I don’t have a mobile phone.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Details of Wifi Callling:
    https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-wifi-calling
    Other mobile networks are available. My mobile is not on the EE list, but works fine with WiFi Calling on EE.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 July 2019 at 1:22PM
    I use a basic mobile phone for operating various accounts and for personal reasons steered clear of using banking apps. As mentioned above, contact the providers to discuss options, re: land line alternatives.
    Worth reading - Which? report.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/06/new-online-security-checks-exclude-people-without-mobile-phones-or-decent-signal/.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was quite a late adopter but realised that being female in an old car it was probably a good idea to have one..

You don't have to let it rule your life. On one PT job as a support worker I gave them my landline number but not my mobile. As I explained if I'm driving or teaching I won't answer anyway, so leave a message on my landline at home.;-)

Some apps are useful: I have tide tables on mine, for example, as well as train times and weather of course. The recent programmes about the moon landings bring home the power we can now carry around.

I can understand the resentment for the need to carry one around, and some aspects can be intensely annoying but on balance I suspect you'd find a cheap phone very useful. I pay £6 a month on Giff Gaff and tend not to get anywhere near my allowance, particularly for data and messages.
  • paparossco
    paparossco Posts: 293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    My brother on the south coast gets a French mobile signal, my cousin in the Highlands gets no signal at all...
    The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.
    Wayne Dyer
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not all phones support WiFi calling/texting and certainly those cheaper ones which people have been recommending in order that people may receive texts certainly don't.

and pretty well none of them allow it on PAYG type - only on monthly contracts
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I can understand the resentment for the need to carry one around
    But in this case OP would only need one when wishing to access app-based savings accounts so, on the fairly safe assumption that OP would prefer to access such accounts through more traditional online banking, it really shouldn't be onerous to have a mobile somewhere near the computer or whatever device is normally used for accessing browser-based facilities (and posting on web forums....).

Likewise for those unhappy at carrying a phone in anticipation of the forthcoming strong customer authentication requirements - these only apply for online banking or online purchases, not face-to-face PIN-verified (or contactless) card transactions, so in itself this doesn't necessitate starting to carry a phone around....
  • thedean
    thedean Posts: 19 Forumite
    No signal at home can be a problem. Why most banks and payment cards do not offer a choice of landline or mobile for verification is strange. The tax HMRC, google, Microsoft do. It's a lot more difficult to hijack a landline..
  • thedean wrote: »
    No signal at home can be a problem. Why most banks and payment cards do not offer a choice of landline or mobile for verification is strange. The tax HMRC, google, Microsoft do. It's a lot more difficult to hijack a landline..
    My bank have offered a landline choice. Also have a verification device which I've had for years anyway to verify high value online transactions, though they don't publicise that as much as presumably it costs them more. I can't see how they can insist on using mobiles as the means where their customers cannot use them. Be persistent.
  • lifemagic
    lifemagic Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spare a thought for people living abroad for extended periods. Nowadays the loss of a phone or sim/service failure, theft etc will be a major major headache and expense.
  • NS&I let you use a landline for a code as does TSB and Lloyds banks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport