Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk

Options

Comments

• CityBlue
    CityBlue Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

After I originally started this thread I have decided to use BOXT. I had various quotes from local guys - all of which were more expensive.

With regards to who to trust, how do I know that the local guy is not a cowboy who is going to rip me off?

Plumber is currently onsite - arrived when they said they would - boiler also arrived this morning. No complaints so far and all running very efficiently. Will post an update later when the job is completed.
  • RichardKing
    Options
    Well, my installation was done by BOXT yesterday. They do have clear terms and conditions on their website, so I'm quite sure they would have an 'out' if you gave them incorrect information, and would obviously be within their rights to offer a modified quotation if their was more work needed than they knew-off before hand,

The boiler etc was delivered at the promised time, the installers arrived when they said they would.

They were a couple of friendly Geordie lads who had travelled down the previous day and stayed overnight locally, before going on to their next job in London.

They said they are employed by BOXT, so are not local sub-contractors.

They worked like dogs - and were able to finish the entire job in about 7 hours! They did a nice tidy job, cleaned up after themselves and made sure I knew how to operate the system. No complaints. I would certainly use them, again..

The price compared very well to local quotes - basically I could get a Worcester Bosch from them, for the price of an Ideal Logic from a local supplier. So I decided to go for broke and go for a slightly bigger WB boiler than I really needed, so we can get the best flow rate at the taps/showers.

We've never had such good pressure at the taps - the bath filled faster than ever with lashings of hot water.

I really like the Honeywell thermostat/programmer that came with the deal! I wouldn't have bothered to buy one if I'd had to pay extra - but it turns out to be very convenient and easy to use, so is a very nice bonus.

The main thing that annoyed me about the whole business is the nonsense and BS fed to me by some of the other firms that quoted. I don't much like being manipulated by a salesman, especially when they don't really have any product knowledge. Like the firm that wanted to charge me £250 for a limescale inhibitor, and didn't even know what kind it was. Then their was the one who wanted to charge me £880 to 'convert to a combi system' when our old boiler already WAS a combi system!

In contrast the interaction with BOXT was much more straight-forward and easy.
  • CityBlue
    CityBlue Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Our boiler was installed yesterday by BOXT. All a very smooth process from start to finish. Everything arrived on time and was installed.

We did require an extra part to extend the flue which the engineer went and bought at no extra cost to us.

Craig was the engineer who came out and we were very happy with the service provided. All in all a very easy process to a job I had been putting off for a few years thinking it would be a nightmare to sort.

I would not hesitate to use BOXT again!
  • RichardKing
    RichardKing Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2017 at 1:32PM
    Options
    DominicH wrote: »
    Since you seem to be representing Boxt themselves, can I ask how does the fixed price cope with unforeseen, job-specific things that probably crop up in lots of boiler installations?
    E.g. what if the customer has half-inch gas pipes and the boiler needs 22mm? Or what if extra piping needs to be run for the condensate, or a soakaway installed? Or the flue needs special extensions?
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    There you go then, tell them you have 22mm gas, round flue and access to a waste on the online quote and when they get there to find no waste connection, 15mm gas pipe and square flue they will put it right free.

Never gone to trust a company that doesn't visit the property to quote and say they will not charge extra if other stuff is needed.

Their terms and conditions are available on their website! 'P'raps a pity the companies posts were deleted as spam - they were reacting to posts about themselves. Seems fair enough they be allowed to respond and answer any questions raised?
  • DominicH
    DominicH Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2017 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Hmm, the mods on this forum don't insert a post saying "spam deleted"?
    I don't like that. It can make it look like people were replying to someone else.

Still, thanks for the update. As someone else said, maybe they are cowboys, maybe they aren't, but the same goes for anyone else. People always say on this forum, somewhat glibly IMO, "find a good fitter." OK, but how?
    "Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DominicH wrote: »
    Still, thanks for the update. As someone else said, maybe they are cowboys, maybe they aren't, but the same goes for anyone else. People always say on this forum, somewhat glibly IMO, "find a good fitter." OK, but how?

I doubt that they are cowboys, however, as you say, the most important factor is how competent their fitters are. The people posting above have all had good fitters, but if BOXT get too busy, they are going to have to find more fitters and who knows what they will be like.
  • kjsav123
    kjsav123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I've been a member of MSE for a Looooong time but seldom post anything - and certainly nothing for a few years.
    Age maybe has changed my Outlook on things - I'm getting more intolerant of people bad mouthing others (be it other people or in this case businesses) without first hand experience.

I used Boxt today - in actual.fact it was for my dad. I posted the review below on a review site where I originally read about Boxt. Glowing reviews - unlike here.

I saw the reviews here - the bitterness from some who I'm guessing have a vested interest themselves in putting a company out of business who are offering what appears to be unbelievable cheap prices. Maybe making others appear exorbitantly expensive isn't the done thing in the Plumbing business?

Anyway - take from below what you will - I don't work for them, never have, never will (not a plumber!) As it says at the bottom - I'm just someone with a lifetime of working in the Service Industry - someone who's decided good service and value for money are lacking greatly today - and when it's found - it should be applauded!

Boiler finally packed up on Tuesday so went about getting quotes for a replacement.
    British Gas have a "Flash Sale" 50% off boiler price. Sounded good. £2900 they quoted.
    Got three other quotes (via online forms which require sending various photos)
    Cheapest quote was £2600. That was for a Worcester Bosch 25i along with programmable room thermostat (for FREE - actual price via Amazon found to be £24)
    Found the 25i for £911 Inc next day delivery. Looked like that was the best way - buy the parts and get a local Gas Safe tradesman to fit them.
    Then by chance whilst looking further online found Boxt.
    Filled out their online quotation form - £1770 for Worcester Bosch 30i and Honeywell Lyric Smart Thermostat including Fernox F1 filter, system flush and 10yr guarantee covered by Worcester Bosch (need to have annual service by any Gas Safe Registered engineer)
    Seeing all the positive reviews on here after finding that quote it seemed a no brainier. Looked to see when I could book the work. Further surprise - they were available the following day (Today April 6th) and if I booked that I'd get £50 OFF the price as they had a spare slot.
    Two lads from Leeds arrived 815 this morning (I'm on outskirts of Liverpool - that was an early start for them).
    One cuppa later and they were hard at work.
    11:15 and they were gone.
    No physical sign they had been - other than a toastie warm house! They left the place spotless.
    They really are a credit to themselves and to Boxt.
    I've worked in the Service Industry all my life - that is the single reason for this review - credit and praise where it's due is often lacking these days.
    Given the literally "Bargain Basement" price paid - I was not expecting the level of service, or the attention to detail to ensure the place was spotless before they left.
    Don't hesitate - use these guys!
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I'm happy you all have had good jobs done by this company, I service and repair boilers for a living so don't really care what this company does as they don't compete with my company. I just give a honest opinion, I do plenty of repairs from there previous company so hope they do well and I keep getting work off the back of there installs.

what seems to be common with all the jobs is the speed at which they complete jobs. Speed really isn't great with these jobs, you need to realise how important a clean system is to a new boiler and the manufacturers warranty, they have fitted a boiler at the last review in 3hrs including tidying up. When these boiler breakdown due to sludge the manufacturers will not repair them under warranty they will advise you to get the installers back and flush it and charge for there time and repair. The jobs may look good today but a year or 2 down the line there will be issues. The systems need to be completely filled and drained cold and again hot as a minimum, how they can does this in 3 hours and all the rest of the req work and commissioning of the boiler is not possible no matter how quick they are, which means corners are being cut. when the original system is dirty they need flushing which can take up to a day on its own depending on the size of the system, magnetic system filters will help but not garuntee anything.

At the end of the day people can make there own decisions but there is such a thing as too cheap.
  • mattpc
    mattpc Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:41AM
    Options
    To be fair to these installers, most boilers I've ever had done took one bloke a hard days work. Based on the anecdotes on here, 1 took 3 hours which I agree is quick (perhaps a little too quick) and another one took 7 hours. Now two blokes working together = 14 man hours in theory. Ok perhaps that is a bit optimistic as they will be tripping over each other so tone that down to 10 man hours. Use this analogy and if the two blokes are on site for 7 hours then that's about the same as one bloke doing 1 long day on his own.

I'm considering using them as the quotes I've had for a new boiler suggest that I am being charged an excessive amount of labour for installing the new boiler. I don't mind paying a fair days money but I reckon £1000 of the total price is going in labour for one bloke to work a long day. Now I don't think £100 an hour is fair (assuming a 10 hour day). Of course they have costs and that isn't the take home pay but still.. Therefore I want to save money where I can...

My two points of concern are as follows. 1, I do want my system flushing out properly. I've seen the water from the system, it's filthy and my existing boiler howls during operation (although works fine). 2, as I understand we have a 22mm gas pipe going to the boiler but the new boiler I want to fit would benefit from a 28mm gas pipe. I think it could be done on 22mm but I am told it would not run to its full potential without 28mm. This might be a load of rubbish but I'm inclined to think not. BOXT tell me that if it needs the 28mm they will honor the original online quote and change it to 28mm. The point is though that while it may run OK on 22mm, it would probably run better on 28mm when under heavy load (I'm not a gas engineer feel free to tell me I'm talking nonsense...)

I've also read all the Trustpilot reviews, they are great but only started coming in last month. I've also read some bad reviews of their other or old company which have been less than favorable in many cases. It's a tricky one, save a lot of money now but take a bit of a punt or cough up to line the local guys pocket but probably get better service.

I suppose the danger is that given that I know the water in the system is currently horrible, all sorts of new leaks could appear once the system has been flushed. This makes me think perhaps that is why some folks don't flush very carefully as the more you clean it, the more new problems appear? Boxt, insist that if it needs the 28mm pipe once they have installed and tested the boiler, they will do it. This is fine but I also need a clean heating system that is going to work with the boiler for a long time and last. I plan to be in the house at least another five years and I don't want to be spending significantly on the heating system again once the job is done. The more I research the issue, the more I think that perhaps it is worth getting the job done once and comprehensively. It pains me to almost deliberately overpay for a job but if it means it is done right then in this instance it might be better. I would be fascinated to hear from anyone who knows more about the technical side of this job so that I can learn if my logic is correct or flawed.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    All new boilers work with very small water ways inside so if your system is dirty it will damage the new boiler very quickly, you will contact the manufacturers for a warranty repair and they will charge, void wart and advise to get it flushed. If it's very dirty it could take all day to clean. See if they will power flush your system at extra cost. Nearly all boiler faults I goto relate to poor water quality.

To know what size gas supply you need, someone will need to do a gas pipe calculation, it may run ok on 22mm but how will you know. There are tests that can be done to check which involve taking gas pressure tests from the boiler and gas meter when the boiler is running at max and also testing how much gas it uses on max over a set time. If you have doubts after they fit it, pay a local person carry out these 2 tests.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback