BA American Express Card

Does anyone have any experiance of amrican express BA keep sending me pre-approved forms for there BA American Express Card buti'm alwys suspicous of pre-approved offers,but i was tempted by this for the airmiles programi i am already in.

The thing that has put me off is people i have spoken to say american express is the hardest firm to get into is this true or any advice would be great.

Comments

• Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    Hi...

Absolute poo...! BA Amex are really good I find...Only had one issue with them, but it actually worked out good in the end anyway..! More on that later!

I have had the BA amex card since 2000 now, still use it to this day. I have the top card that they offer, its the Premium Plus Card which I highly reccomend and its worth going for although if I remeber its £120 each year to use. It will give you 1.5 BA Air Miles for each £1 that you spend. Note, BA Air Miles are different to Air Miles.

I assume you are already an BA Executive Club member as the BA Amex is strictly by application/invitiation only for these members, frequent fliers etc...

Basically, the Top tier card is really worthwhile going for. Yes you do pay for the privelege of collecting the miles quicker but it has its benefits too. Check the "BA Amex" website - google search it for more info, but here is my take on it....
    • You will collect miles quicker.
    • Once you have achieved £15,000 spend on the card, they will send you a free companion voucher! Meaning, when you exchange your miles for a flight, someone can come with you free!!! :D
    • Double BA Miles on BA flight if you use the card to pay for the flight...so its 3 BA miles per £1 spent on this card.
    • Permanent low Balance transfer, cant remember what, but its good...but I clear my bill monthly anyway...
    • The £120 can be reduced...just open up a Blue amex card too, and you will be a dual card holder, and Amex reduce the rate considerably....mine used to be £72 a year, goes down to £30 purely for having a blue amex account open that I dont use!! This was some time ago, but I know I dont pay £120...
    • Travel Accident Insurance
    • Purchase protection including online
    • Lots more...check the site...

You can normally have words with a Amex phone rep and they will probably waiver the cost of the £120 fee further....try your luck it worked for me but do it later in the year or once they have charged you...ie whinge!!!

So far, I have exchange my miles for 2 long haul flights over 2 years, both occasions I received companion vouchers, of which one year we were upgraded to first class!! ! :) You only pay for the airport taxes when you make a BA miles claim....roughly £70-90 for 2 people...it depends.

So basically, 4 free tickets for handing over a piece of plastic!!! ! It really is that good....

You can view the amex bill online, Its pretty good. https://www.ba.com will show you the air miles accumulate too!

Now...the only bad thing that happened to me was when I was abroad once on holiday, some muppet went shopping with my amex card that they managed to clone somehow somewhere - ???. Stupid people at Richer Sounds in the UK opted to allow 2 transactions of close to £3000 each go through without doing any security checks (even more muppets).....and I got stung as a result while on holiday. Knew it was okay and had little to worry about as I was not even in the UK when it took place.

Amex sorted it double quick time, service was great, even reimbursed me for the international phone bills. New card was sent sharpish. Little annoyed with they're security procedures. But the upside was I gained £6000 worth of BA miles courtesy of the fraud and well on my way to my next freebie tickets!! !

Hope this helps, there are more ways of getting miles, and stuff.....its worth going for....might be wise to go for another amex product first, as that was the way I did it ie: blue so you can get the reduced fee when you take up the BA version.

IF anyone else knows any good accelerated methods for gaining the miles...let us know!! ! !

Lopo...! ::)
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family