Entitled to benefits looking after disabled husband?

Comments

• Pa_Ja
    Pa_Ja Posts: 134 Forumite
    the Carer's Allowance earnings limit is £116 a week from April 2017 currently even though your father is on PIP her earnings are way too high for eligibility for carers allowance.

That's part of my reason for asking. Its to help find a better work/life/domestic/carers balance.
    If she were to drop to four or three days that would mean her income would be £15k or £11k respectively.
    Would that be reflected elsewhere when looking to seek further income support?

Thanks everyone
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pa_Ja wrote: »
    Update:

Since my original post I've since discovered my father receives around £135 a week in PIP and mobility.
    My mother's incomes is around £19k a yr.

OK can you tell us how the PIP award is made up?

So, daily living - standard or enhanced?

Am thinking of working tax credits with the severe disability element which would allow your mum to work 16 hrs a week minimum and claim working tax credits as her partner is ' incapacitated'. Dad would need to be in receipt of enhanced daily living award of PIP for mum to qualify.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    It doesn't have to be a close relative who claims carer's allowance, is there anyone else who could be his carer where it made more financial sense?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    OK can you tell us how the PIP award is made up?

So, daily living - standard or enhanced?

Am thinking of working tax credits with the severe disability element which would allow your mum to work 16 hrs a week minimum and claim working tax credits as her partner is ' incapacitated'. Dad would need to be in receipt of enhanced daily living award of PIP for mum to qualify.

The severe disability element would not allow her to work 16hrs and claim WTC.

If she is under 60, she is expected to work at least 30hrs per week to qualify for WTC. Once over 60 she can claim WTC working 16hrs per week. That does assume there are no children under 16 or under 20 in full time non advanced education.

If he is in enhanced daily living of PIP then they can claim the severe disability element however she needs to meet the hours criteria first.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    When did your father have his stroke? Was he in employment before that date? If so, how many hours per week was he working.
  • Pa_Ja
    My father was employed up until June 2014. He lost his job.
    He had his stroke November2014.
    He receives the enhanced benefit.

Thanks
  • Darksparkle
    What hours does your mum currently work?
    What is she considering changing to?
    What would her income be on reduced hours?
    Do they have any other income currently?
    When will your mum be 60?
  • Pa_Ja
    1) 35hr wk
    2) Looking at possibly dropping 1 day, 2 if feasible
    3) Reduced income I assume would be pro-rata as per her £19k income therefore it would drop to £15,200 or £11,400.
    4) no other income
    5) she is currently 56 yrs old
  • Darksparkle
    How many hours would she do if reducing the number of days (it's the hours that are relevant not how many days she does)
  • Pa_Ja
    I guess there is potential for a degree of flexibility from her employer.
    If she dropped a day that would mean she worked 28 hours. There could be an opportunity to drop to 30 but still have day off, just longer working days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure