New/Nearly New - what else can we look at?

NBLondon
NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
This is not entirely moneysaving - as bangernomics is not being considered - but somebody here may have an idea...

My wife is intending to replace her 1999 MGF. Wants something which is a) exciting to drive at weekends when she gets the chance b) not so hardcore that it's uncomfortable to drive on a daily basis, across London in rush hour and over plenty of speed humps c) Not so blingy or showy that it will attract keys. d) Not a cross-over or plastic-filled hot hatch. Convertible is desirable but not essential. Budget up to £25K for the ideal solution.

First question is new vs a few years old to beat the depreciation? This is a car that may only be kept for 3 or 4 years then swapped for something more sensible.

Secondly - what have we not thought of? We drove the new MX5 RF last weekend and she liked it. Also looked at the previous MKIII with folding hardtop and the MkIV looked and felt a lot better.

I'm saying also try the Fiat 124 Spider - which should be a similar drive but have better running costs from the Fiat engine vs the Mazda 2.0. She says she doesn't like the looks compared to the Mazda. And it's her car and her money so her call really... What else is there in that sector? What happened to the Honda S2000 and the Toyota MR2?

Mini Cooper convertible is an obvious thought. Anybody know anything about the Mini Coupe/Roadster from a few years back? A pal of hers had a Peugeot CC - they ended in 2014 according to Wikipedia - what else is still made in that style?

Any ideas, suggestions are very welcome.
Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2017 at 10:36AM
    Buy the right Porsche Boxster / Cayman or even 911 for that budget and you'll beat depreciation.

Audi TT Roadster?

BMW Z4?

Mercedes SLK?

GT86 if shes not stuck on having a convertible?
  • NBLondon
    Thanks for that... GT86 (and the Subaru equivalent) were left out as too hardcore. The £25K is for brand-new and ideal; nearly new would be a lower budget. Can you get a 3 to 5 year old Boxter/SLK/Z4 at that price point that would not be about to cost a lot in servicing, tyres etc.? Autotrader seems to be putting up 2009/2010 cars for around £20K.

Hadn't thought Audi TT...
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My missus has got a mini coupe (2 seats) cooper s which is fun to drive. They do a convertible one too, should be around £25000 if you don't have many add ons.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    I have an MX5 as a fun car and I love it. Mine is a Mk 2.5 with a detachable GRP top for the winter. Of course it is not as fast or as sexy as a BMW/Merc/Porsche etc, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to run and insure and it is fast enough for driving conditions these days. Other advantages include cheap and easily available spare parts and an engine that just seems to go for ever. Do watch out for corrosion, though, which can be cured if caught in time. There is very good owners' club with lots of online help.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    MX5 would have been my first thought based on the requirements. S2000 might have been an option but production ceased in 2009 and I think one would be too old for her. The MR2 stopped in 2007 and was pretty impractical anyway, with almost no luggage capacity.
  • apn70
    apn70 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Rather than a Fiat 124, look at the Abarth 124. Looks better than the standard car and is awesome fun to drive.

You can pick up ex demo for about 25k.
  • NBLondon
    edited 3 March 2017 at 3:43PM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    MX5 would have been my first thought based on the requirements.
    Yep - even though the MG owners club would get the pitchforks out...
    apn70 wrote: »
    Rather than a Fiat 124, look at the Abarth 124. Looks better than the standard car and is awesome fun to drive.
    I would... but She Who is Paying thinks the MX5 looks better - she actually says the 124 is too blokey - but that doesn't mean she wants a "girly" car
    GT86, Elise, 370Z don't fit the requirement of driving over speed bumps every day. BMW 2 series is over the price point - 1-series is possible but ugly; SLC is over the price point. Mustang 2.3 is too large and too blingy. I'd suggested Scirocco but it went in the hot hatch pile.

Just been looking at Audi TT - starts at £29K new so that's out. Auto Trader has just suggested a 63 plate at £18K - which is worth looking further.

Thanks again!
  • NBLondon
    MX5 Arctic now on order...

Thanks again for the ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure