Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PaleScene
    • By PaleScene 9th Feb 05, 10:19 AM
    • 1,029Posts
    • 800Thanks
    PaleScene
    Migration? (in simple terms please!)
    • 9th Feb 05, 10:19 AM
    Migration? (in simple terms please!) 9th Feb 05 at 10:19 AM
    Hiya

We are currently with Wanadoo (from Freeserve days) for Broadband and are paying 27.99/mth though I am not sure what limits or speed we're at.

I know this is a moving market and think we could do a lot better - but don't really understand what I'm looking at do comparisons.

Any advice and suggestions please - the salient factors are that my husband is an internet gamer so our normal usage is probably not suitable for lowest usage packages and both of us are concerned about migration time (I'm very hands-on, okay neurotic, about keeping tabs on the banking).

Any advice gratefully received - plus having read of MAC codes an explanation would be useful how they work
Page 1
    • gary38uk
    • By gary38uk 9th Feb 05, 6:20 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    gary38uk
    • 9th Feb 05, 6:20 PM
    • 9th Feb 05, 6:20 PM
    see:
    www.adslguide.org
    for a list of isp's

http://www.efhbroadband.com/
    11.75, month, 512 unlimited.

mac number:
    MAC number; this is a generated authenication code that the ISP produces. Without the MAC number you will find it impossible to migrate.
    You must bear in mind that you can only migrate to a like-for-like product. For example, if you have a 50:1 1024kbps product with your current ADSL provider, you can only migrate to same. It is impossible to migrate to a faster/slower speed and the only way to move to a new speed is once migration has been completed to then place a regrade order to change to another products.
    One last issue is that some ISP's (Freeserve we think is so far the only one that does this) push the limits of ADSL beyond their recommended thresholds and so when you cancel your service with them you will find yourself unable to get ADSL with us as your line is unsuitable for an ADSL IPStream service. ISP's that based their ADSL service's on BT's Datastream platform they can invaribaly take greater risks with regards to connecting customers who would otherwise be unable to get an ADSL service. As a result we have had many people who have left ISP's to try and come across to ourselves but then only to have had their order rejected by BT due to the technical parameters of an ADSL IPStream service being much tighter.
    • scottmartin
    • By scottmartin 10th Feb 05, 7:54 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scottmartin
    • 10th Feb 05, 7:54 PM
    • 10th Feb 05, 7:54 PM
    How long have you been with Wanadoo? If you've been with them for at least 12 months, then give them a ring and say that you're thinking of going to someone else because you're not happy with the price etc, and they'll undoubtedly knock some money off your monthly charge.

After trying this with Tiscali I'm currently paying 17.99 a month for 512k Unlimited package instead of 24.99.

Also, if they do this for you, ask what speed your connection is, and if you're only on 512k ask to be upgraded to 1mb. Your husband will love you forever as his online gaming will become so much better.

Give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

244Posts Today

3,560Users online

Martin's Twitter