Exchange Only line

13»

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    From someone who lives in a rural area, be very grateful that you have a choice:)
  • Michael74
    Michael74 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is true, however the irony is, by the end of next year if I randomly pick a rural village, I am more likely to get FTTC than here in a semi urban area for the foreseeable future.
  • sunshine62_2
    sunshine62_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael74 View Post
    My average is 18.2 Mbps. Once upon a time that did me, but I now have a two children who are old enough to use the internet and things are sloooooowwwwiiiiiinnnngggg dooooooowwwwwwnnnnn lol

Owain Moneysaver responded 13/04 : Not a complete fix, of course, but with a suitable router you can give the children a separate virtual network and restrict their bandwidth so they don't hog it all.

My interest was picqued by the phrase "suitable router". I feel that my/our internet connection is not up to speed. How do I found out if the router is "too basic" to support 3 users (one teenage user, one manic iPlayer user and one normal user) or if the broadband connection to the house is "too basic"?
  • We nee dthe government to step in, it affects 1.4 milluion of us who cant get super fast broadband!
    There's a pertition but i doubt it'll get 100,000 signatures unless Martin himself carried it from here
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 October 2019 at 9:43AM
    Michael74 wrote: »
    Indeed Connecting Devon and Somerset wondered if its down to it being commercially viable or not. But there are plenty of people who have access to cable and superfast. In Scotland EO lines are being converted with no great issues. I think its down to the Scottish Govt ensuring that everyone gets good value for money rather than the "English" govt just handing the money out shouting look we are getting everyone faster BB its all abit rubbish really lol

(chuckles) No. The Scot Gov has had a truly shambolic BB policy and is a mile behind England. Most EO lines in Eng were dealt with long ago. The Issue in D&S is that the gigaclear deal fell though. So many exchanges that were suppose to be updates via that route won't happen at present. Gc and BT are just doing commercial not state funded rollouts there atm. BT may well still act in your area its hard to tell without far more detail.

@Sunshine: If it really matters a capped 4G mobile router may give you more speed for less cost.
    @Michael BTs Fibrefirst in cities is moving very quickly now. (c25k/w) So if you are urban you will be very unlucky to not get Fibre in the short-medium term.
  • Michael74 wrote: »
    This is true, however the irony is, by the end of next year if I randomly pick a rural village, I am more likely to get FTTC than here in a semi urban area for the foreseeable future.

I'm tired of hearing about all the money that needs to be spent to bring superfast broadband to all these rural communities, when I live in the centre of London and have an EO line :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure