Bald tyres on a car

Comments

• straggler
    straggler Posts: 119 Forumite
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    No, overheating is far more related to pressures than tread depth - the knobbly bits are there for grip, not cooling fins (I know they look a bit like a heatsink but....). In fact because tread blocks flex more than a "solid" surface they create extra heat which offsets any additional cooling at the surface.

The difference in puncture risk is also pretty marginal - you're only talking about 5mm difference in the length of object needed to puncture a half-worn tyre v a fully bald one - and punctures very rarely cause a "blow out" unless you ignore them and end up running the pressures too low (see point 1)

There's also a counter argument that something long enough to puncture with low tread but not long enough to puncture with deeper tread can easily sit in the deeper tread unnoticed, quietly chewing away at the tread cords and weakening the carcass.

A lot of misinformation there.....

You say the difference between tread depth is "only" 5mm. That is plenty enough to allow a serious puncture to occur and as the structure of the tyre would be compromised due to excessive wear then a rapid deflation is far more likely than with a tyre in good condition.

Tyres for the road are designed to last as long as the tread. The structure is designed to be safe only as long as the tread lasts. Tyre construction and safety is about far more than tread depth.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slicks are so much faster and less effort than nobbly tyres which is why it's great you can do that on a bike (obviously not going to do that on my car!) - noticeable how much more effort you need on a 35c nobbly/winter tyre vs 25c slicks
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    straggler wrote: »
    Tyres for the road are designed to last as long as the tread. The structure is designed to be safe only as long as the tread lasts.
    If there was any basis whatsoever in fact for that statement then there'd be no such thing as a remould industry.
    Tyre construction and safety is about far more than tread depth.

Absolutely agree - the construction is entirely separate from the tread except to the extent that they're glued together. Which is why cuts in tread are absolutely fine but cuts into the constructiony bits aren't.
  • straggler
    straggler Posts: 119 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2017 at 4:53PM
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    If there was any basis whatsoever in fact for that statement then there'd be no such thing as a remould industry.

Absolutely agree - the construction is entirely separate from the tread except to the extent that they're glued together. Which is why cuts in tread are absolutely fine but cuts into the constructiony bits aren't.

These days there isn't much of a remould industry for car tyres. Ever wondered why?! You could always ask Michelin, Dunlop etc what they think, I suppose.....

You really need to do some more research......
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You really need to do some more research......

It doesn't matter whether or not there's "much of an industry" (which is mainly down to the availability of cheap Chinese brands pushing them out of the market). What matters is that there is an industry - it even has it's own industry association right here in the UK:

http://retreaders.org.uk/retreading/questions-answered/

You can, if you wish, buy remoulds up to V rated (149mph) from plenty of Uk suppliers:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=v+rated++remould&tbm=shop&*

Perhaps you haven't done your research before posting so. in case you weren't aware, remoulds are made from tyres which have already worn out their original tread. If the carcass was designed to "wear out" at the same point then they wouldn't be allowed.

It really is as simple as that.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    I hope what remoulds there are available now are better than what they used to be i.e. drive down the road and leave the tread behind.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2017 at 8:39AM
    It's very simplistic to say "bald tyres have better grip in the dry". Tyres designed to be used in the dry only (racing slicks) will have more grip but road tyres are designed to have tread. Once the tread has worn to nothing the tyre can easily fail as the structural integrity of the tyre is seriously weakened.
    Tread doesn't affect the "structural integrity" of the tyre. The sidewall, yes absolutely, but not the tread.

The two things are simply not related. One does not affect the other. They are both affected by use, obviously, but they are not the same.

The rules on tread are very silly imo, I really can't see why you aren't allowed slick tyres, but them's the rules I suppose.

My brother was once in town and managed to insult a police officer, the officer then spent 15 minutes checking every single little thing on his car until he found something to issue a fine with; he found one of the tyres was only 1.5mm tread, and fined him and forced him to get the car towed home.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »

My brother was once in town and managed to insult a police officer, the officer then spent 15 minutes checking every single little thing on his car until he found something to issue a fine with; he found one of the tyres was only 1.5mm tread, and fined him and forced him to get the car towed home.

Good old "fail the attitude test". Whatever he did to get the attention of the police, if he'd simply been polite he'd have gone away with a warning and no issue. Bit of respect goes a long way
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Good old "fail the attitude test". Whatever he did to get the attention of the police, if he'd simply been polite he'd have gone away with a warning and no issue. Bit of respect goes a long way
    Eh, from my brother's side of the story I am with him. He was just standing outside his parked car on an empty street, waiting to pick up some friends, and the police officers were asking him what he's doing. He told them it's none of their business and he had a right to be there, and that prompted them to act like absolute !!!!!!!!s. Last time I checked its not a crime to stop your car late at night. Guess they had nothing better to do than to bully a 17 year old new driver.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Tread doesn't affect the "structural integrity" of the tyre. The sidewall, yes absolutely, but not the tread.

The two things are simply not related. One does not affect the other. They are both affected by use, obviously, but they are not the same.

The rules on tread are very silly imo, I really can't see why you aren't allowed slick tyres, but them's the rules I suppose.

You can't have slick tyres because they have very poor grip in wet conditions!.
    Also your brother had illegal tyres on his car so it's a good thing that the police checked the car and found that out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure