New wood burner question

We currently have a large multi-fuel stove with an unlined flue. We want to replace the fire with a small wood-burner for occasional use. My question is, is it essential to get the flue lined, or can we continue to use it unlined?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would point you at the Stove Fitter's Manual, which answers this comprehensively:

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/do-i-need-to-line-my-chimney/

Briefly, the answer comes down to: who's fitting the stove? Who's sweeping the chimney? How safety conscious are they? What's the integrity of the flue like?
  • elastic
    elastic Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To anyone obeying the same question, the article linked above is very informative! It has certainly given me my answer!
  • You may also want to speak to your home insurance company about whether it is a requirement for your insureance
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You may also want to speak to your home insurance company about whether it is a requirement for your insureance

I'm one of those people who actually reads insurance documents. I have never seen anything regarding what sort of flue I have. I've never even seen a requirement to have my flue swept regularly.

If they don't ask, you don't need to tell them. And they never do ask.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure