Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jazelwood
    Looking for a chaep Internet dial up provider????
    • 28th Jan 05, 9:45 AM
    Looking for a chaep Internet dial up provider???? 28th Jan 05 at 9:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

My situation is that i'm looking for a cheap internet provider with standard dial up. I am looking for something that covers between 7am and 9pm ideally mon through to sunday. I'm on BT not a cable area.

I'm on tesco at the moment and it is just up until 4pm which is no good only 5.99 or something a month though.

I'm considering v21 for 9.99 per month anytime for 42hrs per week anytime.

Anyone know anyone better i have heard of fish for net or fast for net or something that does 6.99 per month unlimited but cant remember exactly how to find them???

Anyway over to you, please help??????
Page 2
  • FruGal
    for info;

fast4 Marketing asks about net4nowt.co.uk and ispreview.co.uk

fast4 is effectively a discount clearance outlet for V TWO ONE (v21.co.uk)

V TWO ONE website has the associated collective enterprise server details and also pleased to say they are the 'back-end' of The Free Internet, planet dial, Free 24-7.net
    Last edited by FruGal; 07-02-2005 at 3:45 PM. Reason: extension
    • loobyloose
    • By loobyloose 7th Feb 05, 11:49 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    loobyloose
    Hi Frugal,

no they dont want to push broadband onto me, they were more insistant that i breached their terms and conditions for reconnecting too quickly and too much internet usage. You know as well as i know that if your in the middle of something and the cut off time pops up, you reconnect straight away.
    It did sound like they are getting tighter on this. Whats more worrying is i didnt even get a warning, just an email saying from immediate effect that im getting cut off, then wham, i got cut off.
    :confused:
  • FruGal
    Hi, Loobyloose

Hi Frugal,

no they dont want to push broadband onto me, .
    by loobyloose
    That's surprising. They didn't try to market anything? Does one hand no what the other is doing? Are they making best use of resources? I'll make it an issue to follow that up. Surely corporate communications should be more effective than that!

Were you using streamed links? I think the auto thresholds for Fast4 may be a bit stuffy like.
    Last edited by FruGal; 07-02-2005 at 4:08 PM. Reason: rephrase
  • LightWave
    I've had my account cut a few times now in the past couple of weeks, and had the exact same email...
    (I thought it was just my problem! - I did'nt even get chance to read the email they sent, the first time it happened!)

...when i rang them up quickly, they said it was because my modem was on automatic redial - reconnecting by itself, therefore running-up the time spent online...(an unattended connection)

"...so i'll change my modem settings to redial manually shall I?"

"...yeah, that'll do it", they said.

uh huh...

It's kind-of true about the modem running up the time, but I can have my modem set to automatic redial, but spend less time online than before (below the limit), and NOT have my account cancelled...at first they did'nt want to say that my time online IS actually limited...so they used the modem argument to explain how i'm clocking up the hours...and if i change the setting, all will be well. Yeah right.

Apparently their computer decides now that you're online too much (hogging the line) - you're account is flagged, then the manager/supervisor has the last say as to whether the account is cancelled......
    ...you're sent a swift email.....and then Bang! - Bob used to be you're uncle!

- Account terminated -

...and of course, the Terms & Conditions for dialup page......is errrrrr......almost blank........as usual.
    Last edited by LightWave ; 07-02-2005 at 6:03 PM.

• FruGal
    what if you had a choking browser?

Would you think it possible to address individual connections eg to throttle?
  • LightWave
    ...all they need is you're Ip address/usage logs - so it does'nt matter if u have you're modem set to redial or not - if u go over their usage limit now - you'll get kicked.

• loobyloose
    • By loobyloose 8th Feb 05, 12:27 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    loobyloose
    exactly just what lightwave said!

happened exactly like that. I've writen a letter off to them today, dont think it'll do much good, or they'll say they never received it! yes i know i could of sent recorded, but i havent got the 65p right here right now.
    Is it worth contacting anyone like trading standards or something as 'unlimited' isnt unlimited to them. They cant advertise something they dont deliver as so to speak. I'm right peeved off on this one.
  • margaret
    exactly just what lightwave said!

happened exactly like that. I've writen a letter off to them today, dont think it'll do much good, or they'll say they never received it! yes i know i could of sent recorded, but i havent got the 65p right here right now.
    Is it worth contacting anyone like trading standards or something as 'unlimited' isnt unlimited to them. They cant advertise something they dont deliver as so to speak. I'm right peeved off on this one.
    by loobyloose

Last year I joined clara.net on their 'unlimited' package but after a couple of months they told me that they were changing me to 'business user' as I was online so much---a jump up to 28 a month for dial up. I said goodbye!
  • Edinburghlass
    I have read this thread with interest. Is it not a better idea to pay a little bit more per month to have a reliable connection and true 24/7?

I used Tesco.net for dial up which is 12.50 a month, true 24/7, first time connection and although its a two hour cut off there was no problem about redialing. I think all these problems with redialing and worry about usage would stress me more!
  • andy88
    by loobyloose
    Do you think Trading Standards might be more likely to read the T&C than you?
    • loobyloose
    • By loobyloose 8th Feb 05, 8:23 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    loobyloose
    Yea i was on virgin til they started trying to take extra from my card, they are still trying to sort out what happened.
    I read the reviews on here about fast4 before i signed up as it was generally good.
    I will be signing up with someone else next month after i get my cc bill to pay something on it to allow me to sign up somewhere else.

Looks like i have myself my very own Little stalker! If trading standards could actually view there terms and conditions. So who would let someone take their money and not receive what they wanted and never complained.
  • oap
    Hi, I use clara.net 9.99 a month, unlimited access between 6pm and 2am, and all weekend. I was on clara 4.99 a month for 20 hours , signed up for one year, or 7.99 a month on a monthly basis. On the 20 hours, if you go over your time, they charge you at bt rates less I think 20 or 25%, and you get quite a lot for that if you dont go over too much. Can anyone better this 9.99 per month unlimited between the hours as above? Thanks Regards oap
    • loobyloose
    • By loobyloose 10th Feb 05, 10:38 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    loobyloose
    Well I have a letter back from fast4 basically they say i use the internet too much and these following packages might be more suitable for me.

Lite Extra: 15hrs per week 5 per month
    Lite: 42hrs per week 9.99 per month
    Standard: 224hrs per month for 13.99 per month

Broadband 512: 16.99 plus activation fee 58.75, hardware 29.99 completely unlimited

Well i wonder how long it takes to chuck everyone off of their 6.99 !!!!!!!! unlimited package to force you onto those above.

just thought i'd post this for your info.
    • theloft
    • By theloft 11th Feb 05, 11:59 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    dial-up
    Well I have a letter back from fast4 basically they say i use the internet too much and these following packages might be more suitable for me.

Lite Extra: 15hrs per week 5 per month
    Lite: 42hrs per week 9.99 per month
    Standard: 224hrs per month for 13.99 per month

Broadband 512: 16.99 plus activation fee 58.75, hardware 29.99 completely unlimited

Well i wonder how long it takes to chuck everyone off of their 6.99 !!!!!!!! unlimited package to force you onto those above.

just thought i'd post this for your info.
    by loobyloose
    I am a very satisfied Fast4 user . (see Fast4 Connection Diary2 Thread).The problem as I see it is that because it is a cheap dial-up service, some people tear the backside out of it, so to speak. What is the point in staying connected if you are not browsing or downloading? All this means is that someone else cannot get logged on and with a contention ratio of 50:1 this is going to cause problems. Surely if you want or need continuous uninterrupted connection it has to be BB. Also where did you get the prices from Fast4 ? There is nothing on their site about LITE packages, just the straightforward 6.99 per month deal. Their sister company V21 however do offer a range of packages, starting with LITE! Perhaps Fast4 are branching out
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • loobyloose
    • By loobyloose 11th Feb 05, 8:52 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    loobyloose
    hi,

as i said fast4 sent me the letter with these new price plans and packages.
    I do not leave it connected, thats the whole point, i use what i need to then disconnect, i only left it connected ONCE when i popped downstairs for a quick bite. They dont like people using the service ie..unlimited! when in fact it is limited but they dont tell you.
    • theloft
    • By theloft 15th Feb 05, 8:01 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    ISP non-geographic
    which do we believe?

Do you read other threads on here? Look up call 18866, find an ISP that you can call from a geographic-area code (ie starting 01 or 02), and make calls that cost 1p each. As I said before, expect no guarantees that this will last as 18866 say it is not possible. 92 hours for 58p says it is. Alternatively, others have said that some phone providers with free off-peak calls will allow similar access.
    by andy88
    I would be pleased (and so would many others I think) to find an ISP that has a geographic-area code! Can you tell us how to find these mystery ISPs ?
    Most of the free ones have a local call-rate i.e. 0845 number and the others have a fixed charge per month (like FAST4). I have searched on Google and cannot find any of the type you suggest..
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,555Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter