Avoiding Oil stocks in a FTSE tracker

Options
I'm looking for UK tracker/passive funds that avoid BP/Shell etc. Do you know of any?

Comments

• aberlyfid_2000
    Options
    surprisingly thin ground....

this comes close, but appears that the miners are also stripped out:
    BMO Responsible UK Equity
    https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/b/bmo-responsible-uk-equity-class-2-accumulation
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There are two US-based Index funds (ETFs IIRC) I came across when looking earlier this year.

You might try looking for UK "ethical" funds maybe theres one that matches but their charges tend to be high for no discernible reason I can see.

I've just started investing directly in whats called "sustainable" energy stocks, eg solar/wind (mostly) within ETFs and ITs apart from a couple of companies in the industry.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you start making management decisions then you really cease to be a passive investor. Some ethical/socially responsible funds will meet your criteria but you are looking at a more active approach in general.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I've just started investing directly in whats called "sustainable" energy stocks, eg solar/wind (mostly) within ETFs and ITs apart from a couple of companies in the industry.

What ones?
    I hold ishares electric cars (ETF) and Gravis Clean Energy (fund)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Both BP and Shell are realigning themselves. Will be major players in the years ahead. The greater the disinvestment the more rewarding holding the stocks will become.
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    What ones?
    I hold ishares electric cars (ETF) and Gravis Clean Energy (fund)

INRG, TRIG, Orsted, a wild card BYD (BYDDY) and not really an energy stock but I do have some Tesla more for speculation as I can see it getting back to 400 over the next year or so.
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Both BP and Shell are realigning themselves. Will be major players in the years ahead. The greater the disinvestment the more rewarding holding the stocks will become.

I think BP and Shell will have a lot of stranded assets that will hurt them. Their investments in renewable and EV charging, whilst large relatively, are microscopic in relation to their overall assets
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 14 October 2019 at 10:17PM
    Options
    At the end of the day, the FTSE100 is about 16% oil and gas, but that comes from just three stocks - Royal Dutch Shell A & B, and BP. Total £295 billion market cap. In the broader FTSE All-Share, there are thirteen oil and gas stocks, but those ten extra stocks with average of a billion market cap each only take the market cap up to £305bn.

So basically whether you look at a FTSE100 tracker or a FTSE all share tracker, it's just Shell and BP driving nearly all the oil and gas component of those passive returns.

As such, you could get basically the same return as a 'FTSE UK ex-oilngas' tracker by putting £10,000 into a FTSE100 or FTSE all-share tracker, and then taking short exposure for £1600-worth of Shell and BP, to give you approx net nil exposure to that industry. You could do that relatively easily using a spreadbet or CFD provider such as IG.com. There's transaction/spread costs in doing that, but not massively expensive.

I can't say I would do it myself, but then I can't say I would buy a FTSE ex-oil tracker (or a FTSE UK inc-oil tracker for that matter).
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    And presumably that could be fairly easily expanded to a global tracker with a short against oil generally? Because you shouldn't be encouraging anyone to invest in the FTSE100/as :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure