Bank loan for Property repairs and Overdraft repayment?

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forget about consolidating the overdraft into a loan, the overdraft will be cheaper.

Focus on figuring out how to pay for the £2k in repairs. I'd probably look at getting any job I can in the short term if you've got so much down time. Bar/admin agency work, call centres, that sort of thing. If you're doing a lot of gigs hopefully you know some people who run pubs that could put a few shifts your way.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Get the repairs done and then sell the property which will give you the money to clear your overdraft. You cannot afford to be a landlord.
  • konn1ch1ha
    konn1ch1ha Posts: 237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Get the repairs done and then sell the property which will give you the money to clear your overdraft. You cannot afford to be a landlord.

I think this would be a very unwise move. The rental income helps pay my rent, not to mention the amount it's gaining in equity/capital as it stands.

The flat itself hardly costs me any money and is a good asset, it's only this financial hurdle I need to get over. Everything else is minor.
  • konn1ch1ha
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Forget about consolidating the overdraft into a loan, the overdraft will be cheaper.

Focus on figuring out how to pay for the £2k in repairs. I'd probably look at getting any job I can in the short term if you've got so much down time. Bar/admin agency work, call centres, that sort of thing. If you're doing a lot of gigs hopefully you know some people who run pubs that could put a few shifts your way.

True, but my logic is to eliminate the overdraft rather than paying each month just to be in it. Whereas, if I'm paying off a loan that I've borrowed, at least it's going towards something and paying it off?

Paying for the od interest isn't getting me anywhere and just indefinitely keeping me there.
  • konn1ch1ha

At the same time, paying off a bank loan for any more than three years I think is a bit ludicrous...
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    konn1ch1ha wrote: »
    I think this would be a very unwise move. The rental income helps pay my rent, not to mention the amount it's gaining in equity/capital as it stands.

The flat itself hardly costs me any money and is a good asset, it's only this financial hurdle I need to get over. Everything else is minor.

Its a long finamcial hurdle.

If nothing has been sorted in the last 4 months why not sell the property or get them done then sell as been mentioned.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

The flat has hardly cost you anything so far yet you don't earn enough from it to pay a simple £2k bill that you've known about for ages. God help your tenant if the heating goes or something else needs repaired in the property.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 2:33PM
    True, but my logic is to eliminate the overdraft rather than paying each month just to be in it. Whereas, if I'm paying off a loan that I've borrowed, at least it's going towards something and paying it off?

Paying for the od interest isn't getting me anywhere and just indefinitely keeping me there.

But if you transfer the debt to a loan you be paying more interest.

I can understand if you want it to be paid back on a repayment basis because you have no willpower to clear an overdraft, but from a financial standpoint it's stupid.

Pay down the overdraft, then get rid of it and move onto trying to put aside some savings before you need to do something else to the flat.

Borrow what you need to get the repair done, then bring your salary up and your costs down, until you're stable. Even if that means moving somewhere cheaper and taking a shelf stacking job in Tesco.
  • konn1ch1ha
    But if you transfer the debt to a loan you be paying more interest.

I can understand if you want it to be paid back on a repayment basis because you have no willpower to clear an overdraft, but from a financial standpoint it's stupid.

Pay down the overdraft, then get rid of it and move onto trying to put aside some savings before you need to do something else to the flat.

Borrow what you need to get the repair done, then bring your salary up and your costs down, until you're stable. Even if that means moving somewhere cheaper and taking a shelf stacking job in Tesco.

This the best and most constructive answer out of all of the threads.

Thanks.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    This the best and most constructive answer out of all of the threads.

Thanks.

I thought this post below pretty much said the same thing, only 4 months earlier, but perhaps only now you are willing to listen?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72051684&postcount=37

So given that you agree with the advice, are you going to give up your musical hobby / living in London?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure