stray? kitten

Options
Coupe of days ago whilst walking my dogs I saw a torti kitten she kept trying to come over and followed at distance so knows where I live.

Tonight she followed me round again, kissed my male dog, hissed at my female dog broke into my house and stole tomcat food (and dogs dry, hissed and grrrrd at tomcat.)

I have put her out 3 times now (idiot husband keeps letting tomcat out) and she's crying outside my front door.

I can't keep her so are the cats protection league the best bet later today (presuming the little love is outside?)

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the kitten old enough to be outside alone? If so, then what makes you think she's a stray?

As long as there are no obvious signs of neglect, I'd probably start by knocking on the neighbours' doors to see if she belongs to anybody. If that doesn't yield results then you can pop a paper collar on her with your phone number to see if she has an owner who gets in touch to reassure you she's being cared for.

If she's not really old enough to be out, seems very thin/scruffy etc. or you get no response from the paper collar, then you could take her to a vet to be scanned for a chip and take it from there depending on the outcome.

Remember, cat owners are allowed to let their animals roam, rightly or wrongly, so just being out and about on the scrounge or trespassing into other houses does not necessarily mean its stray.
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She's tatty and skin and bones is why I think she's a stray
    She's old enough to be out but no more than 3 months old.

Currently crying outside my windows.

I have had cats on and off and know the difference one of ours growing up was a multi home cat.

She's driving my dogs and tomcat mad
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vets first then if she's skin and bones. They can scan her for a chip and then take it from there depending on if she has one/if its up to date etc.

She might be lost rather than neglected.
  • mellymoo74
    Options
    She's currently head butting my windows
    Nowhere to put her
    And driving my dogs mad.

Vets first thing then.

She's also riddled with worms (distended belly skinny everywhere else)

My own fault need to stop fussing cats
  • mellymoo74
    Options
    Box with blanket out for her
    All over me like a purring rash.

Hopefully she has worn herself out with gymnastics involved in jumping onto a windowsill and trying to get in through a closed windows.

Vets at 9
    Thanks
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Three months old? Then she isn't old enough to be out for another nine, shes only just old enough to be away from mum. Hopefully the poor thing will find a nice home.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Three months old? Then she isn't old enough to be out for another nine, shes only just old enough to be away from mum. Hopefully the poor thing will find a nice home.

Since when couldn't you let a cat out until it's a year old?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Since when couldn't you let a cat out until it's a year old?

Who on earth would let a kitten out alone? Not only aren't they big enough to defend themselves, they are far too stupid. Have a look at the age a cat is most likely to be run over, if someone wishes to keep their cat they certainly wouldn't be letting them out as babies.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Who on earth would let a kitten out alone? Not only aren't they big enough to defend themselves, they are far too stupid. Have a look at the age a cat is most likely to be run over, if someone wishes to keep their cat they certainly wouldn't be letting them out as babies.

A cat's greatest chance of being run over is in the weeks when it's first let out, whether that's 3 months or 3 years. As a vet told me once, "They either learn or they die".:(

I think you're far too over protective of your cats (which is, obviously your choice) but I don't think you should keep putting forward your way of doing things as the norm (I think you're the poster who doesn't leave their cats for more than an hour or so or gets someone to come in, apoogies if not).

The general advice is that they can go out unsupervised after they've been spayed/neutered at around 6 months.
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    what happened please?
    was she there this am?
    did you go to the vets?

I would be the same as you up all night sitting with the poor thing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts