PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did something wrong and paid the price.

I fancied a nibble last night and went to the kitchen to toast a muffin - but between here and there I changed my mind and thought "toast" - but then I saw the scones in the freezer and got out two pieces of bread and two scones. Cooked/ate both ... and then realised I'd eaten too much and so had not enjoyed both.

Then, as I'd over-eaten I fell asleep...and only just woke up :(

Sleep and toast are never a bad thing PN :D...personally I can't get enough of either!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am making a mutton casserole today, planning in advance and also making a few ready meals from it. Got all the ingredients in thankfully and adding wine etc will take three hours to gently cook. I haven`t made any ready meals for ages and do miss them for those cba days. I just have to get the berry mix out of the freezer to defrost, add a few nuts and seeds and that is my third meal done. Got to plan in advance or I`ll grab anything, hence me not having crisps and biscuits in
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Egg/soldiers for breakfast. So quick/tasty, but after today I've probably had that enough times this week ... nice though, so not a chore to eat it.
  • Warning alert of food that is just too "grabbable" - as I've discovered that I can manage to eat chocolate straight out of the freezer.

Hence these days I find that if I feel I simply "must" have some chocolate - then I'll just buy one of those tiny 1/2 mouthfuls size luxury choccies from the health food store (Booja Booja ??) and thats that. I'd never have the self-discipline some people do - and ration myself to two squares a day.:rotfl:.

I know my weaknesses and with some things it's a case of "If it's there - then I'll have it and keep on having it until it's gone".:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:38PM
    I'll just buy one of those tiny 1/2 mouthfuls size luxury choccies from the health food store (Booja Booja ??) and thats that.

It's a different world!
    :)

My choc-scoff is the 30p bars at L1dl/A1d1.
    :)

It'll take 2-3 days if I hide it.

Else, I buy 250 gram bags of "chocolates seconds" at poundland. They're my favourite, I think they're disguised Cadburys. So they are a big treat really.... I ration myself for buying the bags, then 2-3 days max is how long they last once open.

I looked up BB who I've never heard of. 2 truffles £1.19. Blimey.
    I'd rather go without!
    http://www.boojabooja.com/chocolate-truffles/collections/two-truffles-packs/
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 1:38PM
    :rotfl:They are gorgeous imo Pastures...and a rare treat (ie I've maybe bought them twice this year to date??).

Meanwhile - back at the ranch and I've just been mending a jumper (which I think was probably a pass-on from my mother in the first place) to make it last a bit longer and googling as to whether I need to dryclean a coat I bought yesterday from a charity shop (as they tell me they "steam clean" all donations - but I don't know if that's as good as drycleaning iyswim).

Healthy food is a huge priority to me - as I'm so aware of the health problems so many people have and determined to avoid any I possibly can. When you know your normal mood is permanently slightly depressed - you aint gonna to add to it with the extra "downer" poor health would give if you can possibly help it....
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    :rotfl:They are gorgeous imo Pastures...and a rare treat (ie I've maybe bought them twice this year to date??).

Meanwhile - back at the ranch and I've just been mending a jumper (which I think was probably a pass-on from my mother in the first place) to make it last a bit longer and googling as to whether I need to dryclean a coat I bought yesterday from a charity shop (as they tell me they "steam clean" all donations - but I don't know if that's as good as drycleaning iyswim).
    Steam cleaning probably just means passing a vertical iron over it so that the creases drop out.
    I either wash my dry clean only articles in the machine on a wool/delicates wash, with Stardrops, or use those dry cleaning sheets in the tumble dryer.

Yesterday was a 69p macaroni cheese with bacon ready meal from Heron, as I went shopping. It was lovely- unlike at least 50% of ready meals I try.

A new pizza shop opened in my town, part of a national chain. They were offering 7" pizzas for a quid, two toppings, and the queue was out of the door at both 4.45 and 7 pm. I can do a 9" pizza with five toppings for a quid...
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 2:10PM
    Thanks for that mcCulloch - as I'm still tossing up re whether "steam cleaning" isnt as good v. chemicals are used for drycleaning.

Sounds like I'd better add to the cost of that charity shop coat and have it drycleaned then....

EDIT; That's about £15 extra then - minus maybe 20% for this cheaper area I now live in. Total cost of coat = £13 + £12? = £25 then....
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    katkin wrote: »
    As an honoury ex single I reckon it's fine to pass by and maybe troll you all a little ;)
    They haven't kicked me out yet - and I'm an honorary ex-single like you. :o
    katkin wrote: »
    Do you not think some of us are blessed with being extra hungry and having a different "full up" indicator? I'm positive it's something in the brain not the stomach because I've been given medicines before that turned me into a complete hunger monster, craving sugar and carbs more than I usually do. The minute I stopped them, it reduced.
    You're right; prednisolone had me eating anything that wasn't nailed down, whereas my "default" position is making myself eat at least something because it's necessary to do so to continue breathing!
    And gabapentin put 5lb on me in 2 weeks even though I barely ate.:eek:
    I filled up on rice cakes (couldn't be bothered to do onigiri - time factor)
    I had to Google onigiri - looks really nice, but OMG what a lot of faffing about! :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • PasturesNew
    Lunch was a quick/tiny little marmalade pudding and some custard :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure