Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!!

Comments

• ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,106
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The OP suggested that the appropriate response to someone's small and trivial error, which caused a fleeting inconvenience, was that they be "hammered" until they cough up monetary compensation.

Nice.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ChesterDog wrote: »
    I would like to ask why the OP feels the need to use

SO MANY EXAMPLES OF MULTIPLE PUNCTUATION MARKS??????!!!!!!!

Terry pratchett?
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,872
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 11:22PM
    The OP suggested that the appropriate response to someone's small and trivial error, which caused a fleeting inconvenience, was that they be "hammered" until they cough up monetary compensation.

Nice.
    It's a figure of speech...
    I would like to ask why the OP feels the need to use

SO MANY EXAMPLES OF MULTIPLE PUNCTUATION MARKS??????!!!!!!!

Whilst this is just micky taking.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    soulsaver wrote: »

Nice.
    It's a figure of speech...
    Yes, the phrase hammered was a figure of speech drawn from the meaning to hammer or beat something; inculcate something forcefully or repeatedly; attack or criticize forcefully and relentlessly; utterly defeat in a contest.

No forceful or relentless actions to beat the bank into submission seem necessary here. Receiving a duplicate email late at night on a weekend is not something that requires major effort on behalf of a customer to forgive, nor cash compensation - even though the bank dispensed some immediately and were apologetic and courteous.
    Whilst this is childish micky taking.
    The fun of an open forum. We're not getting paid to participate ; being entertained is what keeps people stimulated in between dispensing a myriad of extremely valuable advice on a multitude of other threads, for free.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,106
    Forumite
    It wasn't just micky taking.

I find it very rude when somebody metaphorically or actually shouts at me and tries to ram home their point at me.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    I receive emails from multiple banks all the time because I have opted into paperless communication. Quite often those emails just tell me I have a new message and must log in to read it. Once there it is occasionally a change in T&C (relevant) or a change to interest rates for an account I don't have (irrelevant) but mostly it is a summary of interest (like I don't know exactly how much interest I've received, doesn't everyone have a spreadsheet which tracks it monthly?;))

I never realised I might have a claim for a four figure sum as compensation for the inconvenience of all these email messages I have received that were unnecessary (£50 x 50-60 messages at least, I could be rich!). I mean the amount of time taken to read them all and log in to my bank each time taken cumulativley, I could have enjoyed making and drinking a cup of tea. As for the stress of it, I blame this for me being overweight due to comfort eating and it has turned my hair grey, so the damage they have caused me is extreme and I need to be compensated.

I shall ring up and demand they put their interest rates back up for me as a special case. #firstworldproblems
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    jeallen01 wrote: »

I'm fairly certain the messages were genuine because that was effectively confirmed by the guy I spoke to this morning .

But if they were automated messages then he would have no direct knowledge of them, so wouldn't be able to confirm or deny that "your" messages were genuine or not. All he could do would be to say "Yes, we do send out automated messages, and yours are probably ours"

An irritating feature of Lloyds, and probably all banks etc, is that they have no central record of messages and phone calls, so if you phone up their security number asking about a message you have just received, they cannot trace it even if it is theirs.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    Forumite
    The OP is entirely in the right. Sending repeated messages every 20 minutes designed to make people afraid that they're being defrauded or something else has gone wrong with their bank account, in order to make them open some spam flogging a poor value financial product, is unacceptable behaviour.

If we didn't have people like the OP who slightly overreact when something like this happens and phone the bank up to complain, we'd all have to deal with this kind of crap constantly. And then we wouldn't have time to make fun of random people and cast aspersions on their sex lives on the Internet.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 11:11AM
    Malthusian wrote: »
    The OP is entirely in the right. Sending repeated messages every 20 minutes designed to make people afraid that they're being defrauded or something else has gone wrong with their bank account, in order to make them open some spam flogging a poor value financial product, is unacceptable
    I do agree with your second sentence there.

Sending repeated messages designed to make people defrauded or that something has gone wrong, is sharp practice.

What actually happened was that the OP received an email such as

Email body
    There's a new message in your Internet Banking Inbox. Messages contain information about your account, so it's important to view them. [etc]

Subject: Important information about your interest rates
    Date: 10 MARCH 2017
    Account: Easy Saver

Please note: this message is important and needs your immediate attention. Please log into Internet Banking straightaway to view it."

Even if the OP received that message twice, or similar multiple messages because of having multiple accounts - that sort of message with a subject line and message body indicating there is a secure message containing time sensitive information about interest rates on a regular saver account does not constitute the 'sharp practice' of "sending repeated messages every 20 minutes designed to make people afraid that they're being defrauded or something else has gone wrong"

I didn't see the original email, just going off what the OP quoted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure