PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Comments

• buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Fewer houses are coming to market because fewer people want them at high prices, so the previous "demand" was artificial demand, is that it?

Wow you really can twist anything can't you... Does everyone not get really bored with you? I'm convinced you can turn any conversation into whatever you are talking about is the reason house prices are going to crash...

Recently viewed and offered on a property, got in quick but 10 viewings booked within 2 days, two good offers refused.. Going to see another place tomorrow but again don't think ill get it because I can't match what some people are willing to pay... Maybe its just houses im interested in but seems to be plenty of pent up demand and people willing to offer what even I consider crazy money. Im sure though you will say this is proof a crash is coming... lol
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't really understand what you are saying or what point you are trying to make?!??!
    Fewer houses are coming to market because fewer people want them at high prices

Fewer houses are coming to market for a number of reasons; fewer people wanting them is not one of those reasons. Ever-increasing stamp duty is one, uncertainty over Brexit is another.
    so the previous "demand" was artificial demand, is that it?

Nope, the demand is very real as proved by the 100,000 properties that continue to be bought and sold every month.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Wow you really can twist anything can't you... Does everyone not get really bored with you? I'm convinced you can turn any conversation into whatever you are talking about is the reason house prices are going to crash...

Recently viewed and offered on a property, got in quick but 10 viewings booked within 2 days, two good offers refused.. Going to see another place tomorrow but again don't think ill get it because I can't match what some people are willing to pay... Maybe its just houses im interested in but seems to be plenty of pent up demand and people willing to offer what even I consider crazy money. Im sure though you will say this is proof a crash is coming... lol

Could be... :rotfl: Look up the stats on sales volumes and find out :)
  • buggy_boy
    Could be... :rotfl: Look up the stats on sales volumes and find out :)

How about you look up stats on house prices.... I hear they are more of an indication of house prices than sales volumes.... Ferrari don't sell many cars, I can't see Ferrari's crashing in price any time soon.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Look up the stats on sales volumes and find out

I've just done exactly that; sales volumes still static at 100,000 a month, as they have been for at least the last 18 months... it seems that "fewer people want them" is fake news and only exists in your head. :rotfl:
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Crashy_Time
    I've just done exactly that; sales volumes still static at 100,000 a month, as they have been for at least the last 18 months... it seems that "fewer people want them" is fake news and only exists in your head. :rotfl:

Try reading the stats going back 5-10 years for a clearer picture ;)
  • buggy_boy
    Try reading the stats going back 5-10 years for a clearer picture ;)

Sales volumes have been low for 5-10 years, and house prices have continued to increase...
  • Crashy_Time
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Sales volumes have been low for 5-10 years, and house prices have continued to increase...

And getting lower it seems....

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-house-price-index-for-february-2018
  • buggy_boy

Annual rise of 4.4%?

There have been a few small drops over the years, its better to look at the annual rate as this gives a clearer picture. a 0.1% drop in one month does not make a crash.
  • 51mm5
    51mm5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Boom. Game over Crashy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business