NatWest £125 switch incentive

Options

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I think people do get distressed about it - it is easy to just say oh well manana give them a couple of weeks to sort it out I know I'll get it in the end doesn't matter but that's not how it works I think if you are expecting an incentive by today and it doesn't turn up you get upset about it that is just very very understandable
  • NJA22
    NJA22 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    This is interesting. The terms of the offer regarding the switch were:

That is quite broad in itself. There is no mention of the switched account (Nationwide in your case) having direct debits or anything. I would be interested to hear the reason.
    No direct debits were switched in this case. The account switched in question was a Flex Account opened in a 'donor' fashion i.e. was only open for a short time (approx 1 month).
    Provided I can get through to someone tomorrow will feedback here.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NJA22 wrote: »
    The account switched in question was a Flex Account opened in a 'donor' fashion i.e. was only open for a short time (approx 1 month).
    In addition to the questions I asked in post #1819 (which you may have missed), did you have a debit card for the Nationwide account? And was it activated? And did you tell NatWest you had a debit card (if you did)?
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No payment for me yet. My dad who dopily forgot to deposit £1500 until 16th March has received his £125 on the 11th. We weren't expecting it as the terms required the deposit before the 16th.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Yes I think people do get distressed about it - it is easy to just say oh well manana give them a couple of weeks to sort it out I know I'll get it in the end doesn't matter but that's not how it works I think if you are expecting an incentive by today and it doesn't turn up you get upset about it that is just very very understandable

Presumably the same people would sue their own grandmother if she sent their birthday card a day late. ;)

On a slightly more serious point, people going over the top with their complaints and causing aggravation calling multiple times a day might make NatWest wonder about the wisdom of offering switching bonuses in the future, especially if large numbers of people taking the advantage of the offer close their account asap.

That would be... unfortunate. And even more unfortunate if Natwest's parent company takes note and decides this switching bonus game is more hassle than it is worth. :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • NJA22
    Options
    Were you told by Nationwide (online and by letter) that you were switching out?
    Was the Nationwide account closed on, or shortly after, switch date?
    Did NatWest send you a list of payments on the Nationwide account, that you could elect to switch or leave on Nationwide, prior to switch date?
    Online - no, Letter - unsure. Although if I recall, on my online banking screen with Nationwide it did carry a little message underneath the relevant account saying 'switching out'.
    No didn't recieve that list of payments from Natwest.
    In addition to the questions I asked in post #1819 (which you may have missed), did you have a debit card for the Nationwide account? And was it activated? And did you tell NatWest you had a debit card (if you did)?
    Sorry, Yorkshire Boy I did overlook that. Now I did tell Natwest that I did have a Nationwide debit card, however thinking about it, its very possible that I didn't activate it. All I did was stick a token £50 on it and never used it to make any transactions both electronically or chip and pin. Do you think the activation maybe the contributing factor?
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Do you think the activation maybe the contributing factor?
    It's possible I suppose.

Another possibility is that there was a name mismatch. Maybe you omitted a middle name on one account/debit card?

And I don't think you said whether the Nationwide account was indeed closed on completion of the switch?
  • NJA22
    Options
    It's possible I suppose.

Another possibility is that there was a name mismatch. Maybe you omitted a middle name on one account/debit card?

And I don't think you said whether the Nationwide account was indeed closed on completion of the switch?
    Yes... middle name is on the Natwest but not on the Nationwide.
    Can't remember if the Nationwide a/c was closed on switch completion.
  • NJA22
    Options
    It's possible I suppose.

Quick question; So if an account is switched out, that switched isn't immediately closed? It could potentially lay dormant for a short time afterwards?
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Yes... middle name is on the Natwest but not on the Nationwide.
    Seem to remember they must match exactly. Maybe that's where the fault lies. Then again, if the CASS couldn't complete fully the Nationwide account might still be open? If so, they may have done a partial switch, and not a CASS switch.
    Can't remember if the Nationwide a/c was closed on switch completion.
    Must have been the only account you had with them? Otherwise you could log in to check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure