investments when i started to think about all the interest i was missing out on by it sitting in the bank!.

You would have to be pretty unlucky to loose any of it due to a bank collapsing.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »

I've often wondered the same as the OP though. But say you do live life on a bucket list and spend £1m, you've still got another £1m left over. Where would you put that?

Myself personally would want to live but I can also imagine it would get boring really easily. Nice house, nice car, travel the world for a bit but what do you do with the left over money? :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure