The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    My husband loves seafood sticks.
    Tescos were his favourite 16 in a packet for £1. The last week or so all our local branches were sold out.
    Yesterday they were back in store but now only an 8pk for 80p :eek:
    So from 6p per stick to 10p, yet they are trying to tell us they are getting cheaper than Aldi who sell 16 for 79p :cool:
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I've noticed Mars Chocolate UK have reduced the sizes of their pouches.

For example: Maltesers were 121g and are now 103g. Still £1.50 a bag.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    20aday wrote: »
    I've noticed Mars Chocolate UK have reduced the sizes of their pouches.

For example: Maltesers were 121g and are now 103g. Still £1.50 a bag.

Yes, the big one for me is Minstrels (usually found for £1) at 153g is now 112g.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I find smaller bags of chocolate safer, so am ok with that one!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Soworried wrote: »
    So from 6p per stick to 10p, yet they are trying to tell us they are getting cheaper than Aldi who sell 16 for 79p :cool:
    To be fair, this is a niche product...relatively few people will have them on their shopping list of staples. So it's not as if Tesco is going to profit heavily from this if low volumes are sold, nor is it likely to be the cause of a huge backlash.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • 20aday
    robrymond wrote: »
    Yes, the big one for me is Minstrels (usually found for £1) at 153g is now 112g.

Whenever they were on offer I opted for Minstrels as they offered the best price per 100g.

I appreciate raw costs are increasing (poor cocoa harvests etc) but to keep these bags at the same price is annoying.

Still it'll work wonders for my obesity crisis, I won't be buying them again LOL!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Birds Eye peas may well have shrunk. I had a MyCoupons offer for 860g I think it was, but the only weight on the shelf near that was 800g. Naughty tactic by Sainsbury's misaligning offers in order to give out less points.

I decided to sort through the veg in my freezer today in some attempt to rotate what I have in there.

Mostly Farmfoods frozen peas and leeks. Old packaging 1 kg, new packaging 900g. Price stays the same for a 10% reduction.:(
  • 20aday
    I know this hasn't been updated since May 2016 but Mr Kipling have now shrunk their nine pack of slices (i.e. Angel Cake) down to packs of eight.

Similarly Tropicana have shrunk their family size of 1.75l juice drinks down to 1.6l!
  • I've just noticed that Nescafe Cappuccino packets now contain only 8 sachets instead of 10 - strangely for the same price - that equates to a 25% price increase :mad:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I usually buy a 1kg bag of bananas from Aldi for 72p. I count the bananas because I like eight or nine small ones instead of five or six big ones. Now they sell them five in a bag for the same price. No weight specified and the bananas vary in size. Cheeky.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family