Forum Announcement

Comments

• 15+ years a member and happy to use the Green version, as I do most days. By all means give the back ensd a boost but the UI for desk/laptops suits me and obviously many others just fine.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've found that, since this announcement, if I comment on a post once I click the post reply button, my post gets posted and I get logged out.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    WORD LENGTH

MSE currently only allows 50 characters in a word and then inserts a rogue space.
    For example, the long string in a google doc is 56 characters.
    In the example below MSE has inserted a space between 3fk and NPS, so the full link doesn't work.
    You have to do a "linky" when you get these long words, (and many don't know how to do this)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDPvy6dgo6KvVfXfnAxpQPNmcT4iUcl1j5sYjL33fkNPSeIw/viewform

Linky version of this link

• I expect it will be worse, same as the "new design", ie harder to use, harder to navigate.
  • Currently using the green skin on my tablet (landscape, full site not mobile) for the 'jump to unread posts' button. I HATE the fixed width, and I HATE that it overrides my browser zoom; I actually quite like the blue but the jumping to new posts is the dealbreaker - and the fact that the blue automatically marks everything 'read' after each visit, even if I didn't get round to reading all the threads I wanted to.

I just ... urgh. I zoom in, then I click a link, it loads slowly (and it is just this site) one size then resizes itself to fit the sidebar as well *even though it's only using half of my screen width*!! Then I have to zoom in again, on every single page, to make everything a comfortable size. If it resized to fit my screen it would be perfect, even in portrait orientation. That's how I use every other website ...
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use the old green version too as i like it better
  • Please test and roll out gradually to a few users to test/provide feedback - I'm sure we are all aware of sites/apps (etc) that receive updates that prove unpopular, rushed, or badly tested, simply break or just drive traffic/people away.
  • Former_MSE_Tine
    Former_MSE_Tine Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 18 October 2019 at 4:48PM
    Hi everyone!

I've tried to answer what looks like the most asked questions you've posted - hopefully this should help clear up some of the things that you're all wondering! :beer:

“The Forum doesn’t seem broken to me, why change?”
    o The truth is that the Forum is broken, even if much of it is on the back end out of sight. Some things are visible to everyone like search being less than efficient, the day light savings controls, the recent site crashes and so on. The code that runs things isn’t out of the box: it’s been added to by a lot of developers over time to get all the unique things we have which on other platforms are now “standard”. This includes our Comping tick and a lot of things that made us unique when we implemented them. As time has passed browsers and server technology have changed and more and more custom “hacks” have broken. We’re at a point where we simply cannot fix any problems.

“Can we keep the green version/layout?”
    o Unfortunately we’re turning off vBulletin when we move over, but we’re working incredibly hard on taking the best bits with us from both versions into the new Forum. The look and the design of the forum will definitely be influenced by our Fab Forumite Feature Testing Group.

“If you’re not keeping the Green/Blue looks what ARE you doing?”
    o As far as possible we’re trying to do a “lift and shift” of the functionality we currently have and making it look as similar as we reasonably can. There will be some changes, but we are hoping you will agree those turn out to be improvements.

“Are you going to make the new Forum all about mobile?”
    o We’ve heard the rumours and can confirm they’re NOT true! Our clever design folks are working on the desktop design first and foremost, but yes the new Forum will be mobile friendly. That’s because tech has moved on and most are now created so they work on both and it won’t be to the detriment of the Desktop experience.

“What Forum are you moving to? Can it cope with us?”
    o We are moving to a platform called Vanilla. After a lot of technical meetings, long nights with our product team looking at all the options this was the best software to meet our needs. We had very strong criteria of security, stability, support availability, uptime, functionality, design flexibility and being very blunt cost is also a consideration. This was certainly not the cheap option, but it was the best across most of our requirements and it was not a choice made in a rush, far from it we promise!
    And yes, they can cope with our volumes and back catalogue of posts :) We won’t be the largest Forum hosted by them, although I have a feeling we are heading for “biggest challenge” title quite quickly! ;)

“Stop allowing AE’s!”
    o All this new technology should make things easier for the Forum Team and includes new tools to allow us to address AE’s and rule breaking. Much of what is new will be behind the scenes to help us look after the Forums. We’re trying to keep the front end as similar as we can.

“Please can we have/can you change/improve this:”
    o From day 1, when we go live, we are aiming for things to look as like for like as we can. There WILL be some changes to functionality, but we are trying to keep them to a minimum on the front end that you guys see. The Fab Forumite Feature Testing Group will be key over the next few months to this. When we go live we will continue to take feedback from the community and we will be able to make tweaks thanks to the new technology.

“This is just to help you monetize the Forum isn’t it?”
    o Just to be clear – no.
    The Forums have always been provided free to our users with no advertising. Whilst we do use skimlinks they in no way come close to covering even a fraction of the cost of running or hosting the Forums (like not even SLIGHTLY :o).
    MSE operates under a VERY strict Editorial Code set out by Martin many years ago and we are very clear about how we are financed. It's all here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/moneysavingexpert-finance/
    We are investing a really significant amount of money in future proofing the Forum for you. We’re doing that because we passionately believe the forum and the community lies at the core of MSE.

Hope this helps! Have a great Weekend!

MSE Tine

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
  • If you still want to join the Fab Forumite Feature Testing Group then please fill in the form on the other thread before Sunday night as we will be closing it for more applications and cracking on with the next steps as quick as possible!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    AndyCF wrote: »
    There's nothing actually wrong with VB3 to be blunt about it. V5 is pointless and V4 is a step 'sideways' :)

XF is a good alternative. WBB (latest one) is quite reasonable too. :) Both of these are up to date, secure, and relatively easy to use for both the end user and the administrators as well.
    MSE_Tine wrote: »
    We are moving to a platform called Vanilla.

Andy - what's Vanilla like?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport