PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Closing date in Scotland- before I put offer in

Hi, been given the closing date of a property I am interested in, as this Friday. A couple of questions before I do so, as a First Time Buyer this is new to me..

A work colleague advised not to submit round number as my offer, is it worth doing this. Price I have is £105k, he suggested something like 105235.

For the date of entry, as I am currently renting I am flexible, can this be included with the offer, or do they always need a specific date? In flexible I mean I don't mind staying longer in my rented accom if seller needs to wait (just need to give 1 month notice to landlord but I'm fine if they cross over)

Would it be to my advantage at all not to request any movable items to be included, in reality I would replace the basics myself . I was advised to submit as 'clean' offer as possible which I assumed related to this.

I guess I am just trying to play the game to stand as good a chance of securing the property, so any advice at this point welcome!

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I agree with not presenting on a round number, but as to the other things,is your solicitor not guiding you?
  • sultanabran
    sultanabran Posts: 172 Forumite
    You need to sell yourself to the seller in a sense. First time buyer, flexible on move in date, etc Just state anything about your position that puts you in a good light.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Agree with comeandgo that you should be guided by your solicitor, who should know the local market far better than you ever could (my own solicitor always advised me to make a non-round number offer).
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    You need to include a date of entry so that the vendor can make a conditional acceptance but you can make it clear through your solicitor that it's negotiatable.

Some sellers will want to include moveables as they may be getting new where they're going and don't want the hassle of clearing out the old. Apart from old (CRT) tellies almost everthing can be got rid of on Gumtree if they leave stuff you won't want. Be guided by the property particulars.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • rentmekid
    rentmekid Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    HI OP,

Do you guys work in a office?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    eeetee wrote: »
    A work colleague advised not to submit round number as my offer, is it worth doing this. Price I have is £105k, he suggested something like 105235.
    Sounds like they're getting confused with online auctions, where price is the only buying factor that matters. No vendor is going to base their acceptance of an offer on a couple of hundred quid difference - other factors will be looked at.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If it is going to a closing date that indicates there is a lot of interest in the property.

We have always been advised to make a non round number offer as most people use even amounts. Sellers usually go for the highest offer unless there are specific circumstances required. We discuss any preferred entry date when we view.

Entry date can be given as " xxx or to be mutually agreed." but your solicitor should advise you.

If moveable items were not included in the sales particulars then I would not ask for them. If the seller wanted to leave them they would have been included in the schedule information.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sounds like they're getting confused with online auctions, where price is the only buying factor that matters. No vendor is going to base their acceptance of an offer on a couple of hundred quid difference - other factors will be looked at.
    No, it is fairly routine advice for closing dates. Obviously there may be other factors, but if those appear roughly equal then the higher price is likely to be successful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure