Women fighting state pension changes to protest outside Parliament on Budget Day

Comments

• Pennylane wrote: »
    Martin Lewis on Twitter "it was a superb rally.":T

Try asking him why he hasn't put 'his hand in his pocket' to support them? ;)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pennylane wrote: »
    Martin Lewis on Twitter "it was a superb rally.":T

Who is Martin Lewis?
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is Ros Altmann for you. She goes wherever she is paid to go or where her commercial interests are. She flip flops on positions all the time.

Found this on Twitter. The tweeter, John Ralfe, is one of the most well respected independent pensions experts in the country. His website: http://www.johnralfe.com/

2u4q88m.jpg

I can't believe Ros Altmann would possibly benefit from saying the WASPI ask would cost £2bn when everyone knows it's more like 35 times that = £77bn, according to parliamentary documents published over the last year or so.

It's not £2,000,000,000 but £77,000,000,000, ex-Pensions Minister. Please have your abacus sent for a service, Ros Altmann, it's been mis-firing.

It is very reassuring to know though that someone who gets their numbers so spectacularly wrong as Ros Altmann did is no longer in charge of a ministry.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,139
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was originally told it would be paid next month at age 63 years and 6 months but it was then put back to 64 years and 9 months.

And that is what was wrong.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »

Yes, well, I didn't shout 'yippee' and throw a party when I received the letter.

But neither did I start making ridiculous demands that my state pension date should be put back to 60 - as it was pre 1995.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    Yet that is not what WASPI are complaining about.
  • mazzy
    mazzy Posts: 114 Forumite
    I was born October 53 and knew for years i would be 63 before I got my pension. The only thing I have a quibble with is how the next rise was done. If you were born after April 53 it changed again, fair enough they have to have some form of cut off point but I believe it should have been eased in as birthdays fell not lumping on another 18 months. If you were for example six months from cut off date add on six months and so on, that would have felt fairer to me.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    mazzy wrote: »
    I was born October 53 and knew for years i would be 63 before I got my pension. The only thing I have a quibble with is how the next rise was done. If you were born after April 53 it changed again, fair enough they have to have some form of cut off point but I believe it should have been eased in as birthdays fell not lumping on another 18 months. If you were for example six months from cut off date add on six months and so on, that would have felt fairer to me.
    Yes, mazzy. it was the 2011 (I think) Act that impacted on late 1953 & 1954 women giving not a lot of notice.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm a 50's woman too, I knew over 20 years ago that I wouldn't get my pension at age 60.
    I was originally told it would be paid next month at age 63 years and 6 months but it was then put back to 64 years and 9 months.
    ^^^^ Posted by me earlier in this thread so we are in exactly the same position, I'm October 1953 too.

If WASPI had concentrated on the later changes instead of banging on about what happened in 1995, I think they would have had much more support.
  • For too long the women of WASPI have patiently and courteously sought to engage with the Government to obtain redress for the very serious injustices brought about by successive governments' failure properly to communicate the changes to the state pension age.

Those calls have, unfortunately, fallen upon deaf ears. Our clients have therefore been forced to send formal legal correspondence to the Government to call for concrete action. If the Government refuses to consider these proposals, our clients will have no alternative but to consider all available legal and other options.

https://www.bindmans.com/news/waspi-calls-on-the-government-to-correct-historic-pensions-injustices

Quite how they'll fund any Legal action is a mystery - a bit like their demands. They must have spent a large chunk of the £100k they raised, already.
  • mazzy
    mazzy Posts: 114 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Yes, mazzy. it was the 2011 (I think) Act that impacted on late 1953 & 1954 women giving not a lot of notice.

^^^^ Posted by me earlier in this thread so we are in exactly the same position, I'm October 1953 too.

If WASPI had concentrated on the later changes instead of banging on about what happened in 1995, I think they would have had much more support.

I agree. They have let us down concentrating on fighting something most of us agreed had to happen. I was fortunate to have a work pension that enabled me to retire soon after my husband, its not a lot but enough as my replacement knees have been a problem and I could have no longer continued in the job i was doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure