PayPal scam warning

PayPal after 4 months of silence from a buyer have paid out £1,600 to the buyer who said he didn't receive the item. 4 months not a peep then a claim that the item hadn't been received and PayPal pay out £1600 of the sellers money. After that length of time there's a good chance the postal receipt has been binned. This is the scam and PayPal fall for it. It's so disappointing that an honest client is treated this way by PayPal who say after careful investigation they have decided in favour of the Chinese scam. Apparently PayPal accept a non receipt claim up until 6 months of the original sale and their investigation no postal receipt pay out. Outrageous

Comments

• i always keep my receipts for at least two years to hopefully avoid this
    did you purchase the shipping through ebay as there might be some record of it there?
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Angrydanny wrote: »
    It's so disappointing that an honest client is treated this way by PayPal who say after careful investigation they have decided in favour of the Chinese scam.
    I do not often hear "Chinese scam" as buyer. Did you actually send a £1600 item to China? How do you prove it was delivered?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PayPal after 4 months of silence from a buyer have paid out £1,600 to the buyer who said he didn't receive the item. 4 months not a peep then a claim that the item hadn't been received and PayPal pay out £1600 of the sellers money. After that length of time there's a good chance the postal receipt has been binned. This is the scam and PayPal fall for it. It's so disappointing that an honest client is treated this way by PayPal who say after careful investigation they have decided in favour of the Chinese scam. Apparently PayPal accept a non receipt claim up until 6 months of the original sale and their investigation no postal receipt pay out. Outrageous

Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3146680

It explains all the requirements for protection against paypal claims.

I realise it is probably too late, but in case you do come back and re post and you are in time, then you can appeal as long as you can show online tracking to the address given on paypal then if you are quick paypal *may* just consider an appeal.

This is a hard scam now for buyers due to the fact that paypal are clear about the requirements. The easiest way to protect yourself long term is to add the tracking when you post the item , then if a claim is opened you have the tracking to hand. As above though always keep POPs for at least 180 days in case of a claim for fraudulent use of card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • No, I used ebays shipping programme that same month which didn't end well. So I removed it for this sale. Thanks for the interesting answer.
  • Thank you for that, unfortunately I didn't use ebays tracking facility as I used next day guarantee post. I'm afraid everything the scammes hoped for happened with this transaction. Ebays and PayPal's protection umberellas look good until it starts raining.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, I used ebays shipping programme that same month which didn't end well. So I removed it for this sale. Thanks for the interesting answer.

I'm not entirely sure I follow this? However, if you mean you bought postage via a PO or courier and not ebay then it doesn't matter, you were still covered with a tracking number. Do read the 1st bit of the thread I posted, it explains it all.
    Thank you for that, unfortunately I didn't use ebays tracking facility as I used next day guarantee post. I'm afraid everything the scammes hoped for happened with this transaction. Ebays and PayPal's protection umberellas look good until it starts raining.

The seller protection is quite clear and when selling, specially high value items, it does pay to read your requirements. If you sent this tracked then you had a tracking number, and that was all you needed to prevent an INR claim, it is irrelevant where you bought your postage.

Some of us on here have been selling for years and I suspect most of us have had to use seller protection on both ebay and paypal on more than one occasion. I have never lost an INR where I had a tracking number, nor have I ever lost a claim for fraudulent use of a card claim merely with proof of posting.

However, if China was involved then I don't understand the bit about the Guaranteed next day delivery as I wasn't aware that such a service existed from UK to China?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This all a bit confusing. Did you send it to China? You can't do guaranteed next day from UK to China. Where are you based? What shipping company did you use?
  • No, the item was sent to London at the buyers request. It was delivered, there is no doubt even my postmaster remembers the item as he asked the value for insurance. Unfortunately the postal records only go back one month without a receipt number. I would have thought PayPal would have asked the postmaster and taken his word over the Chinese buyer/scammer after 4 months. I'm of the considered opinion that PayPal although a large global organisation do not have a security team which is fit for purpose or indeed conduct any serious investigations.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So you used next day special delivery which comes with a tracking number. It could have been easily avoided if you'd kept that tracking number.

How do you know it was even delivered if you didn't check the tracking number? Why should PayPal take your word for it?
  • Yes, I understand your confusion, to be clear the item was sent to London at the buyers request
    Then nothing for 4 months, postal receipt recently destroyed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure