We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Still plugging away...
    Finally got all my greenhouse pots empty & drying before I give them a brush & hoover. Repotted my liquorice in very deep pots for overwintering in the greenhouse and started repotting my malabar spinach as I don't think it'll survive outdoors or in the workshop.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nothing happening here except the rain and more rain, I'm getting a bit fed up with it.

I spend about 80% of my time outdoors with one thing and another. I've got some pretty good outdoor stuff but the temperature is still in the high teens so I find it very uncomfortably hot to wear loads of layers. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the top of a feed bag and two arm holes and wearing that - waterproof and lightweight !!! :D
  • unrecordings
    You can get those camping/festival ponchos quite cheap I think
    Maybe something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/summit/771005/emergency-poncho/dp/LH04503?st=poncho

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can get those camping/festival ponchos quite cheap I think
    Maybe something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/summit/771005/emergency-poncho/dp/LH04503?st=poncho

Many thanks, I'll have a look. it sounds better than a DIY effort
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for those suggestions re thickening my green tomato sauce. DH is very impressed with it as a spread at the moment and after a rare purchase of bread (pumpernickel) the bread has all gone, suggesting he quite likes it.

I don't think I've got any Certo left in my store cupboard....

You could always try boiling a couple of apples in with it..
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • unrecordings
    Managed another couple of hours today, and though very tired, feel much better for it. In the never ending pot cleaning task, I had a brainwave. I got some brushes that have a hex drill shaft and attached them to my pillar drill. Makes cleaning pots with one hand so much easier (though messier). Also repotted the rest of my malabar spinach for indoors & Mrs Un dealt with the lavender.

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Well the lawn would have received a late cut today but we discovered the mower battery alas hadn,t been fully plugged into the charging unit when it had last been used, (it's a bit stiff to insert) so alas it was as flat as a pancake.

Hopefully an overnight charge and a dry night will enable us to get it done tomorrow. Grass still growing fast with all this rain and fairly mild temperatures so mower hibernation seems to be taking place later every year.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nothing directly with gardening, but 1 lady on our site runs a charity table throughout the season, to put excess plants/crops etc. She raised £444 and tonight had a little drinks reception to thank the regulars who support this. We were invited and had a very pleasant evening
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    What a good idea to do it in a formal way like this . We do it informally in our village library where people will sometimes drop produce off but publicising it more widely and perhaps extending it to other products which are surplus to requirements might help raise a little more money.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cut a lovely cabbage and dug a couple of parsnips for Sunday lunch.they were delicious
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family