Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Options

Comments

• White_musk
    White_musk Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    the loneliness could easily crack me up too and I think myself so lucky to still be young enough to do things, it must be impossible at an old age. My dear mil used to say that she hoped not to wake up on some mornings.

I cut and pasted because LL the above applies to me and I too thank WM for those words, she said what I thought but daren`t say, even to myself

I absolutely have to move forward via this potential new home, staying here would mean I was stuck. The house is beautiful, storage is brilliant but I want to get out on my bike, different places, not around the same (lovely) circuit each and every time. I want walking distance to facilities, village facilities but much better and I need to be future proofed

In the meantime, while I wait, I get prepared, bottom every room, one at a time, unscrew things, fill holes and touch up paintwark. Working the marie kondo magic when the mood takes me. I did that today and have ended up with a study/craft room that I would be proud to show to viewers.

Honestly local radio does help, there is power in cheery music, it changes brain waves. I couldn`t do without the radio

I have an Amazon Firestick so can download apps onto it. I like to watch the news and listen to music. I have Spotify on my phone so I downloaded the app onto the FS and I can listen to all my favourite music while I'm doing whatever. I do think music is good for the soul. I also have the BBC app. Suits me just fine.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Me neither WM I would not want another person living here, its the penny and the bun. My husband earned me looking after him, it was always a two way caring marriage, the cooking etc. I would not want to do that for anyone else, anyway I was faithful all my life, only ever had a few cursory dates with others before meeting my husband at a rambling group, group meetings with country dances, people our age, parties etc It was fab. Got married and neither of us had ever looked at anyone else and that will continue to my dying day

I have to say that I am very much on my toes for predators eg the estate agents know my situation and that I am buying a house before selling this. One male showed me around, very expert salesman, quickly got me into conversation about hobbies and has now arranged to join a group I belong to. I think this is genuine but I am on high alert and have told the group leader I don`t want to sit at the same workbench as him. I told him I wasn`t interested in a house he persuaded me to see, more expensive than I want but I went as I was curious. He asked today when I would like a second viewing. I wrote back straight away, thanks but no thanks, kept it very short but I must say my hackles are up and that is another thing we need to be aware of
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some interesting comments there White Musk. You are slightly ahead of me, I will be 4 years in August.

It’s good that your move worked out so well for you. I think I am ready now, nervous of course but I am going to trust my instincts and not look to my sons for guidance. I tried that before and it just didn’t pan out for me. But that was my fault because I didn’t have a clear picture of what I needed. Now I am more focussed so it should be easier.

Another man??? Well he would have to be pretty remarkable, my husband would be a tough act to follow.

I did meet a couple of men on one of my cruises. They were both vying for my favours which was actually quite gratifying. :rotfl:

Meeting those two men did teach me that I can actually contemplate another relationship now and that I wouldn’t feel that I was betraying my husband’s memory. I enjoyed a little light flirting, it was fun but I didn’t want to take it any further with either of them.

They were both nice men but there were no thunderbolts, no fireworks, no shooting stars, .......at least not for me although they seemed keen enough. Alas I wasn’t struck by Cupid’s arrow. :rotfl:

Does lightening strike twice. Could I be that lucky. It can happen of course. Some people do have the good fortune to love again. I won’t hold my breath. It’s all in the lap of the Gods.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Does lightening strike twice. .

of course it can LL. I have met several people who are happily married again after being widowed.
  • White_musk
    Options
    I also had a very happy marriage, he was so laid back it was unreal, nothing ever fazed him even when our children were small. He too would be a hard act to follow. I think he would hate me being alone and would want me to find someone new but I just don't feel right about it somehow. Maybe if he appeared in my life I might feel differently but the option at the moment would be online dating and the thought of that fills me with horror. It aint happening. :rotfl:

I lost my hubby January 2014 so 4 years 3 months.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    age needs to come into it too and at 70 I am done with cleaning up after any male. Very different for younger people
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your well wishes. X
    It wasn't too bad at work today a dear friend of mine was on the same section, so she understands. I think the miserable weather affects me too.
    It's so true that the loneliness even when we see other people is hard . I may try a radio again, but I find music sets me crying, either the words or what it reminds me of.
    I'm only 54 but don't feel like I would ever want anyone in my life again,I know you never know, but even the thought of loving someone so much and then dying and going through the heartache all over again, is enough to put me off being with someone.
    Hope everyone is doing ok. Much love.x
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ahh I am sorry wort, You are young, I never realised how young. Try not to think of this as the end of your world. Its a bad bend in the road. I know what you mean by going through it twice. I hope you and anyone open to it, can find peace and happiness again

I have LBC on in the other room at the moment, it is babbling and I cannot hear it properly but it is (pathetically) company and a voice
  • White_musk
    Options
    That's an excellent point Wort. Fall in love again, build a new life to suddenly be widowed all over again. I think for me, once was more than enough.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    I was widowed a couple of weeks before l was 50 and it been 3.5 years without my DH. We were together 32 years which is a life time. I have met someone else he's not a replacement for DH and never will be but it's nice to hv a male to do things with, go on holiday with and have him look after me. He has 2 drawers for his clothes here and that will be it, no moving in. I love my own space now and can please myself what l do, buy or eat and
    I enjoy my own company. We are all different in how we want to spend our remaining years and l think we all know life is too short and we're only here once and l for one am going to make the most of it.
    Count down to retirement 2023
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure