BT to True Telecom by PERSON NOT AUTHORISED to do so!

Comments

• Protopia
    Protopia Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had a cold call from True Telecom with details of a seemingly money saving alternative to my current phone/Broadband shambles of a service with BT. Having told the guy it all sounds good and he should send me the details in e-mail/hard copy for me to review things took a different direction---he insisted that I had to provide full bank account details in order for them then to be able to send out the paperwork
    DUH!!!!! I don't think so!

Well - it might indeed have been True Telecom wanting your bank details so as to transfer your contract without your consent.

Or it might just have been someone after your bank details and using True Telecom as a cover.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Protopia wrote: »
    How did you get on with True Telecom?
    Yan1 last logged in last March.
  • ioh
    ioh Posts: 15 Forumite
    I have had a similar phone call, and in your wife's defence, they ask you details, which they are making into a new contract for you. I said I was not the business owner so could not make decisions, and therefore send it to me in writing . This never happened, but today 2 weeks later I have just received a call from the "senior account manager". This guy doesn't understand the word NO, to the extent that I had to cut him off after telling him several times, we did not agree to a contract just some details being sent out to me. What a sham of a company !!!:mad:
  • My parents just had a cold call from True Telecom who announced that they were working on behalf of BT Billing. As usual they offered cheaper services and rates. The next day my parents had a "sorry you are leaving us" letter from BT which raised alarm bells as my parents had not wanted to leave BT.

Long story short - they cancelled with True Telecom.

But I just called them to find out how they got our address and account number??

They claim to work for Openreach wholesale billing (which is separate from BT). They are very arrogant and cocky and deny "misleading" people.

My point is: why say you are working on behalf of BT when you're not.

What they're doing may not be illegal but it is definitely UNETHICAL AND BAD PRACTICE.

I want to know how they find out your account number and address ???
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Go to your local CAB/citizens advice and also your bank .
  • I have tried CAB and have sent them details have also complained to BT and have asked True is they are a member of a complaints system. Waiting in hope.BJ
  • Happyjack
    Happyjack Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 July 2017 at 11:03AM
    Hi Bill, dont worry too much. You are doing all the right things. Also, do not be scared {Text removed by MSE Investigator}, there are so so many people in the same boat and this should be taken into account by the ombudsman. PLEASE help yourself by getting everything in writing or you will have no proof of the promises and smooth talk. We left because they kept asking for 28 days to deal with our complaints and ALWAYS failed. We waited five months for them to sort the many different issues we had had before jumping ship back to BT. They want £1780.00 from us. Not a hope in hell because we have proof that they broke their own contract in writing. When they call you, tell them you will only reply to emails or written word, then put the phone down. Let us know how you get on...... Good luck, you are in the right!!!!
  • This company has had several guises over the years, run by Mark Banes and Stuart Griffiths they have had a number of documented issues in running companies in accordance with the law. They've recently had a number of fines and are close to closing down, again.

See the news story on DataProtectionCompany .co.uk for details.

They will doubtless rise up again however with a different name and continue with their usual practices.
  • I have reported True Telecom to the ICO and to the TPS on several occasions for cold calling a telephone line registered with the TPS.

I suggest anyone who get any form of call from True Telecom does exactly the same in order to build the case for ICO fining them (again).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure