Sleeping with a stain am06

Options
Hi,
I've had an awful night's sleep as it was so warm last night. I had the top window open but had to draw the curtains otherwise I'll wake up when the sun rises (I also wouldn't open any other windows as I'm petrified of being burgled). Although it helped to cool the room down, I was still hot as the curtains prevent any breeze from coming in.
Last summer our house was really stuffy upstairs and looking back, I don't know how I slept. But this year I really need to figure out a way to cool down so thought about getting a fan. The buffeting will keep me awake so have been looking at dysons bladeless fans. I'm just wondering others experiences with them when trying to sleep? Also, what fan setting is suitable for sleep? The general consensus is that anything above 5 is audiable during daytime use. During nighttime use fan speed 2 appears to be as high as you can go before it becomes a nuisance... Is this enough to help cool the room though?
Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What makes the stain?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One of the strangest thread titles I've seen. I can't imagine what it's supposed to say because for the life of me I can't work out how it might relate to the actual question.

Can you lock more windows ajar? It would be much more effective than having a single window open. Unless you can place a fan in an effective position where it can draw in cooler air from outside and push warmer air outside, all it will do is circulate the warm air already in the room.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of the strangest thread titles I've seen. I can't imagine what it's supposed to say because for the life of me I can't work out how it might relate to the actual question.

It had me intrigued as well. I'm guessing it's an auto-correct blooper for "Dyson AM06" desk fan ?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It had me intrigued as well. I'm guessing it's an auto-correct blooper for "Dyson AM06" desk fan ?
    Get yourself down to Bletchley Park!
  • greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    icon1.gifSleeping with a stain am06

I nominate this to be MSE clickbait post of the day.
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    We have a couple of these for the warmer months
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-tower-fan-3-speed-white/300-7891.prd?source=others

Not particularly noisy, can't say I've noticed any buffeting, considerably cheaper and has a timer. Certainly helps and neither me, the misses or the baby has had any trouble sleeping with it in the room.

As mentioned though, fans don't cool anything, no matter how much you pay for them.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You adapt to the sound of a fan very quickly - a couple of nights should do it.

IME the best fan setting for undisturbed sleep is one or two (out of three) on my conventional fans.

I've never used the expensive Dyson fan but when my elderly mother was in hospital a while back, they put one of those in her room and I must admit it was very quiet and effective but at that price, I'll stick to my cheapo fans and just rely instead on the human ability to adapt to any given situation/environment. :D
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had one of these in our last house. Fantastic!
  • barnaclebill
    barnaclebill Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do get used to fan noise and I do remember there were cheapish fans that had a water tank below and some type of material that drew the water up as the fan air blew through it cooling the air.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Although any new fan might keep you awake at first, I've found I quickly tune out of it and it can actually be useful for masking neighbour noise.

Try a normal fan first before investing in a Dyson. The larger ones are better at cooling and for a consistent gentle noise than smaller flimsier ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure